MillerModSaws and the PS-7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another saw with small crankcase volume is the 357xp and the oem timing is ex. 106, transfer 118, intake 73
Thats 12 degrees blowdown!????????
They put stuffers in the 357, but I'm not sure it's volume would be considered small. It may have more than the 7900 does even with the stuffers..
Maybe someone has measured??

The 576 has short blowdown also. 13-14° is what I remember. Too long of blowdown in some saws will hold them back at higher rpms.

Would someone please explain blowdown and effects of being too high or low?
Blowdown = degrees of rotation between exhaust opening and upper transfers opening. There really is no "too high" or "too low" as it would apply to all designs.. Cause they all different..
It's like making cookies...
7900's are tough cookies to improve on...
Not impossible, just tough...
I'm glad millermod is willing to explore the 7910's..
Cause judging by the one we been running, they've proven themselves to be extremely durable and a way better tool for commercial users than the 372XT's.
Just my opinion though..

You do your best to figure out what premiss the original designers built the saw under and work with it. "Improve on it"

Very well said.......

Anytime we start thinking "they" had no idea what they were thinking.......we start going backward.

The 7900/10s I build hold more RPM in the cut than any other 70 - 80cc saw I do. They are just awesome.

Al, there are very few hard and fast rules to porting these engines. What Matt posted about transfer passage size sorta nails it though. Dual open style transfers seem to like higher transfer opening points........tighter fast flowing transfer passages work at lower points. The 7900/10 is an odd duck in all this though. If you take the transfers too high on it.........you've created a turd.

Al, there are very few hard and fast rules to porting these engines. What Matt posted about transfer passage size sorta nails it though. Dual open style transfers seem to like higher transfer opening points........tighter fast flowing transfer passages work at lower points. The 7900/10 is an odd duck in all this though. If you take the transfers too high on it.........you've created a turd.

I created a turd earlier today....

You are a turd.

datable-beard-man-meme-generator-that-s-mr-turd-to-you-bish-a5b3ba.jpg

How does this 7910 compare to a 461 in comparison in case volume and blowdown?

Back