Moving wood to house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm a bit late, and the pics were taken in the dark, but here goes. The tractor is a '73 Massey 180, Dad bought it new, and me and it have spent a lot of time together over the years. It's got a 7' snow bucket that holds 2 rows of 16" wood, between 1/4 1/3 cord. Snow's knee deep in most spots, I had trouble getting up the hill back to the house with a load on the front, I'll be smarter and plow next time I go out there...

20140201_175002.jpg

20140201_175818.jpg

Wood chute into the basement, 10" PVC with a couple of scrap 4x4s bolted on for legs.

20140201_181714.jpg

Pile in the basement, note the indoor wood hauler, aka wheelbarrow, for moving the wood back to the wood room.

20140201_184457.jpg
It's about as easy as I can make it without going to an OWB. In better conditions, I'll often use the truck, just one row along the tailgate where it's easy to reach.

Nice. Looks like elm. You guys have a lot more snow than us. Hopefully the temps continue to moderate to more seasonal norms before you head Nord.

Is that Massey MFWD? If not do you have chains on the rears?

Hey del, those flames look awful low. Are you sure that jotul is an epa version? :p :buttkick::buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

I put about 2 1/2 cords on the back covered deck about October 15th.I have 2 airport luggage carts that hold about 1 1/2 cords each I fill as I split in the spring.As the wood on the deck runs low I just pull up a cart by the back door and use it as needed.The carts are fiberglass and have a roof with canvas sides.

I put about 2 1/2 cords on the back covered deck about October 15th.I have 2 airport luggage carts that hold about 1 1/2 cords each I fill as I split in the spring.As the wood on the deck runs low I just pull up a cart by the back door and use it as needed.The carts are fiberglass and have a roof with canvas sides.
That sounds awesome!

I can do that! I bought the rs1000 which comes assembled already, the "kit" doesn't allow you the upgrades or attachments that this model does. I will get some more picture together and start a thread.

i use a pallet jack and a 3' square box I built to haul from the wood shed to the house. The box holds one weeks worth of wood. It's concrete all the way and slightly down hill or it wouldn't work. I roll the box into the garage, park it next to a pass thru door where I can get it out in the den next to the stove.ATTACH=full]331891[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Pallet Jack 060.JPG
    Pallet Jack 060.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 55
  • Pallet Jack 059.JPG
    Pallet Jack 059.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 51
I made a wood rack that I keep on back porch by back door. To load it I roll it to the edge of the porch and load from my loader bucket. It takes 2 very full bucket loads to fill. Lately I have been thinking of making a second rack and just exchange empty for full. My loader should lift it. I have to test with my current wood rack.

When you go to your photos at photo bucket select the picture you want to use then click on it. a bigger picture will pop up. Then look on the right hand side and it will give you some options on sharing the picture, chose the one with IMG in the menu. place the cursor on the ural thingy in the box and it should say copy then just paste it here.

This is my wife's 1954 16HP Massey Harris Pacer. I stack all my wood out side the walk out basement door. I can stack two weeks worth be hind the furnace so I don't have to step out side on early cold mornings to get the first fill of the day. I hate the idea of hauling, stacking in a shed then doing it again to get it in the house. Recycled steel roofing keeps it covered during inclement weather. I only have to travel 20 feet from wood piles to the furnace.

:D Al

Wampum, we need some pics of those carts! I like seeing these different ways to get the wood the "last mile" before the burner! I'll have to post a few when I get a chance.

Well,........
Pile in the basement, note the indoor wood hauler, aka wheelbarrow, for moving the wood back to the wood room.
20140201_184457-jpg.331798

It's about as easy as I can make it without going to an OWB. In better conditions, I'll often use the truck, just one row along the tailgate where it's easy to reach.

That the brand new conveyor to get the wood closer to the furnace in the top right of the pic , it has that just outta the box look to it LOL

This is the easiest way to get it to the house with the gator straight down into the basement garage:
image.jpg
The other way is to fill up my bilco door area when the garage is drifted shut. I have removable steps that I'm not sure I've ever had in there. Lol:
image.jpg
Finally I move it to the wood furnace with my dolly cart which works way better than the barrel I used to use. Bonus points if u can guess the wood paneling in the corner!

I stack my wood on 28"x36" pallets with two 6 foot hoops built over them. When the stack in the attached garage is empty I take my little 4100 JD out and grab another pallet. I Hate stacking multiple times so this works out great!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have a Kubota 3130 Front End Loader I was using until this year, but in wet weather the Ag tires were tearing up the ground between the wood stack and the house pretty bad. Got a deal on a JD 855 with turf tires from an estate sale this year. Installed a 2" reciever on the box blade, and now I am just tying a wheel barrow or dolly to the reciever. I dont have the snow problems you guys have, just mud, and of course I dont burn as much wood (only about 3 cords a year indoors) so this is working pretty good. Haul a couple wheelbarrow loads to the house and put it under the drop shed before a cold front comes through, and I am good for several days.

Just tied a loop of cord to the cross piece between the handles of the dolly and looped it over the ball inserted in the reciever. Had to install a cross piece between the handles of the wheel barrow, but that was easy. Stack a few more pieces on the box blade and off to the house I go. Sure beats pushing that wheelbarrow through the mud. Surprisingly, the rig also backs down pretty well. The ball in the receiver pushes against the cross piece to back down. This would work well with any little lawn tractor or lawn mower that has a 3 point hitch.image.jpgimage.jpg

I keep my stacks within about 50' of the house. When the wood cribs in the breezeway get low, I just carry the splits in by hand. The exercise keeps my appearance youthful :). On average the cribs hold about 3-5 days worth, depending on how cold it is.

I keep my stacks within about 50' of the house. When the wood cribs in the breezeway get low, I just carry the splits in by hand. The exercise keeps my appearance youthful :). On average the cribs hold about 3-5 days worth, depending on how cold it is.
I use to keep my wood close to the house. Started getting too many uninvited guests in the house. After I spent a month recovering from a Brown Recluse Spider bite I moved the wood pile out to about 200 feet (Brown Recluse love wood piles). Now I knock the bugs off by hitting questionable pieces (pieces with bark on them) on the box blade before I load them to bring them closer to the house, under the drop shed out of the rain, and the nastys are pretty much left out in the cold. Brown Recluse is a common spider down here. Normally not aggressive, and would rather be left behind in the wood pile to dine on roaches and crickets, but the one I let into the house curled up in a shoe and bit me on the toe when I failed to give it a good exit strategy.

Keeping fire wood too close to the house down here is also an open invitation for snakes, termites, mice, roaches, powder post beetles, centipedes, and a host of other varmints. We have warm periods of weather down here even in the winter. Nice in that it keeps our fuel bills moderate, but unfortunate in that our pests stay active all year. I cant bring wood into the house at all (like in a basement, screen porch, or breezeway) until I am ready to put it directly on the fire. Even then I have to watch the hearth to intercept any spiders, roaches, or centipedes that persisted through my box blade test and then try to escape my open fire place.

Luckily no venomous critters around here. My stacks are separated from the house by concrete in the back and asphalt in the front. With the cold & snow we get, pretty much everything is dead if its still in the pile. I throw the pieces onto the ground to shake off any crap before they go in. Worst I've ever found was old mice nest and a couple of snake skins. Sorry to hear about your spider bite, it sounds unpleasant.

Back