most popular sized saw sold in the US

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread wasn't supposed to be which saw...Stihl already claims the Ms290 is...

Looking for a national CC average. Like top selling dolmar, husky, stihl, poulan, effco, echo, etc all averaged out.

I'm curious if the average is even more than 50cc......

Freakingstang said:
Thank you. that's what I am trying to get at. Some members here think homeowners need 80+cc saws for firewood. I would be scared to see every homeowner that has a wild thing or wood shark get a 372, 7900, 460 etc.

Sure is making the 346xp, 260, and 5100 look really good at this point, eh?

This is so true, Steve. No matter what saw a guy asks an opinion on, a couple of members always suggest he go up a size or two. Very often the saw he was considering was fine for his intended use.

What we sometimes lose sight of is that not everyone has the hobby/collector componet in their saw needs, and the willingness to spend more money for more saw. We see people in the store now and then with little or no money to spare who need to get their firewood cut. They aren't buying $500 or $600 chainsaws. Sometimes they don't even drive a $600 vehicle. But you would be amazed at how much wood some people are cutting with these smaller, cheaper saws that most of us, (myself included), dismiss as toys or junk. We have one guy that we sold a 639 Solo (39CC) to 10 years ago. It was a factory "re-furb" that cost him $169. He does 3 to 5 cords a year. We probably all know some similar stories with various "cheapies". I could tell a bunch more myself. Most often these people are cutting smaller stuff and they aren't expecting, and have probably never experienced, 372XP type performance.

Equip Bob the Homeowner with a 372 and a loop of full chisel and see what happens when he dives into that downed tree in his front yard...

Freakingstang said:
ok, I tried to do a search, but haven't come up with much in the ways of maufacturer sales in the US.

I was trying to find what is the most common/popular sized saw across the board in America.

All I came up with was stihl #1 saw was the Ms290. A good 50cc class saw.

Anyone know what the national average (cc wise) of saws sold?

Seems simple to me...find out the best seller for each manufacturer, average the sizes, and come up with a CC that no manufacturer offers...:jester:

I'm sure this is just a curiosity thing for ya' and it would be interesting to know the answer per MFG with number of units sold versus total units for that MFG. The average of the MFG's doesn't seem to have any utility since they pursue different markets.

Chaser

I cut for many years with a 33cc for homeowner duties, but was always wishing for more. Then a storm and needed more saw, got the 60cc. Sure thought it was a monster wooohooo. Then I tried out woods ported saws and WOOOOHOOOO. Wheres it stop. :hmm3grin2orange:
I think 50-55cc is the firewood homeowner norm from what I have seen. Also see alot of guys using the 40-42cc poulans too.

wagonwheeler said:
Seems simple to me...find out the best seller for each manufacturer, average the sizes, and come up with a CC that no manufacturer offers...:jester:

I'm sure this is just a curiosity thing for ya' and it would be interesting to know the answer per MFG with number of units sold versus total units for that MFG. The average of the MFG's doesn't seem to have any utility since they pursue different markets.

Chaser

No Chase he is trying to make a point to me, That I already Know.:popcorn:

manual said:
No Chase he is trying to make a point to me, That I already Know.:popcorn:

Manual, you know numbers don't lie. Homeowners know far more about firewood cutting than you want to admit... :hmm3grin2orange:

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers...

wagonwheeler said:
Manual, you know numbers don't lie. Homeowners know far more about firewood cutting than you want to admit... :hmm3grin2orange:

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers...

Your getting close.:rock:

Wes said:
Equip Bob the Homeowner with a 372 and a loop of full chisel and see what happens when he dives into that downed tree in his front yard...

You mean "one legged" Bob? Stumpy? Bleeding Bob? "Chainsaw Massacre" Bob, ...you know...

Mark

Well, I have to believe there are a gazillion 35-45 CC Sears / Poulan / Homelite saws out there sitting in homeowners garages. A friend works on power equipment p/t at a hardware store & the typical saw he sees is a Sears Poulan that has been sitting a year or 2 with fuel in the tank.

Wes said:
Well this Harry the homeowner found the stock 372's underpowered. So I have to break out the modded 7900 and 066 with the 32" Full chisel chains to take care of the 44" maple in the front yard. Now a modded 372 is a whole different story, super fast cutters then. :rock: :buttkick:

STIHLSamantha said:
http://www.stihlusa.com/events_chisholm.html

It says that stihl is the most popular selling saw in the world...and it introduces an amazing guy who really should be in this forum if not already....if he is...i hope you don't mind me putting this up....take a look and see....

Chisolm runs a competing forum, along with Tom Dunlap. Dunlap is a member (in good standing I might add! lol) here.

Latest posts

Back