Modifying a 338xpt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSwede

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I just divided my 338xpt into pieces, not by accident!, and thought it would be great to do "something" with it- but what?! I´m a real beginner in the modifyingbusiness so real detailed instructions would be apppreciated.

When I look into the muffler I think it looks like it has very little resistance, which I guess is good? I don´t know about the opening in the muffler- do you change the tube to a wider one? Is it a good idea to make the holes in the muffler and cylinder wider?
If you have to rejet the carburator, where do buy those and are they easy to change?

As you understand I have never tried to mod. a saw in real life, only read a few posts here.

Thanks
Johan

i would really suggest if you want to modify your own saw start on a low cost verticle cyl saw, something that will give you a bit more space to see things and not too much loss if something goes wrong. find a beat to heck 044 or something popular in your area that some logger wants to ditch cheap. thats how i got my practice. she wont look very pretty but its perfect practice material! there are a ton of ways you can do mufflers. with my special on mods you could just send that husky my way :)

Hej Johan :p

Were in Sweden do you hang out ???
Roligt med fler svenskar här på forumet :)
Kul att det är fler än jag som vill få ut mer ur sågen !!

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, some more would be appreciated though....
If someone has modified their own 338xpt it would be great if they told me what they did to it and what the gains(?) were.

Hi Kipp, I live in Uppsala and try to make myself a living on this business- not that easy this year! I´ve been working as a lumberjack for about ten years and decided to try this fo a while. I got certified to work in trees with a chainsaw in 2001 and quit working as an employee January last year, which, "thanks" to Gudrun was a much better year than this one.
And how about you, do you work with this or is it a hobby?

Johan

Latest posts

Back