Miller Mod Saws and the Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frequency range that is relevant here is about 130Hz to 230Hz, corresponding to 8000rpm to 14,000rpm. Audio spectrum is traditionally 20Hz to 20,000Hz. So the bandwidth is about 100Hz, and well within the range of a modern cell phone or video camera.

Further, the sample rate is adequate to record audio in the upper range of human hearing - let's assume the phone is kinda crappy and only records sounds up to maybe 12,000Hz. The Nyquist rate for that (at least 2x the highest frequency) would be 24,000Hz. Therefore at 230Hz we have about 104samples per cycle, which is overkill.

This is the audio track from a video. The amount of data in the audio is extremely small when compared to the video portion, so the compression effects are primarily in the video portion. Further, audio and video compression algorithms are an entire field of study in signal processing, and they do not function by changing frequencies within the signal. I happen to know people who have spent a lifetime doing that work, including people who were part of developing the MP3 algorithms. Any audio compression algorithm that could not preserve the data from a tiny 100Hz wide band in an audio bandwidth almost 20kHz wide would be completely unusable.

By saying it's not data, you imply it is noise. If you look at the plot I posted below, you can clearly see the fundamental frequency and its harmonic multiples. The fundamental is well correlated and some 50dB above the noise floor. Each dB increase represents a doubling of the amplitude. This was actually a damn good quality recording.

View attachment 483932

In summary, your comment is totally and completely without merit.

In reality I think you and your program should have a +- 50% accuracy rate.

Eng degree from LA Tech, 30 years in the electrical business, and well respected in my industry. Remind me where your degree is from?
I could care less about your background or if you have a degree. What are the references for your +/- 50% accuracy claim? Calculations?

i (thankfully) sorta missed all the stuff that went down in this thread. I just dont understand the need, when theres already been a mess made of a thread, to bring politics in. it makes no sense.
I think it's shaping up to be an interesting evening of reading.
Thread has been over for a couple pages or so.
Saw turned out well.. Lol..

I could care less about your background or if you have a degree. What are the references for your +/- 50% accuracy claim? Calculations?

Wait a second, you asked a question and I answered it. Now I asked a DIRECT question and I would like you to answer it. Again, remind me where your degree is from and what it is in?

Wait a second, you asked a question and I answered it. Now I asked a DIRECT question and I would like you to answer it. Again, remind me where your degree is from and what it is in?
Lol, so you can't support what wrote at all then. Thanks for playing poser.

Latest posts

Back