Ms 241c Picco b & c issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I accept that. Now, in what application, or on what saw, or for what purpose would you use .325 over Picco? I had a 550xp running 325 and that thing screamed
Most 50cc pro saws are OEM equipped with .325, and is what I run on my MS261. That saw has roughly 1 hp more than the 241, so it can easily handle the increased load from the .325. Same for your 550XP. I find the cutters and chain chassis more durable than the 3/8 Picco. That is its main advantage.

Another option is to run .325NK (narrow kerf). It uses the same side plates as .325, but it is slightly more narrow, which allows smaller width cutters. This allows faster cutting than regular .325. Stihl doesn't have a .325NK bar/chain in the states yet, so you'd have to go with Oregon parts. You would use your existing .325 spur sprocket. I don't have much experience with .325NK, so I can't say much about it. I plan to run it on my 261, in the near future, as I like to experiment.

I have an 025 (Same as MS250) that was converted from .325 to 3/8LP. This is the same displacement as the MS241. It cuts like a scalded dog! It really makes me wonder why Stihl ever put .325 on these saws unless it was to keep them from showing up the almost twice as expensive MS260!
A fellow member brought his FIL's MS250 over for me to look at. Said it was a POS. No power and slow compared to mine. He didn't even like to run it. I took one look at the 18" bar/.325 chain and told him that was the problem. I had a good 16"bar/3/8lp chain and sprocket and switched it for him. He's been running it a lot more now with the improved speed.

Latest posts

Back