Miller Mod Saws and the Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn2: Have you let one stock for comparision ?
I almost did. The one I modded had a few tanks of fuel threw it. The other one is brand new. However there's a pretty good gain to be had from just a muffler mod. So saw 1 in the vid is only muffler modded. Saw 2 is ported. I wanted to know what the porting gained! :)

Before I post this vid I roughly got a 25-30% gain. Now that said the vid isn't that impressive. I ran the ported saw most of the day and it's much more impressive in the size of woods it's ment to cut. I'm running the stock 20" bar .325 safety chain. The bar for mine is 18" .325 full chisel and it cuts suoer nice over the stock saw in smaller wood. But here she is.

Don't worry Carl... There are more builders in the wings just waiting. Keep posting here and it will surprise you how many people will chime in. Even with all the bickering this site still has 100x the traffic of most other sites

Why do they shape the intake like that?
I've been told it's to cut down on the intake saw noise but idk. These saws while being the lightest in there class are not please to run stock. The are under powered and blahhhh. IMO. But i cut hedge trimming and blocking with the smaller bar better chain and it is really nice to run now. Still room for improvement I do believe. I didn't time them but I'd say it's well over 40% gains over a bone stock saw!

Intake is interesting. What is the reasoning for the pointed intake. Ports opening and closing quickly is the goal in most engines

Don't worry Carl... There are more builders in the wings just waiting. Keep posting here and it will surprise you how many people will chime in. Even with all the bickering this site still has 100x the traffic of most other sites
I am guessing that's in for a change. You know the other sites I be talking about and you have probably seen the build threads are just getting awesome. Several joint build threads to come between the builders. But that said. We will see. I just live building the saws and will share what I learn with whom ever wants to listen. But i sure do love comparing builds with Mike Lee, Randy, Tree Monkey,. It goes on and on. And most of them have left as well. And these are all guys I hold in high respect! I think Brad is still here though. And we have compared notes along this journey!

I've been told it's to cut down on the intake saw noise but idk. These saws while being the lightest in there class are not please to run stock. The are under powered and blahhhh. IMO. But i cut hedge trimming and blocking with the smaller bar better chain and it is really nice to run now. Still room for improvement I do believe. I didn't time them but I'd say it's well over 40% gains over a bone stock saw!
When talking to customers I call them a really strong 40cc saw. Guess your impression of them is about the same as mine. Very well built, balance nice, small and nimble.... Just needs a little massaging to get them up on power

I am guessing that's in for a change. You know the other sites I be talking about and you have probably seen the build threads are just getting awesome. Several joint build threads to come between the builders. But that said. We will see. I just live building the saws and will share what I learn with whom ever wants to listen. But i sure do love comparing builds with Mike Lee, Randy, Tree Monkey,. It goes on and on. And most of them have left as well. And these are all guys I hold in high respect! I think Brad is still here though. And we have compared notes along this journey!
I know the site but have not seen any of the threads over there.

Intake is interesting. What is the reasoning for the pointed intake. Ports opening and closing quickly is the goal in most engines
I'm not sure. Intake noise is what I'm told. The next build I'm seriously considering epoxy. We will see. Nice thing about epoxy is it can be taken back out if it's a no go! But we will see

I'm not sure. Intake noise is what I'm told. The next build I'm seriously considering epoxy. We will see. Nice thing about epoxy is it can be taken back out if it's a no go! But we will see
Just my $0.02. Epoxy will be a great thing to help in R&D but I will pass on it for internal use on work saw. Just something about the idea of it turns me off

Just my $0.02. Epoxy will be a great thing to help in R&D but I will pass on it for internal use on work saw. Just something about the idea of it turns me off
I agree! But some saws like the 661cm you just dont have a great choice if you want good gains. This saw is built without epoxy and those gains at least make it a contender in the 50cc class saw. Where it goes from here. We will see!

thanks for the vid , nice to see comparision vs good tune saw and ported , huge gain
No prob. The next steps will involve the saws coming apart several times. So it will be a slow process. But i will drag this thread back from the dead to give you guys any updates. And I'm always open for some good comperative thinking if you guys have thought, opinions, or experience with this model. Heck with any thing I do. Many people building on one saw will always make for a better runner for end customers.

@fordf150 I'm told this saw and the new version the cs-490 are basically the same. Would you jump in here and gives us the low down and maybe the cost of a new one. Thanks my man.

Back