Minty Stihl 026 goes to low bidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought I had licked my case of CAD and was through with buying more saws. I was wrong. I saw a CL ad for a used Stihl 026 from the original owner, $130 OBO. So I gotta check that out right? Guy sends me a pic but it's too small to see any detail, but it looks pretty grungy. I phone to tell him I'm coming to see it. He calls me back five minutes later and says he has bad news. He forgot that the last time he used it, his buddy broke the on/off/choke lever. If that's all, that's no big deal, but then I begin to wonder what else might be wrong with it.

So I get to his house and the first thing on the saw that grabs my attention is the nameplate, which is not even scratched!

attachment.php

Under the layers of dried pine sap mixed with sawdust, the plastic looks completely unfaded, so I decide to buy it. The guy asks, "How much you willing to pay?"

I say, "How about $120 because of the broken lever?"

He says, "How about $100 because of the broken lever?" And we both start laughing as I tell him he drives a hard bargain.

I get it home and clean it up, and this is what I find:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then the story gets better...

Very nice! I thought I did good with my $80 026 that needed a bar and chain but that one is much nicer.

is there an AS hit list? if so id venture to say your on it:chainsaw: Im jealous.

More...

Did I mention the guy included a Stihl case, an extra RSC chain, original owner's manual and a scrench? I pull the right side cover to clean and it's beautiful underneath. And the broken lever is all I can find wrong with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I pull the muffler cover and the piston and cylinder look perfect; the factory knurling is still on the piston. The muff cover is the older model with four holes, not the choked-down single hole EPA version. No limiter caps on the adjustment screws. It could use a new air filter, however. Big deal.

And now the end of the story: I have a MS 260 that's like new, so I'm thinking I'll sell this gem of an 026 to someone here on AS and make a modest profit. Then on Saturday, our niece and her husband Nick, who is a contractor, and their baby come for a weekend visit with us. They're a great young couple, just getting started in life. Nick walks into my garage and says, "What's up with all the Stihl chainsaws? That's some quality stuff you have there." I laugh and tell him about my CAD, and how I just picked up this 026 even though I don't even need it. He tells me he's recently upgraded to an Echo 40cc for his business because he sometimes gets yard jobs along with fix-it jobs. So of course, I ask him if he wants this 026 for the $100 I've got into it, and his eyes just light up and he can't thank me fast enough or often enough.

So we enjoy a very happy long weekend just hanging out and being family, eating good food and drinking fine beverages in our 70-degree California sunshine. And Monday night Nick carries home a minty new Stihl 026 that he's bought at low bid. And I'm a happy guy.

Until CAD strikes again, that is!

Olyeller

is there an AS hit list? if so id venture to say your on it:chainsaw: Im jealous.

me too they ain't no way i can find something that cheap around here. because these tennessee'ens are so dang money hungery and you can't get anything that cheap.and if you do get something get something that cheap from someone it's not any good and no one can use it it's so to far gone.and no one can do anything with it . so where's the hit list at i'll be the hit man lmao :laugh:

I might have that broken part, I'll sell it to you for $100.00............:hmm3grin2orange:

j/k....but I think I do have one, if you want it I'll mail it to you for a big ole fat FREE......

but thats a nice saw and congrats on the big score on it rep on it's way

What?

Where's the love, boys? LOL

Like I said, I was gonna bestow this fine piece of machinery on one of my fellow AS members here, but family's gotta come first...

I'll keep hunting for deals and turn the next one over to you vultures! Really! I promise! (Unless it's a 064 or 066!) LOL

Olyeller

Sorry!

do me a favor and run your saws next to each other and tell me which is stronger

I wanted to do just that, but my dealer didn't have the start lever/rod in stock so I could fix it up, so I never even started it up. And now the 026 is in Nick's hands 175 miles south of me... Sorry!

Olyeller

me too they ain't no way i can find something that cheap around here. because these tennessee'ens are so dang money hungery and you can't get anything that cheap.and if you do get something get something that cheap from someone it's not any good and no one can use it it's so to far gone.and no one can do anything with it . so where's the hit list at i'll be the hit man lmao :laugh:

I dunno about that I bought my 2165 in a pawn shop in Knoxville, best 150 dollars I ever spent. All she needed was a couple of bar studs. While he was ringing it up I noticed a 15 amp Milwaukee circular saw for 40 dollars and I took it home to.

Where's the love, boys? LOL

Like I said, I was gonna bestow this fine piece of machinery on one of my fellow AS members here, but family's gotta come first...

I'll keep hunting for deals and turn the next one over to you vultures! Really! I promise! (Unless it's a 064 or 066!) LOL

Olyeller

ok we will be waiting i just need one that isn't to big like a 038 or something like that but that is a nice saw by the way

I dunno about that I bought my 2165 in a pawn shop in Knoxville, best 150 dollars I ever spent. All she needed was a couple of bar studs. While he was ringing it up I noticed a 15 amp Milwaukee circular saw for 40 dollars and I took it home to.

i heard that but what i mean you want find anything from face to face anymore that is cheap you try to talk them down and they act like you are trying to cut their throat or something around here. but the best thing i ever found ion the pawn shop was a poulan 295 super clean for 90 bucks and the first time it had gas and oil put in it.but when i got it i took and broke it in and then i let my buddy use it and he stright gased it and blowed her up .and it didn't have 3 tanks of gas threw it yet.

Last edited:
Back