Missing some PNW people tonight.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Previous Rainfall Of 2-10 Inches Or More Over The Past 24 Hours Has
Resulted In High Levels Of Soil Moisture Around Western
Washington. Heavy Rainfall Of 2-5 Inches More In 24 Hours Is
Expected. This Amount Of Rain Will Put Extra Pressure On Soil
Instability Leading To An Increased Risk Of Landslides.

The Usgs Rainfall Index...rainfall Threshold...and Rainfall
Intensity Threshold Are All Currently Exceeded And Will Be For The
Duration Of The Heavy Rain. All Of These Together Have Elevated
The Landslide Risk To High Risk

Landslides Have Been Occurring In A Number Of Locations In
Many Counties Throughout Western Washington.

Cumulative Rainfall Over The Last Three Weeks Have Wetted Soils
To The Point Where They Are Above The Usgs Landslide Index. When
Cumulative Rainfall Over The Previous Three Days And Previous
Eighteen Days Combine To Exceed The Usgs Landslide Cumulative
Threshold Index...rainfall Induced Landslides Are Possible During
Intense Rainfall Or When Rainfall Amounts Exceed Two Inches In 24
Hours. A Diminishing Risk Of Landslides Will Continue For Several
Days After The Rain Ends.

While The Usgs Rainfall Thresholds Were Designed For The Seattle
Area Of The Puget Sound...most Of The Lowlands Of Western
Washington Are Similarly Susceptible To Landslides Caused By Wet
Soils. Areas Most Susceptible To Landslides Under These Conditions
Are Steep Coastal Bluffs And Other Steep Hillsides

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stevens Pass has recorded over 11 inches of rain in the last 40 hours....

Excelsior Mt slide path on the Mt Baker Hwy, ran at least 3500 vertical feet, a 100 year slide path. The mt is not that close to the hwy

attachment.php

here's what the guy who shot the above photo says:
Here is a pic of the 542 slide.

I did not want to get any closer as due to the amount of water coming out of the hill side I feared the chance of either another slide or a mud slide.

This thing is big. probably at least 30 feet deep on the HWY.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
We were in the rain shadow last night, but not now.. It's really coming down. The lake has risen 4 inches in the past hour... 12 more to my basment, but.. if the construction I finished this fall works it "should" divert... that is.. if the foot of ice in the drainage melts first.

My dock is underwater, and in about 4 more inches the floating section will try to bust off its mounts. We'll see... It's not done that since I've been here - 19 years.

Hang on... it will end here by mid-day Thursday, and move south to Oregon.

Last edited:
ondarvr

ondarvr

ArboristSite Member
I just drove back from Kelowna BC, heavy snow, slush, hard rain, mud slides, avalanches, zero visibility, wind and closed roads with long detours, turned a 5 or 6 hour drive into a 27 our drive.

I also live on the Skykomish river, so I was in a hurry to get home as my wife was stressed about flooding (again). The river is supposed to crest this evening at a level that won't reach the house, but with all the recent "100 year floods" the flow has changed so that the main flow may run through the middle of my yard now. The neighbors pasture had been stable for many decades, but in the last couple of years he's lost about an acre of land and now the main flow is directed right at the middle of my yard and may cut off about 200 feet of land.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
For the past three weeks, we've been frozen solid. Yesterday I had heck of a time getting the truck DOWN my driveway. This morning - 90% of the snow has gone...

Last edited:
windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Big signs down here on I-5 in north California say that I-5 is closed in Washington. :cry:

Man, enough of this flooding stuff already! Its 1996 all over again. And the weather man said that it would not do this? I am suing PDX Channel 2 news!

Raining on Mt Hood up to 6000 feet. Slopes on the whole mountain are closed. :cry:

Sux sux sux... Clackamas County is a mess in Orygun.

wilbilt

wilbilt

ArboristSite Member
All be careful up there. That is some extreme wet going on.

It reminds me of the situation here back in 1997. All of the roads under water, and talk of the dam overtopping due to the inflow. We could not have gotten out if we needed to. Pretty terrifying.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Looks like I dodged a bullet up here. Yes, flooding everywhere, the lake is really high (6 inches from my basement floor), but look like it's leveling out and the sky is getting lighter:cheers:

Now I just have to watch that the ice doesn't block the outlet the lake still has 3-4 inches of ice that hasn't broken up yet.

Not so pretty 2 miles away though... the Snoqualmie won't crest at Duvall until this evening.

Last edited:
Burvol

Burvol

Bullbuck
Last week we had almost three feet of snow where I got shut down two weeks ago. Now there is maybe six inches and I'm looking to go back Monday or Tuesday if we get some cold nights...Woohoo! :cheers:

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member

Thanks for the link Andy!

My 5 Year old niece is in the hospital in intensive care in Tacoma...

Praying for her recovery and safety.

I wonder how the correctional system is faring with all the roads blocked. Some employees have likely been on duty for days, and if they have small children in day care while they're at work...... this be some tough stuff.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Praying for her recovery and safety.

I wonder how the correctional system is faring with all the roads blocked. Some employees have likely been on duty for days, and if they have small children in day care while they're at work...... this be some tough stuff.

Thanks for your prayers T-man!!

ondarvr

ondarvr

ArboristSite Member
Getting up in the morning and checking just what happened over night is always interesting. This morning I was looking at the trees left in the yard by the high water, I normally get some fir, maple and alder, all stripped of limbs and bark that are ready to cut. The water hasn't gone done from it's high much yet, just a few inches and there were some nice logs that were stuck out there but still in the current. As I'm watching a ratty old burned out stump comes floating down and collides with the good logs, the stump gets stuck and the logs float away. Not sure if any more will float down and get stuck now that it’s dropping, so this time it looks like all I get a mess and no fire wood.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Getting up in the morning and checking just what happened over night is always interesting. This morning I was looking at the trees left in the yard by the high water, I normally get some fir, maple and alder, all stripped of limbs and bark that are ready to cut. The water hasn't gone done from it's high much yet, just a few inches and there were some nice logs that were stuck out there but still in the current. As I'm watching a ratty old burned out stump comes floating down and collides with the good logs, the stump gets stuck and the logs float away. Not sure if any more will float down and get stuck now that it’s dropping, so this time it looks like all I get a mess and no fire wood.

I like the way you think! Flooding, in the least, brings free firewood.

That's a very positive attitude. :cheers:

Burvol

Burvol

Bullbuck
It also means that the salmon fishing on certain rivers will be awesome in 2-5 years, as the high water produces a fast escapment to the ocean for the little guys that hatched two months ago.