Milling transportation - van versus pickup.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've decided its getting close to upgrade my milling transportation. I currently have an ancient (1982) mitsubishi people-mover van. I've taken the seats out so it has good capacity for carrying a couple of saws, mills, gas, oil, tools, saw horses, sack trolley, Jack etc and I like the fact that one can just lock all the stuff up inside If it were in better shape I'd keep it, but the shockies and front suspension are shot, the engine is very tired (can just make 60 mph with the wind) and the rust is starting to get very obvious in places.

My initial reaction was to just get another van but can also see value in a medium sized pickup. It's unlikely I will require 4WD but that could be handy in the future. Id like to get a small truck but I also have a parking space problem at my place it can be no longer than 16 ft or else it sticks out onto the pavement.

What do you folks on the forum use? Suggestions - comments?
Thanks

Have you thought about an Explorer or a Blazer type vehicle? I have a 1992 4WD Ford Explorer that is a knock around type vehicle for us. Its been sitting for 2 yrs or so now with a bad fuel pump. Ive been seriously thinking about replacing the pump and using it for just what you are talking about. It would be kinda nice to come in after a day of milling and hit the lock button and forget about things till tomorrow.:cheers:

Have you thought about an Explorer or a Blazer type vehicle? I have a 1992 4WD Ford Explorer that is a knock around type vehicle for us. Its been sitting for 2 yrs or so now with a bad fuel pump. Ive been seriously thinking about replacing the pump and using it for just what you are talking about. It would be kinda nice to come in after a day of milling and hit the lock button and forget about things till tomorrow.:cheers:

Don't waste time and energy dropping the gas tank and maybe the trailer hitch. Cut a hole right throught the floor above the pump. Did it with the '89 K5 Blazer, worked awesome.

Ive actually thought about doing that! If I could just figure out exactly where to cut, that is gonna be the ticket.

Every situation is different I guess. In my case, the minivan (Chevy Astro) fits all my criteria for milling. I bought it with milling wood in mind.
1) it has to carry at least 300bd ft of wet milled lumber plus saws and mills, so 1500lbs payload minimum
2) it has to have the capacity to carry stacks of 8ft long boards
3) it has to get at least 20 miles per gallon
Icing on the cake is, unlike an open backed pickup truck, when I do come home from a hard day milling, I don't have to unload that night if I don't want to, just park, lock the doors and take care of all that later.
The Astro actually is rated at 1650lbs, and I have loaded more than 2000lbs on occasion with no problems. It gets 22 miles per gallon highway even when fully loaded, and when I take out the rear seats, it does have an 8ft bed, so it fit the bill on all counts. Her it is loaded down with about 200 bd ft of maple plus mills and equipment.
van.jpg

In the states, crappy mini vans are a dime a dozen. $1200-1500 can get you a very servicable unit. Less if you really shop hard and aren't keen on paint.

Mark

i like oldsaw's setup...'cept for the late model GM...couldn't GIVE me one..
but that's a personal bias...me personally, I'd be looking for an old 3/4 ton
work van with the extended rear...

Hmmmm...sound kinda like shoppin' for a date...but i digress..

weld up and bolt in a set of square tube lumber racks with enough room in the middle to acommodate larger slabs and whatnot....be nice to have a full auto
LT-40 to go behind it too...but hey..i can dream...:givebeer:

I've decided its getting close to upgrade my milling transportation. I currently have an ancient (1982) mitsubishi people-mover van. I've taken the seats out so it has good capacity for carrying a couple of saws, mills, gas, oil, tools, saw horses, sack trolley, Jack etc and I like the fact that one can just lock all the stuff up inside If it were in better shape I'd keep it, but the shockies and front suspension are shot, the engine is very tired (can just make 60 mph with the wind) and the rust is starting to get very obvious in places.

My initial reaction was to just get another van but can also see value in a medium sized pickup. It's unlikely I will require 4WD but that could be handy in the future. Id like to get a small truck but I also have a parking space problem at my place it can be no longer than 16 ft or else it sticks out onto the pavement.

What do you folks on the forum use? Suggestions - comments?
Thanks

Hi Bob ..... depend's on what you intend to do in the future , you can put a lockable and also removable canopy on a traytop , but from what I understand a van or a small bus with rear door will suit you , but if you want to cart log's in the future , traytop is the go . Cheer's MM

Jeep

I use a fullsize (well todays fullsize) Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had pickups most of my life, and prefer the fullsize Jeep. Fold down the rear seats and you have as much or more room than a minivan, 4 wheel drive, lots of power (mines a 318, custom dual exhaust, fulltime 4x4, 20 mpg highway) and the ability to pull a real trailer. Initial investment $1200, upgrades (tires, wheels, exhaust, rocksliders) $700 or so. It now has 165,000 miles and I have no problem with jumping in it for an 8 hour round trip down the east coast.

th_IMGP02191.jpg

th_myjeep.jpg

Latest posts

Back