MS 200T disscussion on what breaks the most and service tips.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue I seem to have with my 200T is the fine mesh screen in the carb clogs up with fine saw dust every month or so. It's an easy fix to clean it out but WTF keeps causing it ??? I keep my fuel and fuel tank super clean. I put new pickup filters on and it never seems to cure the constant clogging of the fuel screen. I was thinking about wrapping felt around the filter to cure the problem for good or switching over to the felt type fuel line tank pickup filters. Any tips guys? Thanks

The only issue I seem to have with my 200T is the fine mesh screen in the carb clogs up with fine saw dust every month or so. It's an easy fix to clean it out but WTF keeps causing it ??? I keep my fuel and fuel tank super clean. I put new pickup filters on and it never seems to cure the constant clogging of the fuel screen. I was thinking about wrapping felt around the filter to cure the problem for good or switching over to the felt type fuel line tank pickup filters. Any tips guys? Thanks

That's weird, a clogged strainer in the carb is caused from a buggered fuel filter or splits/holes in the fuel hose or no fuel filter at all, it's the only way debris can get in there. And a split or holes or no fuel filter usually always stuffs the tune and makes the saw run ratsh#t even if the carb screen is clear. Strange...

Could be getting in from accumulation around the gas cap when you open it and some falls in or your gas can has fine dust in it.Clean around the cap with a brush and keep the can away from where the chips are flying maybe.

Thanks guys this is like saw class 101 lol. I always keep the fuel for that saw in a clean clear plastic closed can, in a 5 gallon bucket covered with a lid, out of the sun. I think I'm gona recheck the fuel line with a pressure vac test or just replace the damn thing again. I never pull the fuel cap without first removing all the dust, dirt and chips around it. I replaced the O ring seals whenever they show signs of wear or not sealing very tight to the tank. When I pop the cap on it it's always under pressure so I dought the saw is getting crud in the tank from the cap area. Yes, it does kill the tune after once or twice cleaning the carb screen and then I have to pull the carb and clean all the ports again. I do also clean the tank out every time I have the screen out or remove the carb to be cleaned. Like I said it is the weirdest problem I have ever had with a saw or any small engine. The crud is coming from somewhere and I just can not get a handle on it! Looks like I'm going to build a slightly modded MS200T in the next month and see if that saw encounters the same problem. Wish me LUCK LOL!!!

Truth is you don't need to worry about crap getting into the tank, that's what the fuel filter is there for. Any amount of garbage in the tank won't affect anything. Hell, after a few weeks on the job, the fuel in my grungy saws looks like vegetable soup but the saw still runs perfectly. Just swish all the garbage out of the tank now and again. And a clean tank and clean gas might look clean and clear in a glance, but tip the gas into a glass jar and hold it to the light, mostly there'll still be clouds of fine crap floating around in there. That's just normal for a chainsaw. If the carb screen is collecting dust then the fuel filter ain't doing it's job or there's a split or pinhole in there somewhere

Last edited:
200T carb probles, boy that question comes up allot. Somewhere there is a thread where I showed how to plug the accell pump circuit, and it'll run like new.

Latest posts

Back