Merry Christmas!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Xmas day is just about over and in keeping with something I've done in the past here's the desert menu from my families gathering at today's Xmas Lunch. I have a score (minus one) siblings and everyone brings WAAAY more than what is needed.

attachment.php

3 Xmas puddings, (a traditional one based on an Aussie brewed stout and 2 others based on icecream - it was over 100F here today), a summer berry pie, and a lemon meringue pie plus a couple of other things I did not try. The stout based Xmas pudding with the brandy cream sauce was awesome and I had two helpings of that. The nieces and nephews don't like the brandy laced cream sauce so there is always plenty to bring home where a second stout based Xmas pudding is awaiting for when we feel like a bit more snacking over the next few days.

Last edited:
Happy Holidays to all!

Hope you are enjoying it with your family.

Please drive safe, and watch out for the other guy over the holidays!

I could not imagine a 100+ degrees on Christmas. I like a white Christmas.

Haha, all the way up here where I'm at in the Great White North around the 52nd parallel, it was +10°C (50°F), beautifully sunny, with a strong south wind just ripping the snow off the hillsides. You could literally watch it melting. Felt a lot more like mid-March than Christmastime. We were talking to my uncle who lives way down in Tennessee, and they got 4 inches of snow (first time in a century on Christmas day, apparently) and it was barely above freezing, I think they said like 36°F or something. :) We had some of the best weather on the whole continent yesterday, from the looks of it! And they were saying this was going to be one of the coldest, wettest winters in a long time. I dunno.

Today it's supposed to get to 104F. We have had 3 days of strong hot easterlies blowing off the desert which is just ripe for bushfires. It's been so dry some of the big Eucalyptus are starting to drop limbs. I just came back from my brothers place where a big lemon scented gum dropped an 30 ft long 12" diam branch onto their pergola and chicken shed - amazingly the pergola didn't collapse but the 441 made short work of bucking up that sucker.

I want to work on outfitting my van but it's already over 100F in the shade and probably 120F on the driveway so I'm inside under the aircon.

Today it's supposed to get to 104F. We have had 3 days of strong hot easterlies blowing off the desert which is just ripe for bushfires. It's been so dry some of the big Eucalyptus are starting to drop limbs. I just came back from my brothers place where a big lemon scented gum dropped an 30 ft long 12" diam branch onto their pergola and chicken shed - amazingly the pergola didn't collapse but the 441 made short work of bucking up that sucker.

I want to work on outfitting my van but it's already over 100F in the shade and probably 120F on the driveway so I'm inside under the aircon.

Bob, don't blame you from not wanting to work on your van. Where I live in Livermore it get up 104F and it's dry. You learn to get up real early and get things done before it starts getting unbearably hot. Your choice of a white van is good!

jerry-

Bob, don't blame you from not wanting to work on your van. Where I live in Livermore it get up 104F and it's dry. You learn to get up real early and get things done before it starts getting unbearably hot. Your choice of a white van is good!

jerry-

You're not lying! Years ago when I was a kid, we drove back to visit family in Ontario one summer, I think '91. We drove back thru the States, and it was 104-106 the whole way thru the Washington/Oregon/Idaho desert, and we were in a black-cherry-colored Plymouth minivan with 6 people and no air conditioning. NOT fun at all!

You're not lying! Years ago when I was a kid, we drove back to visit family in Ontario one summer, I think '91. We drove back thru the States, and it was 104-106 the whole way thru the Washington/Oregon/Idaho desert, and we were in a black-cherry-colored Plymouth minivan with 6 people and no air conditioning. NOT fun at all!

That was not a fun trip! I'll bet eveyone was cranky the entire trip. It's like driving through Nevada during the summer, once you've seen Nevada in the daylight, you drive it at night.

jerry-

Drove across the desert on my motorcycle one time... I was holding it right on 85mph, and it was hotter than he!!. I kept seeing dark colored dust going up behind me in the mirrors, so i kept watching it, trying to figure out what the heck was on the road doing that. Anyway, next gas stop i noticed my rear tire had tiny dust sized pieces gone from all over it!

That got me to slow down a bit, as the rubber was dusting right off the tire! It didn't do it at lower speeds...

Rob

Latest posts

Back