Moving wood to house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is how I move the wood from the wood sheds to the house. The box is 4x4x5 so its just a bit over a half cord of wood when filled. The tractor is a jd 5400 68hp I have pallet forks on the three point and the loader. The three point has more lifting power than the forks. I have a smaller box built for the loader. I set this in the garage and then take plastic bins to carry into house. Running two stoves in a 6k square foot home, I go through a lot of wood! IMG_0675_2.jpg IMG_0676_2.jpg

Good thing you have the room for all that. I load up 16-inchers onto a wheeled tube-steel cart from NT, maybe 250 lb., bring that indoors to my 14" bandsaw, then buzz them in half there, to 8". Perfect size for my wee Morso stove. A cart-load's enough for a week.

I like inconspicuous consumption, but that's one thing we yankees are about. Sticks get plenty of time to air-dry in my stacks. :rolleyes:

A cool woodshed and any tractor that runs is nice.....ones with FEL make life seem unbareable without one. I just load my wood on wooden pallets and when its time to haul to the house, just fork it on up. I wanted to handle it less. Plus I love making my tractor do all the work. Makes me feel like I'm the boss of something. I'll try to remember to snap a pic after work since it aint true unless you have a pic.

Never seen FWA with truck tires on front unless it had turfs on the rear. Do you run them with turf rears in summer and swap the rears to ag tires for winter?

Never seen FWA with truck tires on front unless it had turfs on the rear. Do you run them with turf rears in summer and swap the rears to ag tires for winter?
thats a 2wd tractor... just doesnt have the big dust caps on the hubs
i have many many hours on a 97 5400 just like that one except its MFWD and has a 540 loader instead of the 520 like his
pretty good tractors, the transmissions could definetly be beefier though

another easy way to tell is the MFWD tractors run 24" tires and the 2wd run 16's...

I use an old farmer made trailer that I bought 27 years ago at a sale. And my good old reliable work horse 1950 8N Ford. Use it for all my wood hauling. From the woods to the barn where I stack it, to the house, when I need it. There are two removable basement windows, that go to the wood/coal room. I just use the one window. Can actually get quite a bit down there if ya go down and rearrange or stack it. But, I been lazy this winter, and just throw a load in and call it good for a couple weeks. :D

WoodPics001_zps736b265e.jpg

WoodPics004.jpg

100_0081.jpg

thats a 2wd tractor... just doesnt have the big dust caps on the hubs
i have many many hours on a 97 5400 just like that one except its MFWD and has a 540 loader instead of the 520 like his
pretty good tractors, the transmissions could definetly be beefier though

Bad case of brain fade. I saw the 4x4 part of the box description and connected it to the tractor somehow.

I hear ya on the transmission issues. I have a 5210 with the 540 loader & forklift attachment and about every 3 years it needs a new clutch. I wish i had a hydro-static drive. We do use it everyday though.

I hear ya on the transmission issues. I have a 5210 with the 540 loader & forklift attachment and about every 3 years it needs a new clutch. I wish i had a hydro-static drive. We do use it everyday though.
not a clutch issue here, it has the power reverser "shuttle shift" transmission it has 3 gear ranges (A,B,C) and 4 speeds which makes it a 12 speed trans.
use it for haying on some pretty steep hills somewhere in the 30% range, and the trans makes a hell of a racket pulling up the hill, then about 10 years ago pulling a baler and wagon down a hill and the trans jumped out of range and did a ton of damage to the trans, its been to the dealer many times for trans work and it hasnt been the same since, its still noisy and sometimes it wont go into "park" or come out of "park".
most of the time though it gets used to load logs on the sawmill and processor decks, and its awsome for that.

This tractor has the reliable 9x3 trans - the power reverser and the collar shift I think had issues. This one is pretty straight forward. I used it for hay and when I got out of that I kept the tractor. 4WD would be nice but I have not really needed it for what I'm doing which is just moving logs and bush hogging. My friend has a 7510 and a 4955 if I need anything bigger

I've been backing the truck up to the wood stack (and getting stuck in the snow drifts) load up half a face cord or so and then back into the garage and haul it all into the house and stack it next to the stove. Lasts about a week.
Next year I will have a better gauge on how much wood I am burning (new stove) and I can have most of it stockpiled by the back door and won't have to use the truck.

I use an old farmer made trailer that I bought 27 years ago at a sale. And my good old reliable work horse 1950 8N Ford. Use it for all my wood hauling. From the woods to the barn where I stack it, to the house, when I need it. There are two removable basement windows, that go to the wood/coal room. I just use the one window. Can actually get quite a bit down there if ya go down and rearrange or stack it. But, I been lazy this winter, and just throw a load in and call it good for a couple weeks. :D

WoodPics001_zps736b265e.jpg

WoodPics004.jpg

100_0081.jpg
That's a beautiful old barn!

In years past my shed to house wood mover was a 6 cu ft wheel barrow (single tire, usually half flat). I haul to a 10' long rack x about 4.5' tall on the porch next to the front door. Last year I had the kids take over getting wood after the first fill on the porch. They had the wheel barrow and a landscape wagon for the younger one.

This last fall I got a NH C185 CTL w/ my brother so they think they need to use that to haul. With an 84" extended length bucket you can get 2 rows in the bucket and it only takes two trips to fill the porch. They probably will not be happy come spring when the ground thaws and they have to go back to hauling across the back yard by hand.

Here's a night pic of the NH T2410. Just split this maple yesterday. Moving to the back for drying for next year. Man OHIOGreg is serious about his wood stockpille. Makes my 12 remaining pallets look poorly. I also have a 1950 Ford8n. Its a workhorse for me. Wood pallet.jpgWood pallet2.jpg

Yuk - stairs and firewood!

I gave up hauling my wood down to the basement via stairs when I built my functional wood chute last year. I'd tried a couple of other failed attempts prior to that - Steel was too heavy and a pain to get snow and ice off before use, and wood just didn't slide well on the plywood one I built. I'm using a piece of 10" PVC water pipe now, it works great, and if wood doesn't fit in it, it's time to split it again!

That doesn't help you with having to go UP stairs, though.

I'll get some pics of my chute in action tomorrow, and the deep snow firewood transporter. Gonna have to plug him in tonight to make sure he wakes up tomorrow.

Back