Mod 350/buy 346xp/or wait for 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Long story short, I came by a brand new 350 this fall for free. It is the later model, 45 written under the cover. I love the feel of this saw and use it alot, saving the 361 for the big felling and bucking.
Would a woods port make this saw really rip? Is a 346xp worth the additional money? I'm thinking 200-250 for a woods port or $500 for a stock 346xp. Then there is the 550xp.
Thoughts?

Edit: ms 261 really has my attention as well. It just "feels" a bit bulkier(then the huskies) in the shop.

Also- I cut 15 or so cord a year on my property for my OWB. I avoid really big stuff that I can't move the rounds by myself. Mostly hardwood 12-18" but some 24" fun. :)

Last edited:
Long story short, I came by a brand new 350 this fall for free. It is the later model, 45 written under the cover. I love the feel of this saw and use it alot, saving the 361 for the big felling and bucking.
Would a woods port make this saw really rip? Is a 346xp worth the additional money? I'm thinking 200-250 for a woods port or $500 for a stock 346xp. Then there is the 550xp.
Thoughts?

Edit: ms 261 really has my attention as well. It just "feels" a bit bulkier(then the huskies) in the shop.
Save your money for the 555 or the 562!!! Click around and do the port work yourself! The good people here will walk you thru!

I think you have a few logical steps here

If you are truly wed to the handling, weight and shape of the 350, it makes sense to either port it, put a 346 xp NE P&C on it, or upgrade to a 346 XP NE.

It is possible to put a 346 top end on the 350 and make minor modifications for clearances and have it all work out.

You could probably sell the 350, if it is mint, for $200 to $250 dollars.

Personally I'd rather have a new 346 in original state than a woods ported 350.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the 550XP to be better than the 346. I think the 346 is very close to perfect for what it is, and what it is supposed to do. Regardless of what the paper says, until it's here (no telling when that will actually be -- look at the 560), there's no telling on what the saw actually is, is like, and whether or not it is better than the 346.

I have a neighbor with a 350 and I really like the shape and feel of that saw too. Most of these characteristics are preserved in the 346. Though I cant say it's exactly the same, obviously the case material is different.

This may also be a time to think about your saw lineup entirely.

If you have a 361, then buying a 555 or a 562 doesn't really make sense, unless you're looking for 2 60cc saws.

I also think it is somewhat silly to look at saws in the sub 50cc category so long as the 346 is in the picture. It's plenty light and plenty nimble.

If I were you, and money were not all that relevant, I'd sell the 350, get a 346, and then look for a good opportunity to roll the 361 and get a 70cc sized saw.

Well, first off...what I wouldn't do...put more $$ into the 350...

And I wouldn't buy a Husky 562XP as you already have the Stihl 361

Now down to the Husky 550 or Stihl 261...(I've handled a 261..not..a 550)

I'd want to "experience" each one (if I were you) with a demo saw...then buy what you like..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Something else that I will warn you about--

As you either increase the power of the 350 or get a 346 (or 261 or in theory, a 550), the gap between the 50cc saw and the 361 will become smaller, and my suggestions to consider a 70cc saw will make more sense.

This could be a classic case of, "so why'd I spend all that money?"

I really wouldn't recommend spending a couple hundred $ on porting the 350. It will gain some power, but at least half of the improvement will be due to the muffler being modded which you can do yourself for zero $. I'd say give that a try first and then decide if you want to go further.

Ah crap. I see I'm on a slippery slope here.
Consensus is that a ported 350 is still not a stock 346?

Very correct.

While it is still a good saw, it's still not a 346. I've seen many a 350 have the absolute crap beat out of them, they are a good saw, but they aren't a 346.

346xp

I'll never be without one, or two.

The 350 is a good saw, but it ain't no 346xp. Ported it'd be close...

I'm gonna make you eat them words some day. If I can keep a 350 long enough.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ah crap. I see I'm on a slippery slope here.
Consensus is that a ported 350 is still not a stock 346?

That just Depends:msp_thumbup:

I'm gonna make you eat them words some day. If I can keep a 350 long enough.:hmm3grin2orange:

That just Depends:msp_thumbup:

Cool. I guess my thoughts are that since I have nothing in the 350, why not get it ported for half the price of another new saw.
Buuuuut I'd hate to throw out that cash if the 346 is really the cat's PJs stock.

Cool. I guess my thoughts are that since I have nothing in the 350, why not get it ported for half the price of another new saw.
Buuuuut I'd hate to throw out that cash if the 346 is really the cat's PJs stock.

The 346 is an allaround better saw, but the 350 has a lot of potential. No it'll never be a mag case pro design but if it's what you got. On the other hand if you had the cash to throw at a porting the 350 then you'd be half way to a new 346. Either way, you'll still end up with a sweet rig.

I keep changing my mind on that saw! Last week I loved it, this week it doesn't seem worth it to me right now

It's probably worth more than it sells for ;) A ported 350 ain't no 346, and a 346 ain't no 555. Considering a 555 outcuts a 357xp while using less fuel than a 346xp - you may want to reconsider :hmm3grin2orange:

A ported 350 will hand it to a stock 346.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DeHTLjRkfE0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QEuvGO_7tK8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iky0-t4D7Dw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's my 346 with a good chain on it.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/presprLbfpU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here it is in an Oak cant with a standard chisel chain.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bqF0u_ux0JM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, you could put the 346 P&C on the 350 for the same money it'd cost you to port it. Mod the muffler and you've arrived at the promised land.

Allthough it would noticably close the gap with your 361, I don't think it creates a problem at all. You're satisfied with the 361 handling your larger wood, you just want some more power from the lighter and better handling 350 chassis when doing smaller stuff.

I'm sure no one here would ever think of suggesting that someone needs more saws, bigger saws, or anything like that would we? LOL

Latest posts

Back