MS 250 vs MS 271. Which one do I buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superhunter12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All.

I am new to chainsaws and I am looking into buying my first one. I do like both the MS 250 and the MS 271. I would be using it for cutting brush and small trees. Looking for something that is dependable and will last. I have used a MS 250 before, but never used a MS 271. I liked using the 250 and did not know if the 271 had much more power that I needed for what I would be doing. Cutting brush and dropping small trees is the primary reason I would like to get one. Just not sure which one to buy. Can I get feedback on this please?

The MS 271 has more power and is more of a semi pro saw where as the ms 250 is home owner grade. I used both the ms 250 and a 270 extensively always were reliable. But the 271 and the 270 are different designs from what I understand. Either would fill your need's but dont make the mistake of getting something to small to start with. I'd say try the 271 out see how it feels. Good luck and welcome to AS

I bet the 250 will meet your needs (sound like pretty low goals). If you are not heating with wood, and just need something to trim or cut up the occassional blow-down, the 250 will serve you well. They are usually priced at ~$300. Be sure to buy some protective chaps (much cheaper than a trip to the ER) and wear hearing protection.

MS 261 50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.) 2.8 kW (3.75 bhp) 5.26 kg (11.6 lbs.) 40 to 50cm (16" to 20")

MS 250 45.4 cc (2.77 cu. in.) 2.2 kW (3.0 bhp) 4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.) 40 to 45 cm (16" to 18")

MS 271 50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.) 2.6 kW (3.49 bhp) 5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.) 40 to 50 cm (16" to 20")

Last edited:
For your intended use, the MS250 will be completely adequate. Get a saw for what you will cut most of the time, not for what you "might" cut at some future time. Should you run into a need for a big saw in the future, you would still want a smaller, nimble saw like the MS250.

Now that you have advice, go buy a saw and do NOT revisit this site unless you have problems with it. If you do, you run the risk of having 12 saws in your garage by this time next year.

For your intended use, the MS250 will be completely adequate. Get a saw for what you will cut most of the time, not for what you "might" cut at some future time. Should you run into a need for a big saw in the future, you would still want a smaller, nimble saw like the MS250.

Now that you have advice, go buy a saw and do NOT revisit this site unless you have problems with it. If you do, you run the risk of having 12 saws in your garage by this time next year.

Its a Stihl, I hope I have no issues with it. I take care of my tools. It should not fail like some of the reviews I have read on the stihl site. Such as when some ding dong put bar and chain oil in the gas tank.

Welcome to A.S.!

We put the MS 250's through a lot of work and they held up reasonably well. Basic stuff: keep the chain sharp; always use fresh gas; and don't rev the engine with the chain brake on. Good sized saw for 'brush and small trees'. If you have used that model and are comfortable with it, that is a plus. Good, basic, reliable saw in that size range.

The MS 250's are being phased out and replaced with the MS 251 - slightly heavier, but more fuel efficient. Gazillions of the MS 250s were made, so getting parts should not be a problem. They were discounted to $300 a few months back, but are back up again. You might get a dealer to honor the lower price (maybe?). But don't wait too long or you won't get one. Sick with the basic model - don't go with the tool-less chain adjuster which is a P-I-A in my opinion.

The MS 271 is larger and heavier and more money and has a little more power (1/2 HP) according to specs. If you don't need it, why shlep around the extra 2 pounds? You may not notice the additional power, but you will notice the additional weight.

If you can afford a little more saw upfront, the MS 261 is lighter than the MS 271 with about the same rated power. It is also more of a 'professional' saw, meaning that it is built to last longer, and will be more maintainable down the road.

Later on, if you find you need a bigger saw, you may want to look for a second saw that meets this need, rather than trying to buy an 'everything' saw that is too heavy for most things that you cut.

Good luck and ket us know what you decide!

Philbert

(P.S. - I started replying when this thread was only up to Post #3 - just lucky that I agreed with most of the posts in between me and those faster typists! Not trying to repeat things they said!)

Philbert

For your intended use a 40cc saw is absolutely adequate. I am always amazed why some people need a 50-60 saw "for cutting brush and small trees". The above recommendation for a Dolmar 421 is one of the best you can hear. In your case I would adhere to this information.

I appreciate all of the the feedback. I actually have three locations in the area (that I know of) that sell the saws that have been mentioned. Just trying to get feedback on what would be right for the right job. it all helps and I thank all of the viewers and people who have replied. Tomorrow I will be taking a roadtrip after work. I would have today, but I got slammed with a foot of snow and some rain.

I would go to the Cutting Edge...I promise you it will be worth the drive. I can tell by the name of the business you mentioned that saws are probably not their main focus.

Yeah they dont specialize in that stuff. They do have them on display so I can get the feel for them. Sometime I will make the drive to greenwich, probably when the weather gets much better.

I actually have one that is closer. Falls Farm and Garden.

Another vote for Cutting Edge. There's a big difference between a OPE dealer who also sells saws and a good old fashioned full service saw shop.

Cutting Edge will treat you right, give good advice, and take care of any problems that might come up.

Latest posts

Back