Mounting a chain saw to a log feed table.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to mount a chain saw to a log feed table. You then manually pivot the saw to saw the logs. I've seen pictures of this kind of setup, but couldn't see exactly how they secured the chain saw. Is there some gizmo I can buy to accomplish this. Or do I just have to fabricate something. Any ideas on the fabrication? This is manually operated. No hydraulics or levers.

Here's a short video of one in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkXT6_PiwdI
Thanks Guys

Don <><

Last edited:
interesting idea i have never seen one. I have seen slashers that were operated with hydros but never a chainsaw......

I saw something like what you're asking for years ago, but I think it was a failure. There was a plate drilled to accept the lower handlebar mounting points, and a U-bolt to clamp the rear handle down.

It seems to me the owner's son told me that the saw literally tore itself apart pretty rapidly mounted that way. Perhaps newer saws with a lot better antivibe would hold up much better. This rig would have been built in the 1960's using a saw from about the same period (or older).

Interesting to note, the guy that originally built it was a little ahead of the curve on the log-home boom in the 1970's, trying to modernize and make things efficient and profitable. He left the area in about 1980 and moved his operation south so as to be more comfortable working year-round. I'm going to see the son tonight (we're in a local bluegrass band together); if the opportunity presents itself I'll ask him about it again.

OP

This isn't the vid I was looking for....but it's kinda what you were asking for....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uvw8HHniz6w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uvw8HHniz6w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Call me old fashioned but I would rather be pivoting the saw away from me !!!!!!!!!!

A customer that i deliver wood to has a home built processor that uses a setup like you are talking about. He buys his bars about 4" longer than is needed to reach through the logs and drills the bar back close to the power head and mounts a pivot to the bar. He has used this setup for a number of years now with good results.

This looks a bit safer

Portek Limited
I have used one of these for a couple of years and as long as you can keep the clamp tight on the bar it does a good job. Best to have a helper holding the far end of the log and sliding it along. I have been thinking about making some sort of roller table to hold the longer logs.

Latest posts

Back