Missing some PNW people this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The power tried to go off enough times that taking a shower was risky. As far as flooding, I'm on top of a rocky knob so the only problem is if the roads to here flood. That hasn't happened. We didn't get as much rain as the coast and Puget Sound areas, or as much wind. The river named after a saw shop looks like it has crested at 6 feet below flood stage. We're good.

All's well, only lost power long enough to annoy the clock on the stove a couple of times. Pretty surprising, really, since I am always the first to lose power and the last to get it back, since I'm the only person on my transformer, past the end of a dead-end road. At least I cleaned out the woodstove already.

Madhatte, is the last part in the flood plain? I suspect it is. Ironic, an article about flooding and then about a new development in the flood area.

Rivers update! CLICK HERE FOR REGULAR RIVER AND ROAD UPDATES!

Flood warnings continue for Lewis County for the Chehalis at Centralia, Chehalis at Grand Mound and the Newaukum Rivers. The Chehalis at Centralia is forecast to crest at 6pm Tuesday evening at 69.15. One foot above moderate flood stage. The Chehalis at Grand Mound is forecast to crest at 16.18. Almost a foot above moderate flood stage and the Newalkum River is forecast to crest Tuesday morning at 11.63 with flood stage at 10.5 ft

With several rivers on the rise in Lewis County, the City of Centralia and Lewis County Emergency Operations Centers are open and operating. Centralia has two sandbag stations for city residents one at 1227 Harrison Ave the Presbyterian church and 100 block of Center St next to the fire station. Both will be monitored and the emergency shelter at 416 N Tower is open. Lewis County EOC is operating at level 2 in preparation for flooding in the county with the SWIFT Water Rescue team on standby. Sandbags are available for purchase at Cal-Portland/Glacier, Sunbirds, Palmer Lumber, Market Street Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Winlock True Value.

Rain...Wind

There have been high winds and copious amounts of rain in the last 24 hours from a large weather front. A high gust of 114 MPH was recorded in Naselle. The highest wind gust for the twin cities was 46 MPH.
Rain amounts in the last 24 hours in some areas came close to 5 inches or more. In the Olympic Mountains, the Elden station recorded 8.43. Riverside Fire Station number 8 recorded 4.52 inches. The Doty station had 3.87 inches and in Centralia 2.35 inches of rain for the last 24 hours.

Centralia Port Proposes New Development
The Port of Centralia is proposing a major new commercial development to be located just south of the Mellen Street freeway interchange. The vision for Centralia Station is a multi-use development to combine retail space, community college facilities in partnership with Centralia College, restaurants, office and medical space and adjoining sports fields. Port Director Kyle Heaton says when it’s fully built out, the development will create hundreds of much-needed local jobs.

just south of the Mellen Street freeway interchange

Yeah, that's right where the freeway always floods over, and where that dude died in the '96 flood because he drove right into the water heedless of warnings. Port Of Centralia usually builds north a bit by Galvin Road on slightly higher ground. My guess is that they couldn't strong-arm somebody into selling their land. There's still some pasturage out there, or was, last time I looked.

Madhatte, is the last part in the flood plain? I suspect it is. Ironic, an article about flooding and then about a new development in the flood area.

Rivers update! CLICK HERE FOR REGULAR RIVER AND ROAD UPDATES!

Flood warnings continue for Lewis County for the Chehalis at Centralia, Chehalis at Grand Mound and the Newaukum Rivers. The Chehalis at Centralia is forecast to crest at 6pm Tuesday evening at 69.15. One foot above moderate flood stage. The Chehalis at Grand Mound is forecast to crest at 16.18. Almost a foot above moderate flood stage and the Newalkum River is forecast to crest Tuesday morning at 11.63 with flood stage at 10.5 ft

Centralia Port Proposes New Development
The Port of Centralia is proposing a major new commercial development to be located just south of the Mellen Street freeway interchange. The vision for Centralia Station is a multi-use development to combine retail space, community college facilities in partnership with Centralia College, restaurants, office and medical space and adjoining sports fields. Port Director Kyle Heaton says when it’s fully built out, the development will create hundreds of much-needed local jobs.

Maybe they'll include a boat rental place in their plans.

We lost and regained power several times, the 'net died early, just now got it back.
It was noisy here starting around 3pm, it eased up around 10, then went back to howling at 0200, moderately noisy now.
The more reliable, but unofficial weather station has peak sustained winds at 48mph, with gusts to 61. 3.8" of rain.
I have some minor fence repairs to do, all else is fine.

The noisy part has moved on for the most part, it is Humboldt and Mendo's problem now.
112012.gif

No wonder i had a job cancel. I am visiting family on the east coast, and my crew was to prune a large fir today. The tree owner was going to clean up with a back hoe, but was afraid he would get stuck in the mud?!

Just under 3" of rain in the rain gauge this morning here in Stanwood

Back yard was a lake water was just about in the barn I moved everything up in the barn (off the ground) so nothing would get wet; that was the highest I've seen it here at my place and this house has been in the family for 23 years since it was built

The town of Stanwood had some flooding (like water in stores) The Stillaguamish River is pretty high but not over it's banks just lucky it wasn't high tide

071.jpg

I took a little bike ride down to the river named after the saw shop. It was high, but not up all the way and there were only limbs and small stuff going by, no trees or houses.

That guy who drove through the barriers in 96 must have been related to the guy who did the same here in 2006. His body washed up against the grocery store, and since the roads were out of commission, he had to be stored in a weigh scale house for a while. Icky story, that.

Latest posts

Back