Mobil 1 Racing 2T NO MORE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She told me it would come off my next purchase when they scan the card..I forgot about that damn card till you mentioned it..;) ;) I dont shop there often..........

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of my autzone's either. It may be due to the incompetent employees they have at the autzones local to me.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of my autzone's either. It may be due to the incompetent employees they have at the autzones local to me.

Originality from the Crow River Valley, Watertown / Delano area, not sure were Lake Park is?

Mentioning that 2T will no longer be made, to a friend/Autozone Mrg in Fort Collins CO. he put it on his list to order 2 cases and had offered all I would like to buy at $7.50 a QT. He had also mentioned that he dose not believe that there is a shelf life on 2T and one could be safe rat-holing a quantity.

Originality from the Crow River Valley, Watertown / Delano area, not sure were Lake Park is?

Mentioning that 2T will no longer be made, to a friend/Autozone Mrg in Fort Collins CO. he put it on his list to order 2 cases and had offered all I would like to buy at $7.50 a QT. He had also mentioned that he dose not believe that there is a shelf life on 2T and one could be safe rat-holing a quantity.

Ok I didn't know where Delano/Watertown is till I looked at a map. I see it is just west of the cities. Lake Park is about 35 miles east of Fargo, ND and about 15 miles west of Detroit Lakes, MN if your familiar with the location of those towns.

I sent the following futile attempt.....but I needed to "express" my concerns.

"I am a long time user of Mobil One products in my cars..and discovered the best kept secret in the MOTORSPORTS world was MX-2T! After many years of running BelRay H1R and other industry specific brands...I switched to MX-2T when I discovered it was available locally at AutoZone two years ago. And its wonderful. I can run the same mix with my kids HareScramble race bikes (Honda CR125's), My aircooled vintage race bikes (KTM420's), And most importantly my chain saws. AND after a little time I discovered..they ALL benifit from your product to the point where I have made the total conversion..only to find out you are stopping production!

I guess three things come to mind:
1) MX-2T seems to have been around for a while...WHY did it take until two years ago for me to find ANYTHING about your product? (Best kept secret!) I found out from a Chainsaw website www.arboristSite.com!
2) With the change in AMA rules this year, Two Strokes are back to stay for a while! (They dropped the 125 2-t/250 4-t class mix and just went to a straight 250 and open format...mixing 2 and 4 strokes with the same displacement again)...Bet that makes 2-Stroke sales take right off!
3) With the cleaner burning characteristics of your (ex) product, you could have enabled those two strokes to stay even longer with tightening epa standards. Especially with chain saws and outboards.

Please reconsider your MX-2T descision and give your marketing folks a kick where it counts for letting a significant market discover you had great products....sometimes YEARS after they hit the market!!"

Maybe the other major oil companies like Ashland Corp will pick up on this and develop a similar synthetic product to fill this void.
QUOTE]

Asland Oil is no longer a big player in the major oil game. Ashland Oil was bought out 100% by Marathon Oil Sept of last year. Asland still make's Vavoline and other chemicals but thats it.
...Bob

That explains all the Marathon stations that have been springing up around here lately.

Ian

I am not sure about Kentucky but Citgo pulled out of NE Ohio and all of those stations became Marathons. Some places had Marathons right next to the new Marathons. Speedway, Super America and Pilot are also under the Marathon umbrella. Most of the old Ashland stations around here just became mom and pop stores. A few of them are Marathons...Bob

River, I would bet your o66 that you posted a picture of is runnign on the rich side. The piston looks to be well washed by the transfers, which indicates low piston temps/rich carb tuning.

MX2T/2R piston after being run at 32:1 for a extended period.
attachment.php

Hi Bwalker
Sounds like I can safely run my Shindaiwa C4 blower with Mobil 2T at 32:1 without worry about build up?
THanks

So far you posted most of your 40 posts on this topic, multiple threads....

You're talking apples and oranges.

Ben's pics are from a two stoke snow mobile. If you run your 4-mix 4 stroke (sorry "C4") at 32:1 you will have problems. Just follow your manf recommendations. I'm not sure why you are beating this dead horse.. is it really that complicated? heck, you can probably run the C4 at 80:1 and not worry about it. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

BTW, if you came back to me with a Stihl 4-mix run at 32:1 and it was all clogged up (it will be), I will bill you and you won't get warranty. I can't imagine shindawa will treat you any different.

Last edited:
It's a 4-stroke.... you want to put carbon on the valve seats of 4-mix, go ahead. Stihl would say to run their 4-mix on 80:1 ultra if they could be sure landscapers guys wouldn't end up putting that mix their 2 strokes, so they don't (publicly).

Last edited:
Lake, Stihl had problems with their blowers because Stihl's oil quality was very low, hence the move to ULtra, which seems to be a step in the right direction.
I would bet a few dollars that a quality oil like 2R would have no problem burning clean at 32:1 in a blower. However I wouldnt do this with Stihl orange bottle.
I run my saws for the most part at 32:1 and I havent had any carbon, wear or plug fouling issues. I have been doing this for years.
The way a saw and a snowmobile are operated are very similar BTW.

Last edited:
Actually, they do have issue with low ratio mixes. And your blowers are 2 stroke.

It had nothing to do with "Low Quality" orange oil. Yes, it wasn't the right choice for the 4-mix, but neither was any other dino. I know guys that have run that orange oil forever at 50:1 in 2-strokes with no issues, and still do. They did have a problem with the old "Low Smoke" (no longer available"). Anti-scuffing compounds were removed to meet a Jasco "smoke" spec, and that ended up being a bad move. And we've covered this all before in other threads.

Are you advising that a C4 should be run at 32:1?

I'll advise that a Stihl 4-mix should not.

Last edited:
Hi Lakeside53
Do you mean C4 or 4 Mix is more subseptable to problem of buildup because it has valves? I read about Stihl 4 Mix need to be decarbonize using their solution. This is at least a logical answer I get after all the criticism I recieved.

Is full synthetic like Stihl Ultra and Mobil Racing 2T produce less deposit?

Thanks

Hi Lakeside53
Do you mean C4 or 4 Mix is more subseptable to problem of buildup because it has valves? I read about Stihl 4 Mix need to be decarbonize using their solution. This is at least a logical answer I get after all the criticism I recieved.

Is full synthetic like Stihl Ultra and Mobil Racing 2T produce less deposit?

Thanks

Yes, and yes, and... they don't need mix oil like a 2 stroke. I've seen more than one Stihl 4-mix blower that has had a tank of straight gas, and they survived with little damage (don't try a second tank though...). Oil accumulates in the crankcase. If you use an excessively rich synthetic mix you end up with a sticky mess running from your muffler, excessive oily junk in the crankcase pan, and "odd-ball problems". I can't talk from experience with C4- you need to seek assistance from Shindawa - call them.

In your 4-mix engine, run 50:1 synthetic unless your manf. tells you you can run less oil. Stihl allows us to tell 4-mix blower users they can run 80:1 on Ultra, but we don't bother as it's too confusing to have 2 ratios of gas and we doen't see any problems with 50:1 Ultra.

Even Ultra at 50:1 will leave a sooty residue in the exhaust , but it does not seem to affect the valves.

Last edited:
Yes, and yes, and... they don't need mix oil like a 2 stroke. I've seen more han one Stihl 4-mix blower that has had a tank of straight gas, and they survived with little damage (don't try a second tank though...). Oil accumulates in the crankcase. If you use an excessively rich synthetic mix you end up with a sticky mess running from your muffler, excessive oily junk in the crankcase pan, and "odd-ball problems". I can't talk from experience with C4- you need to seek assistance from Shindawa - call them.

In your 4-mix engine, run 50:1 synthetic unless your manf. tells you you can run less oil. Stihl allows us to tell 4-mix blower users they can run 80:1 on Ultra, but we don't bother as its too confusing to have 2 ratios of gas and we doen't see any problems with 50:1 Ultra.

Even Ultra at 50:1 will leave a sooty residue in the exhaust , but it does not seem to affect the valves.

Lake, dose the 80:1 also go for all 4mix engines? (Trimmers and Pole saws)

Lake, dose the 80:1 also go for all 4mix engines? (Trimmers and Pole saws)

Not sure.. the discussion was about blowers. I have friend that swears by Opti at 80:1 for his KM110, but.. I use 50:1 in my KM130. We've not seen any problems with the FS or KM 4-mix, even when run on dino. Lot's of thermal cycling helps.

Back