Meet the neighbors: How's it going for woodcutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Giggity.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones too. The elderly neighbor next door lets me take wood from her 26 acres, but I take care of her property. I cut her yard that is 1 and 1/2 acres. I also cut the field that borders her property, about 2and 1/2 acres and a path 6 swaths wide through her other fields. Of course the path is to get to the wood.:)

As for my neighbor on the other side, his splitter has been out in my back yard since last june. He said leave it there until he needs it. Never did use the Fiskars last year except to drive a few wedges.

Makes life easier when you have good neighb's.

Kevin

I'm also pretty lucky, too, living on 75 acres. Essentially, I have Five neighbors, and the closest one is over 100 yards away and across the street. Here they are:

1. A trucker whom I almost never see.
2. Chainsaw operator with Harleys. (Double the noise, double the fun!)
3. Chainsaw operator with splitter and avid hunter/reloader/muzzleloader.
4. NFA gunsmith/salesman who does ballistics testing for local police.
5. An Amishman whose wife makes just about the best donuts I've ever had. His pastures are downwind from me.

If you don't like occasional gun bang and Harley melody, don't move into my neighborhood. Interestingly enough, nobody makes noise after dark and we seem to get along with one another. Maybe it's because everyone has his own stuff and doesn't need to borrow anything.

Last edited:
Sorry. Not familiar with that. Wanna edumicate me? :)

You have to be kidding me - really? Google "Red Green Show" and see what you can find. Use your DVR, seriously, you have to watch a few episodes. It is some of the funniest stuff you will see on TV.

You have to be kidding me - really? Google "Red Green Show" and see what you can find. Use your DVR, seriously, you have to watch a few episodes. It is some of the funniest stuff you will see on TV.

Yeah, guess I've been living in the Stone Age or something. Not much on TV these days. I got this Stihlrock chainaxe that won't hold an edge, even when I use my best flint chipper on it. Anybody know if Baileyboulders has something that'll work? WILLLLMMMAAAAA!!! :D :D

The Red Green Show is good stuff. An old neighbor was a DEAD RINGER for Uncle Red! He had the beard, always wore a flannel shirt, and the same camo hat. It was all you could do to keep a straight face when you saw him. He even sounded like him!

Red green is funny stuff.

then the rest of the summer to relax and watch the wood dry. :D :D
:agree2: I like watchin the wood dry.
I knocked off another stack of rounds today, split and stacked, that makes 5+ cords dryin as we speak. Just one more stack of rounds to go and that's it for now. I split the first three by hand and the last two with the new electric splitter (it don't look new anymore). It makes about as much noise as my neighbors swimming pool. My arms don't hurt as much after using it, but my back sure does. Never had any complaints yet, but I do wait until after 9 to run the saws.

Last edited:
We're reformed subruban sophisticates:rock:. So when the retire mode came it was based on the pee rule ( can't chose your neighbors in city/suburb ):

Look for enough land - woodlot included - that allows the male to pee in four cardinal points without disturbing anyone.

The 60a give us enough firewood forever. The only neighbors are a boatyard ~.5 k south, seasonal houses ~1k east and north, and the closest across the cove ~.2k seasonal, now up for sale.

All my firewood and pulp harvesting is done in winter. Many of the local neighbors further away also cut for themselves, so it's a way of life along with hunting fall and spring. While we don't hunt, friends do on our place. Saw noise does travel, so a nearby friend (carpenter) asks me not to cut on Sundays. Easy.

Now we do have people "From Away" as we're called, that want suburban services such as trash PU, no farm or bait smellies, full time PD and Fire, and hydrants next to their drives. It'll be a cold day in Hell for any of that here. Damn we're the real "Last Mile" for DSL/broadband ! The mile from any paved road is joy.:heart:

BTW: everything is south of here. Portland (a.k.a. Massachusetts) is a good 3 hours' drive. Yes, we are superior beings Downeast.:rockn:

P.S. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, who is "Red green" ? Is he a pecker also ? What is a pecker ?

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Green_Show

Good show, right in my wheelhouse. If you care how your boots fit and wear your underwear inside your pants, you'll probably like it, and DVD sets are available. There's a chain saw skit to which somebody posted a link a while back, it's very funny. If you slouch around with no shirt and 8 inches of boxer shorts showing above your jeans, you'll hate it. Probably.

Jack

Sorry. Not familiar with that. Wanna edumicate me? :)

You can find it on PBS usually somewhere. Or travel over to Washburn, WI and go to the lumber store. One of the owners is a Red Green lookalike and has a picture hanging up where he is posing with the real Red Green.

You'll learn clever sayings, like "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." and "Quando omni flunkus moritati." The guys in the show hang out at Possum Lodge and you'll hear shooting, chainsaws and wildlife in the background. I taped it for some friends here and they thought it sounded like the background of here.

Last edited:
My neighbors think I am just flat out nuts. I have 16-17 cord stacked, about 5 cords of rounds on the ground to be processed, have a local tree service guy droping what he can't get rid of.

So besides working a "normal" job, always working on the heat.

I guess there is never enough.

No complaints here with the neighbors.

KC

Im luckey

Hey all:

A question posed in a different thread led me to ask this more general question here.

For all you woodburners, do any of your neighbors get upset with the racket of chainsaws and splitters? Mostly I guess this question is aimed at city dwellers, as the issue isn't generally too bad out in the country, where people are spread farther apart (except for some tight developments in rural areas).

We're lucky in Ely. The town has a long history of burning wood for heat, going all the way back to its founding and continuing through today. A neighbor on one side burns wood for heat, and so do the four neighbors in a row across the street from me. So April tends to be a festival of chainsaws, and there's really no one around who would complain.

Personally, I don't cut before 9 a.m. or after 8 p.m. to make sure I don't wake or keep anyone up unnecessarily.

I know that other folks have had problems with neighbors who have problems with the noise, so I thought I'd ask and see what experiences y'all have had.

I live close to down town Indianapolis IN. I grew up on the street that i live on and know most of my nabors. Im sure some of them talk but i keep the noise down after 6 or 7pm. and don't start before 8am. If they was too say something,we do have a noise ordinance and i could start at 6am and stop at 11pm" WOW! some times the law dose work in my favor. lol!

I only split my wood where I live, I cut it all at my property & bring it home in my truck, but I'm sure my neighbors would not mind if I cut it here at home.

Back