More wood ID's - this is a strange one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll stick with
Honey locust 100%
ash 100 %
linden 75%
silver maple 100%
Siberian elm 95%
sycamore or London plane 100%

Here are a few pictures comparing cherry and honey locust. Which one looks like sample "A"?

I would say in order locust is best then ash, sycamore, silver maple, Siberian elm, linden in that order. Siberian elm is mid range wood and I would take it. I smells so even better that you have an owb. I would bother with the linden though very soft wood. Sought by wood carvers for the clear white wood and softness.

I would put Siberian elm in front of Sycamore for burning quality, both have to be seasoned well before burning is good.

My experience with Sycamore is once it seasons it burns really fast and does not put out a lot of heat. I almost always pass on Sycamore.

Show me a picture of juvenile honeylocust bark that has the horizontal marks like the ones pictured....(like on cherry or birch)

I've seen radical differences on a Honey Locust from one branch to the next. Let me see if I can get a pic tonight of what I'm talking about. Although the sample photo's seemed to be of a thornless cultivar... Hmmm...

attachment.php

I do cut a ton of the stuff... Miserable tree's they are...
:amazed:

A=Locust for sure

B=Ash for sure

C=Red Mapleish (red inner bark)

D=Red Maple 99% can see a little leaf...(red inner bark)

E= Going by the end grain and the bark and some of the leaves, Sib Elm.

But the heart shaped leaf in the one picture looks to be a Linden or a Basswood

F= Sycamore (wild) or London Plane (planted)

My .02

I've seen radical differences on a Honey Locust from one branch to the next. Let me see if I can get a pic tonight of what I'm talking about. Although the sample photo's seemed to be of a thornless cultivar... Hmmm...

attachment.php

I do cut a ton of the stuff... Miserable tree's they are...
:amazed:

The samples that I posted are of the thornless variety. The OPs pics are not consistent with the honeylocust in my area but are consistent with cherry. A good sniff or better pics would tell for sure.

...and the thornless ones are actually very nice to cut and split.

Hold on, I did not look at all the "A" group

A1, A2, A3, Locust 100% (thornless from a residental site)

A4 and A5 look like Cherry type or Yellow Birch...

<*)))>{

Hold on, I did not look at all the "A" group

A1, A2, A3, Locust 100% (thornless from a residental site)

A4 and A5 look like Cherry type or Yellow Birch...

<*)))>{

In A2 and A3 you can see on the smaller piece an area that looks like smoother bark with horizontal splitting as well. Features consistent with birch or cherry like in pics A4 and A5.

Thanks for all the debate trying to get at the bottom of this. One thing I'm learning is that ID's aren't always cut and dry and there's a lot of minor variation even within the same "type" of tree. We'll see how the weather is the rest of the week, I'm going to try to split into some of the "A" pieces to help with the ID. I must be getting the hange of this because you guys have some of the same debates I had with myself - seems like locust, but... I'll be darned but some of the pieces look like cherry. Then again, I've got a nose for honey locust already - got two of them this year and split it all myself, probably 6 cords or so, plus several seasoned pieces from the tree surgeon - and it all had a very distinctive, I'd say "acidic" smell. I'll let you know what my nose says, and I'll take pics of the split wood and post them.

Seems pretty solid that "E" is Siberian Elm? I'll go back after that as soon as I can. This year I layed up a good 4 - 5 cords of pine and various softwoods for November for my OWB, seems like the elm might be good for that purpose for next year. Its been a lot of work but I'm trying to get as close to a year ahead as possible in my first year of cutting. We bought the house in March and even though I've got a solid 30+ cords of wood for the winter, a good amount of that was locust and hard maple which I didn't get properly split until July. I'd like to save as much of that as possible for next year, so the past month I've been hauling loads of seasoned wood - some junk, some good - that's been sitting around at my local tree service. Every once in a while you get lucky - I bucked up / split a trunk piece that looked pretty well rotted this past Saturday, turned out to be some of the the densest, hardest wood I've come across yet.

After the feedback on the "B" wood I went back this afternoon and got a load of that ash. I've got a good buddy who loaded me up with a cord of wood when we first moved into the house in March, and he helped me with a couple trees (the two locusts) in the spring. He's got an indoor wood burning furnace in his basement, just started his own property maintenance business and he got busy so he's short on wood. I'm planning on splitting that ash and dropping it off to him next week. I heard somewhere that ash seasons quick and I'm hoping in a pinch he can still use it near the end of this season?

Thanks again for the input.

Latest posts

Back