Meteor Cylinder Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use one of these cylinders on a saw you're paying $250 to have ported?

• Total voters
Easiest and best homemade pizza is to use Naan bread as the crust. Precook your choice of toppings (mushrooms, onions, sausage, etc.), put the naan right on the grill grates till the bottom edges brown up, flip and add your choice of sauce, cheese and toppings. Pull off when the cheese has melted and dig in! Super quick and very little mess, tastes as good as the choices you make.

I was going to suggest changing the topic to something not so inflammatory a few pages back (like maybe, politics) but I'm glad to see that everyone settled down!

Yeah there we go everyone agrees on politics:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
This is my homemade pizza for us fatboys. :msp_tongue:

267017d1355188785-pizza1-jpg

View attachment 267017

Loose the olives, both kinds. Add bacon. Send to me. TIA.

Why is that bong sitting on that table????

Well? :msp_sneaky:

No need for a bong...we had Hood River home brew. That stuff ought to come with an MSDS sheet.

Take note though on who has a coffee cup in front of him. RR2 and I had just driven practically non stop from Sacramento to Hood River. A cold beer and a warm kiss would have put me right under the table.

Last edited:
Update. New thread here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/221513.htm

I finally got a chance to make this topend comparison that I promised a few weeks ago. The test mule was my Dad's early 1st month production 046. It's always been a fantastic runner. The saw is all original and stock, with the exception of a MM mod. The DP muffler cover is even original. First of all, the numbers.

OEM Mahle
Exhaust - 103°
Transfers - 117°
Intake - 73°
Squish - .032"
Compression - 172 PSI

Meteor
Exhaust - 103°
Transfers - 122°
Intake - 72°
Squish - .016"-.022" (Reverse Tapered)
Compression - 178 PSI

Both saws start, idle and rev perfectly. Matter of fact, there's almost no difference of any kind in the useablilty or power of either topend! To say I am shock, would be an understatement! This Meteor topend runs fantastic. It only has one serious problem. That is the reverse taper and resulting tight squish. At the outer edge of the piston, where it should be the tightest, it's a nice .022", right where you'd want it. On the very edge of the combustion chamber, it's only .016". It should be greater than the .022". Had this been even .001"-002" tigheter, I would not have been comfortable running it. The rest appears to be purely cosmetic. Yes, I want a nice clean port, but it's obviously not hurting performance.

Both saws were tuned in the wood where they ran best. Surprisingly, both ended up in the 14,300-14,500 range. I don't know what it is about this saw, but it's always been a runner. Perhaps the ignition timing is more advanced than what we're used to. Who knows. If I tuned either topend to 13,500, it would be crazy rich and almost impossible to clean up in the cut. Grant it, I wouldn't run them this lean for long extended work, but my effort was to tune both saws to max performance. For a work tune, they both would still be about 14,000.

IMG_0053-M.jpg

IMG_0054-M.jpg

IMG_0055-M.jpg

IMG_0056-L.jpg

IMG_0058-M.jpg

IMG_0059-M.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back