Ms 250 seams to run a little hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can also remove the plastic sleeve.. but I just learned something new roll pins! .. which carb is it? usually l and h are 1 turn out from lightly seated

I will have to look and get numbers and make off it. Never thought to. I need to bring a log home so i can tune saws at home. I set ot a little rich and will tune better when i go to bush.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I will have to look and get numbers and make off it. Never thought to. I need to bring a log home so i can tune saws at home. I set ot a little rich and will tune better when i go to bush.

Get me a log too pal! lol

you can also remove the plastic sleeve.. but I just learned something new roll pins! .. which carb is it? usually l and h are 1 turn out from lightly seated

My old 028AV was 1 1/4 out for several years then started overheating and seized. when being used in heavy big log cuts.
H is now set a 1 3/4 slight 4 cycle gurgle when engine first loaded. Before at 1 1/4 out the 028AV screamed like a monkey when cutting and really ran too strong, would really overrev when lifting from a cut or finishing a cut, had to feather the throttle at end of cuts..
I kinda suspect if I installed a new carb kit the H setting might come back towards 1 1`/4 area, H setting might have changed due to old diaphrams drying out. I had to re-adjust the L sometime back. I had kept the original setting wrote on the side of the saw with a permanent marker pen. I had installed a new carb kit approx. 20 years ago.

I have a big green pine log just outside the yard that's handy for testing saws under load.

Turn out the high side so it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the cut. it will run cooler and make better power. 87 shouldn't hurt that saw lean tuning on the high side will make it run hot and your low side sounds like it is to rich.
those saws cut faster with 3/8lp chain anyway been there done that.

Agree. Right on.

I run high test gas from canadian tire or petro, its supposed to be ethnol free. I wanna tune high side richer but thers a roll pin the stops it from turning. Im guessing just pull the roll pin out? It has 325 chisle chain on it and seems to work quite well with it.
And yes i let anything with a motor idle down. It drives my wife nuts when i drive cause i will park then let truck idle for min. Or so. Lol

When I was a kid, the speedlimits on highways were much higher than now, I remember driving the Jersey Turnpike, the flashing sign showed 90 mph. And we even drove 100 mph sometimes.
My dad told me the same thing; when coming off the highway after driving fast, the engine would be thoroughly heat-soaked, and to allow it a couple of minutes at fast idle to breathe off that heat. I don't think you'd need to do that unless towing.
I too allow my saws to idle a minute or two after cutting, unless it is really cold. Good idea.

had the ms 250 out this am. i had opened up the exhaust slots so it could breath better. i retuned it a little richer on high and leaned the low a little. it ran a lot cooler. after 10 min of running hard the cylinder temp was 270 c.

then my son ran chain into dirt grrr. had to shut it down and use other saw. will sharpen and use more another day.

thanks for all input and help.

randy

had the ms 250 out this am. i had opened up the exhaust slots so it could breath better. i retuned it a little richer on high and leaned the low a little. it ran a lot cooler. after 10 min of running hard the cylinder temp was 270 c.

then my son ran chain into dirt grrr. had to shut it down and use other saw. will sharpen and use more another day.

thanks for all input and help.

randy
Crap i ment 270F not C. That would be crazy hot[emoji15]

Did you check the cylinder jug temp before you made any adjustments?
No never did but the top cover got very hot and when shut off it had smoke come out around shroud be fore adjustment. After retune and open exhaust vent it was not hot at all and no smoke after shut off.

7ae01d56c4e5f3e033cbc68ba7c51fdc.jpg

These were so tight could barly get tip of screw driver in. Previous owner must have mabe had muffler aganst a tree and ther closed?

Forgot to mention in previous post. What position is the summer\ winter shutter in.

Still in summer mode. Not too cold yet.

Back