motorbike logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't also be fooled by the weight of the logs. Not all logs are as heavy as what you may have at home.
I cut some dead straight 5 to 6 inch logs in a bit of rain forest at home for some bracing. I could not believe how light it was , it was no pine, don't know the species, just it was nice and tall, probably 12 metres tall ( 40 ft ) or more
I ended up cutting some small stringy bark gums as I was unsure how strong that light timber would be when dried
When you only have limited tools, ie motorbike, it is surprising what you can make do with
I know I have been places where you don't have the tools you require on site so you improvise to achieve the desired outcome

I'm not saying he can't do it.
I'm just not buying that he did...for long anyway.

Andy

Funny you should say that. I tried telling these fellas how it is for us... that we make their entire yearly wage in a day doing less work, that we have machines that pull the trees out of the woods with wires floating in the sky, and other machines that can pick a whole tree up and strip it of branches and bark and cut it to length. Told them how we all have our own cars, which we drive to work alone, and we live in houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms and other rooms that have no real purpose like a living room and a dining room, and that we often live in those houses by ourselves or with just one other person. They slapped me straight in the face and called me a liar. Demanded I take it back.

Shaun

Don't also be fooled by the weight of the logs. Not all logs are as heavy as what you may have at home.

Could be some truth in that

attachment.php

I had an email a couple of years back where in India they had a scooter and the back wheel had rope tied to the rim and it was used on a small lift for hoisting up bricks , the guy would rev her up to raise the lift. Scooter was tied down to something from memory.

throughout this site i have read how hard non-pro chainsaw enthusiasts say how hard we loggers work and i can tell ya-it ain't near as hard as people in 3rd world countries work or how hard our forefathers worked. My granddad and great-uncles owned the first power saws in N.W. Montana after WW II , before the war it was all axes and misery whips. Granddad used to tell stories of snow depth, lard and green ketchup sandwiches, horses and kerosene(old fashioned bar oil). When i start ranting about how hard something is i reflect on my Granddads stories and come around to humbleness. I for one have seen some pretty Jerry-rigged ordeals but we here in the spoiled world are dominated by "thats to hard"," it won't work", or "it's not safe". IMHO we have it pretty easy!

I had an email a couple of years back where in India they had a scooter and the back wheel had rope tied to the rim and it was used on a small lift for hoisting up bricks , the guy would rev her up to raise the lift. Scooter was tied down to something from memory.

That's an old get something up out of the ravine trick as well. Jack a truck up, bare rim goes on drive wheel, it's chained down, use the rim as a capstan winch. I have seen it done.

That's an old get something up out of the ravine trick as well. Jack a truck up, bare rim goes on drive wheel, it's chained down, use the rim as a capstan winch. I have seen it done.

This is a great trick for hunting situations, also. we use this frequently to yard out critters. One important thing to remember is to chalk the wheels and stabilize the axle with a jack stand . Used to have a wheel all set up with some ol' copper telephone line. Copper went back to the smelter.

Funny you should say that. I tried telling these fellas how it is for us... that we make their entire yearly wage in a day doing less work, that we have machines that pull the trees out of the woods with wires floating in the sky, and other machines that can pick a whole tree up and strip it of branches and bark and cut it to length. Told them how we all have our own cars, which we drive to work alone, and we live in houses with 3 or 4 bedrooms and other rooms that have no real purpose like a living room and a dining room, and that we often live in those houses by ourselves or with just one other person. They slapped me straight in the face and called me a liar. Demanded I take it back.

Shaun

Being poor doesn't mean you can abuse a piece of equipment and it will just keep going just because you can't afford to do something different. I know we are spoiled, and overpaid, and I enjoy the heck out of it.
What I don't enjoy is getting in a pissing match with people that I like. So you guy's go ahead and have fun with it. :cheers:

Andy

Being poor doesn't mean you can abuse a piece of equipment and it will just keep going just because you can't afford to do something different. I know we are spoiled, and overpaid, and I enjoy the heck out of it.
What I don't enjoy is getting in a pissing match with people that I like. So you guy's go ahead and have fun with it. :cheers:

Andy

C'mon Andy.... there's nothing finer in life than having a pissing match with people you like. Especially if there's some beer and a campfire! :givebeer:

imagineero- so were ya vacationing in that area? You're not really all that far away from there are ya? How was the food? Is there a commercial area where you stayed? How about any pics of monitor lizards... ( I think you Aussie's call them goanna) should have maybe seen some varanus indicus in the mangrove areas (black covered with bright yellow spots). Got any nice "hot snake" pics? I would be pretty interested in seeing more pics of the area :D

I'm heading over in august, the rainy season! Never have visited PH yet, but lived and travelled overseas from the age of 20-27, always on bikes. 5 years in korea, and the balance spread out in eastern russia, japan, indonesia and new zealand. Most of those pics were taken by fellow dutchmen and fellow rider living in phillipines who has a pretty cool website about what he's seen in his years there. I saw similar things in korea, and got up to plenty of mischief there myself. Is a 'hot snake' some kind of metaphor?

imagineero- 20 -27...I bet you were on bicycles huh?...even cooler if you were! Yep, I could definitely find mischief in Korea... I got to travel to Australia when I was 19...by myself :rock: Stayed in Adelaide and Sydney for 2 weeks!...shouldn't have ever come back to th States...

I've been riding since I was about 14 (illegally). 36 now. Best count I'm coming up pretty close to a million km (600,000miles) travelled on two wheels. I've lost count of the number of bikes I've owned, but there's been a lot. While travelling it was whatever was produced locally, which is just small stuff, but when you find something bigger you take it. Back home I've ridden mostly bigger bikes, but pretty much all jap stuff, and with only a couple of exceptions all road bikes. I'm on my second blackbird at the moment, 160,000kms on the clock so I'm looking for another bike.

Shaun

imagineero- 20 -27...I bet you were on bicycles huh?...even cooler if you were! Yep, I could definitely find mischief in Korea... I got to travel to Australia when I was 19...by myself :rock: Stayed in Adelaide and Sydney for 2 weeks!...shouldn't have ever come back to th States...

Never on Bicycles mate... it's all been engine powered ;-)

You're living a dream! I want to go across Alaska on a sport tour or big adventure bike. And I would like to travel the Trans-Continental bike trail across America (supposed to take a few months) on an adventure bike. Me and a group of guys in my area used to all have KLR 650s, we did everything that could be done to them to make them faster and sound better. We used to do a bunch of back roading. I spent more time training for XC and ended up selling my dual sport bikes. I would love to own either KTM 990 Super Adventure or the BMW GS1200 or that fricken awesome Triumph Tiger.

Thanks man! Sorry for hi-jacking your thread with a bunch of motorcycle and traveling talk. :cheers:

Any thread in the 3rd page of the F&L forum is well and truly off topic ;-)

I was living the dream, tavelling and working from one place to the next. That dream went on the back burner a long time ago though, and it's just business as usual for me like it is for most of us. It's taken me a few years to makeup for all that lost time, working and saving, buying equipment. I've got to a pretty good place now, truck and chipper, plenty of saws and rigging, few guys working for me. It's all owned outright and finally the moneys starting to flow. But wouldn't you know, it's the quietest winter for 4 or 5 years this year :-( I'm having a holiday anyway, havent had one for 3 years and I've damn sure earned it. It's only going to be a couple weeks, but its something.

Shaun

Being as that you are fin e with being off topic..who makes the "Black bird"? Never heard of one, is that something we can't get here in the States? I noticed you guys have cars over there that I have never even seen, I'm sure it is that way with the bikes. What side of Australia are you located? (I guess I could google it..)

Back