Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a new cant holder for the races at work, little bit of welding and itll be sweet. Sits lower and cant will sit flat.View attachment 337773

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
I like it. Hope everybody else does. It sits lower so the saw will be able to get ther faster I assume. I'll need all the help I can get to cut a little faster if I mange to make it to another race.

Found a new cant holder for the races at work, little bit of welding and itll be sweet. Sits lower and cant will sit flat.View attachment 337773

It looks heavy duty. You will be able to use a shorter bar with the cants laying flat. Those cants at the last race were big and some racers had to be sure they were cutting all the way across.

That picture is straight from the scrap yard, itll get revised. It is shorter but i think itll be good. Gonna figure a clamping system, in the end itll take round or square. I plan on practicing cold starts and this seemed too perfect.

Starting a cut on the flat of a cant is different than starting on a corner. Guys will just have to tilt their saws.

JMHO

Philbert
I see no issue with starting a flat cut, most actual races the cants are flat. Maybe im missing something.

I see no issue with starting a flat cut, most actual races the cants are flat.

Well, you should practice according to how you will race. I'm thinking that a saw will bite into a corner faster and more likely to skip on a flat - especially in a race. But you can always adjust the angle of the bar.

Philbert

Fatboy wants to get a crew together on Saturday March 15th. Bob @ Complete Auto has a 12 cord load of logs to cut and split. Breakfast at 630AM at Our Place Café in St Croix same as last year.
This will be the morning after ice bowling so it should be VERY interesting!

If the snows still butt deep on a giraffe I'll help out, otherwise I need to get on my own wood cutting.

This winter has me a bit behind.

Well, you should practice according to how you will race. I'm thinking that a saw will bite into a corner faster and more likely to skip on a flat - especially in a race. But you can always adjust the angle of the bar.

Philbert
Easier running on flats..
More consistent load..
Easier to not leave dangling chads too..

Host a GTG?

Philbert

That'd probably be more work than just cutting it myself...

Of course, as I've mentioned before, any time I'm cutting, anyone is welcome to come on out and help. I'll even send em home with a load of whatever I happen to be cutting that day if wanted.

I won't rule out a GTG here someday - but I've got a few projects to take care of first.

Back