Melted plastic around clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I searched for some info online, it seems like being started with the braked engaged.

Will this harm other parts and make some negative impact on the chainsaw itself?

企业微信截图_16781598574310.png企业微信截图_16781598653839.png
D

That’s from attempting to run the saw with the chain brake on. See it quite often at work. People forget to release the chain brake or it gets tripped without them knowing. They try to power through it until the saw starts smoking. Seen it happen to brand new saws literally a couple hours after leaving the building. It can damage parts like the brake band, clutch drum, drum bearing, etc.

Bought a ms291 with smoked plastic like that... list of stuff destroed... 2 plastic covers, clutch drum bearing, oil pump, oil line and bar no longer mated with saw body... so it leaked oil everywhere. Cure was ssome JB weld plastic in place then bolt oily bar on... separate and clean oil groove out.... Good luck with project

That’s from attempting to run the saw with the chain brake on. See it quite often at work. People forget to release the chain brake or it gets tripped without them knowing. They try to power through it until the saw starts smoking. Seen it happen to brand new saws literally a couple hours after leaving the building. It can damage parts like the brake band, clutch drum, drum bearing, etc.
Thank you for your comment and insight!

Bought a ms291 with smoked plastic like that... list of stuff destroed... 2 plastic covers, clutch drum bearing, oil pump, oil line and bar no longer mated with saw body... so it leaked oil everywhere. Cure was ssome JB weld plastic in place then bolt oily bar on... separate and clean oil groove out.... Good luck with project
Thanks for sharing your experience sir!

Had one the other day. Replaced Clutch/drum assembly, needle bearing gage and oil worm gear. Some grinding with the dremel tool. Good to go until they do it again. Costly lesson learned on their part.
Thanks for sharing, sir. It looks more serious than my pics.

Had a customer bring in a 1-year-old MS 311. The bar had no white coating on it at all... bare metal... the entire bar, clutch side burnt to hell, you could actually smell it. He was telling me that he would bury the saw in a cut and the wood would smoke like crazy, and he would just bear down on it and watch it smoke.... chain duller than hell....
He then proceeded to tell me he bought the extended warranty and wants his new saw... I gave him a "You're kidding, right?" look. He insisted that since he bought the extended warranty that he should get a new saw.
So I tear into the saw.... he melted the side cover, plastic clutch cover, the clutch drum was purple, burnt the oil pump, oil lines, clutch seal to the point I could see the bearings, and one of the balls in the bearing came loose and must have went up the transfer port because there was a big chunk of the piston missing (top of piston) on the clutch side. I doubt you could recreate a worse "Catastrophic failure" if you tried.
When I told him that there's no way he was getting a new saw, due to neglect, he was flabbergasted. He was really convinced he could purposely blow up his saw and we would just hand him a new one. He went off on me, and basically told me that my mother and father were not married when I was born, and other unpleasant things. then told me to put the saw where only my proctologist would find it and do something to myself that I think is physically impossible.
I doubt he'll buy another saw from us, but I did tell him to read the description of the warranty we put into every product bag that the customers get on purchase.
I still have the saw in back of the shop.. it makes a great conversation piece.
Some people amaze me!

Back