Mindless ramblings and a thank-you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

che

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Thought of you all yesterday.....during my first fairly productive stab at firewood for the year. Felt like I should give thanks for the lessons I've been picking up here.

I've been looking at an area of hedge for a couple years...off in the furthest corner of the farm. Wondering HOW I'm going to get it down and still walk out of there in one piece. These trees are very old (60-100 years old by their rings) and have fallen in on each other forming an interlocking, above your head, jumble. Some of it is still living, some not. To cut one piece is to risk the others falling.

Last year I cut through a large (20"?) old almost horizontal hedge tree and left it to be cut up for this years wood. Yesterday I decided to work with it. Through some experience, and with the descriptions here....I've learned what is to be expected, and how to prepare for it. These fallen snagged trees have stresses. They will pop back, twist....go everywhich way except the one I would expect sometimes....depending on what they encounter on the way down, and the growth of the surrounding trees afterwards.

It was wedged into the trunk askew, with a twist. I couldn't predict AT ALL what would happen if I cut it. It looked as though it would be twisting and moving towards me. There wasn't the option to go behind as it was in a fence row. SO.....having read so much about using ropes/chains to drag things out...I put a strap on the thing and gave it a very gently pull with the truck. Popped it right out and onto the ground where it was stable. Fine. Started looked at it wondering where to start, then looked up.....right at the 25ft x 8" widowmaker about twelve feet above my head. With a bit of pondering, remembered the posts about the 'hot shots'......figured it would be a good way to bring it down. I uncurled the towing strap again, instead of a bag of shot, I used the metal hook....curled it up (as I've heard described) and gave it a fling. Took a couple shots, but got it around the end without bringing it down on my head. Again....gave a gentle tug with the truck....and I have a day's worth of wood on the ground instead of waiting to brain me.

Started in on one of the large pieces of the fallen tree....saw the 'pinch starting' at the end of my cut. Remembered another suggestion here about using a piece of cut wood as a wedge....worked great, got out with out getting stuck for once.

Got home and my brother-in-law drove up as I was unhooking the gate. I've got the dog and a pile of hedge in the truck, he said "it's pretty cold out there" in his tennies and little top coat. Dressed in winter coveralls, a Carhart jacket, my worn in leather gloves....I just looked at him, grinned....and said "nahhhhhhhh....feels GREAT!!!" :D

I still have the problem of getting some of the wood home (this stuff is HEAVY) I can't lift it (need to put the bucket back on the tractor.) BUT....it's white outside (can't tell if its frost or snow from here at the computer), the thermometer said 15 degrees when I checked this morning.....the house is toasty warm....and I get to go do it AGAIN!!

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving! I feel I have lots to be thankful for.

Che

PS The Shindaiwa ran GREAT!

Greetings Che,

Enjoyed so much reading your post.Chopping wood IS really a task to be enjoyed,and I can tell you're having a great time!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,
Rick

I know that guy, it's me

Man, you remind me of Me. The dogs and I went out this weekend, picked out a nice alder, fell it, bucked it and milled it. About the time I had it on the ground, a light snow started. To bad it didn’t last long though. Doesn’t happen much around here, not more than a few times a year.
I got a couple of logs milled up in fairly short order and was on my way.
Same as you, ran into a neighbor and he says, sure is cold today. I didn’t think so, I was warm as toast.
Here is a shot of my previous milling exploits. I traded a windfall cedar for half a PU load of fire wood.

Oh yeah, happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good nap!

Hi Che, sorry that I haven't helped you as of late with regards to you're latest challenge in the wood fibre dept.
It's just that I have been busy with "Chainsaw Nerds", they aren't the brightest bulb on the tree.
Anyway, I can see what you described so well. Look at it as a jigsaw puzzle and ask yourself, " would I pitch my tent under this Jackpot?" Should the answer be yes, create an escape route, first law. A few wedges driven will gaurantee against pinching.
Hope this helps Che,
Love,
John

You ever find a band waggon and just ride it to see how much grief you can cause...... Fish? Their is a old putz in town and I'm here to persuade!

Mr. done, proved it, and dreamed it all....

Spent yesterday in that same corner. The whole top of the tree was 'suspended' on its top branches with it's butt end wedged into a strange looked hackberry (it had grown around this mess.) I could climb up the trunk about six feet to limb it a bit, but didn't dare do more while it was hung. Took my handy-dandy strap, threw it up around one of the upper branches and used the truck to pivot the whole thing down onto the ground. A few hours later, the truck is full.....I had to leave some of the larger pieces for the next trip, and have another large piece of the trunk (about 20" x 8') that I'll need the 'logjaw' to help me move to cut. Had a nice tailgate lunch watching the dog chase around through the field.

No injuries except a nice gash on my back from a thorn where I stood up too quickly. %*&$# hedge.

I came home expecting my job to be done....I enjoy cutting it, but really think I should have a bit of help with unloading. With all their homework and other commitments, I got to unload it, too. Got a bit of help at the very end when my husband got home....he was pretty happy to see all that wood. I figured I worked off all that turkey and pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving. :D

Brought home some beautiful Cedar today.....about 8" of red heartwood....good for more kindling bundles for Christmas presents.

these kids are somethin. always somethin going on,,long as it aint firewood...i guess school is tough enuff,, tho these days. i wouldnt wanta have to do it now a days...well ibetter go ,the 15 yr old daughter will be home in a bit ,with my instructions ,for the day.shes a pistol .
:)

Why should my name appear in this thread?
It started innocuous enough {sp?}.
Che has lived within 30 miles of me for 3-4 years and has never
come to Lawrenceburg to see me, as I am not worthy of touching
her saws. Lambert came to visit me last year, and after 17
beers, I convinced him to go to Danville and seek Elena[che],
he spent a night in jail, but he said it was well worth it, he
would do it in the drop of a hat, whatever that means.
But if a good looking babe comes into my shop , and says she is
from Danville, I will say that I am just a new hire that has no
idea about anything.
I am hurt!

Hi Fish!

Is that an invitation? I'll certainly let you touch my saw...in fact, I'll let you sharpen my chain if you sweet talk me! ;)

I've turned the cattle into a new field....won't have to feed them for a couple weeks, so maybe next week I can take a morning OFF and come visit. I could really use a lesson.....I used a new chain this last time out and the chips were telling me that maybe I need to learn a thing or two in the art of cutter angles.

Tony...it's funny...seems they never have homework unless there's a chore that needs to be done....then, it HAS TO GET DONE RIGHT AWAY! Hmmmmmmpffff! (Personally....I'd much rather unload the wood than try to 'help' them with homework now...now THAT's work!)

OH Fish....if that good looking babe comes in from Danville, be nice to her...she's probably a paying customer. :D I'll be the short bifocaled gray hair woman....lugging in a Shindaiwa, and (if I get my act together) a plate of Greek Christmas cookies.

Back