Mobil 1 Racing 2T NO MORE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe you should buy your saws with the gas and oil pre-installed? Take them back to your dealer when they need more. Messy?? I bet you don't change your own oil in the car... how about self-changing baby diapers:laugh: :laugh:

I buy my Alky gas in 20 liter cans (orange ones for two-stroke, blue ones for 4-stroke). I have 2 or 3 of them in circulation. No messing with oil. It’s more expensive yes but I can assure you there is NO pro-logger here who mixes his own gas. The benefits you get are:

- You know that your saw always runs at correct mixture. How do you do when you mix yourself? You don’t put a bit extra in, just to be sure ?

- The alky gas can be stored for ten years, you pull the starter rope and it will fire right up. (I use alky 4 –stroke for the snow blower which stands still 10 months a year)

- I’ve been using normal gas + oil for many years before switching to alky and I can tell you there is a big difference in smoke. I never have headaches anymore when brushcutting for 8 hours, before that was standard procedure.

- Carb doesn’t have to be retuned because you always have exactly the same quality and type of gas in the saw.

- No extra cans or bottles to get rid of, al you need is your 20 liter cans. Pipes and accessories fits perfectly to my Husky combined oil/gas cans.

I will remind you of this thread in 5 years when you also will be running alky.
All changes just takes a bit longer in the states ;) And Lake, I do change oil in my car.

Well, if one does read around a bit at this site one will soon see that a lot of the posts regards where the fuel is bought, what quality you got, how you stored it where you stored it, and do not mix to much at a time cause you can't store it, and don't mix to small batches or you'll be more likely to do mistakes with proportions, and so on - forever.

If mixing and storing is not a problem, it sure as h311 seems to create a lot of fuzz and discussion on that non-existing problem anyway.

Now, I know were to buy.
I know how to mix.
I know how to store.
And I know you do too.

But everybody else then? Apparently it's problem big enough to be discussed, page up and page down, and, hey, Aspen actually helps cut down on that! If only we could get it through this discussion...

Last edited:
I don't see the point either... and if you need to store gas for years there is a problem - you aren't using the equipment enough! AS for all the "discussion..." it's mostly about ratios and oils... you don't even get a choice with aspen. As for "quality varies" - sure, but we have a choice so I just buy the "good" stuff. My gas is always the same "quality" and never need to adjust my carb unless it's because of another reason. Maybe it's a good idea for occassional use homeowners, but I see no advantages for pros.

Also... even the Aspen website says life of the product depends on HOW you store it... I doubt here is any difference between the storage life of our AV gas and your Aspen, but as it's for aeroplanes.. they aren't going to say "5 years".

Last edited:
Ben is correct on the 93. The only way I know for 93 to "appear" to burn cooler is if it has a lower alcohol (or none) content than the regular gas being used for comparision, AND, the carb wasn't readjusted when moving to the non-alcohol gas. Out here we can still get premium gas without alcohol, but see more and more "white" mufflers from guys continuing to use regular in their older saws. In this case, they were adjusted for the old non-alcohol gas and just never retuned when the gas changed a few years ago. Simple tweak of the carb solves this problem.

i completely agree on the btu statement also.
shell fuel claims no alcolol here.
perhaps its only the muffler that is cooler, and not the chamber, but the inside of the muff wil be slightly dark red w/ 93 and wil b glowing orange/red w/ 89. but if the exhaust temps are cooler i would expect the internal temps to be cooler also. only a guess as to how much cooler but maybe 100 or so degrees. perhaps less power as more heat=more expansion=more power
maybe it has to do w/ the flash point and timing matching up better. who knows? i sure dont
i have only observed this on the 066 milling at night. maybe felling and bucking dont run the engine at wot long enough to make a difference either way.
anyhoot, the 20 cents/gal buys me peace of mind and cooler temps and hopefully longer engine life.
just seeking any advantage

I don't see the point either... and if you need to store gas for years there is a problem - you aren't using the equipment enough! AS for all the "discussion..." it's mostly about ratios and oils... you don't even get a choice with aspen. As for "quality varies" - sure, but we have a choice so I just buy the "good" stuff. My gas is always the same "quality" and never need to adjust my carb unless it's because of another reason. Maybe it's a good idea for occassional use homeowners, but I see no advantages for pros.

Also... even the Aspen website says life of the product depends on HOW you store it... I doubt here is any difference between the storage life of our AV gas and your Aspen, but as it's for aeroplanes.. they aren't going to say "5 years".

Forgot to mention:

- More power and cleaner engine.
- No risk of forgetting oil (can happen to anybody).

If I were you I would be negative too since it would reduce the work at your workshop. No more cleaning carbs or repairing scored pistons and cylinders.
The pros have the best reason of all to use aspen since they will breath the exhaust gases day in and day out. Benzene, sulphur and other cool stuff you don't want in your lungs are not in aspen fuel.

Have you tried it Lake? You won't go back to normal gas once you have.

Is this Aspen stuff even available in the states? I've never seen it anywhere. If not, then it's not even worth discussing.

Ian

Forgot to mention:

- More power and cleaner engine.
- No risk of forgetting oil (can happen to anybody).

If I were you I would be negative too since it would reduce the work at your workshop. No more cleaning carbs or repairing scored pistons and cylinders.
The pros have the best reason of all to use aspen since they will breath the exhaust gases day in and day out. Benzene, sulphur and other cool stuff you don't want in your lungs are not in aspen fuel.

Have you tried it Lake? You won't go back to normal gas once you have.

More power?? from what?

Cleaner engine? HUH? from what? mine's spotless inside.....

You might have dirty "old world" pump gas, but we don't... you seem to forget that a considerable percentage of what you pump through those 2 smokers goes into to the air unburnt... so you like breathing naptha rather than gasoline? :buttkick: :buttkick:

Last edited:
Are pump goes doesnt have this stuff in it...for the tenth time.

From Wikipedia:
"Many of the non-aliphatic hydrocarbons naturally present in gasoline (especially aromatic ones like benzene), as well as many anti-knocking additives, are carcinogenic.."

"Through misuse as an inhalant, gasoline also contributes to damage to health. Petrol sniffing is a common way of obtaining a high for many people and has become epidemic in many poorer communities (and chainsaw users?)..."

Lake is correct that much of the gas that goes in a two stroker gets out unburnt which is a very good reason not to use normal gas in a chainsaw where you practically are bent over the exhaust pipe. In any other industry people would refuse to work during such conditions.

:laugh:

attachment.php

I've run Amsoil for years (Semi-synthetic) in my snowmobiles. They've lasted for thousands of miles, and since I can't see buying special oil for the saws anymore, they will run the same oil I buy in the gallon jugs for my sleds. A guy on the fire department I'm on is a rep, so he can bring me more when I need it, and friend pricing.

you seem to forget that a considerable percentage of what you pump through those 2 smokers goes into to the air unburnt...

Yeah, like 35% or something, right?

Doesn't make much sense to worry about what's in, or not in, the fuel when you're effectively dumping one-third of it on the ground! :dizzy:

Many of the non-aliphatic hydrocarbons naturally present in gasoline (especially aromatic ones like benzene), as well as many anti-knocking additives, are carcinogenic.."
Once Again the EPA has very strict limits on the use of aromatics like benzene.
Why dont you huff a little Aspen and get back with us as to its effect.......:chainsawguy:

Mobil will pass your comments on for review and consideration.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob

Back