MS 250 vs MS 271. Which one do I buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update, saw was supposed to come in thursday at the garden store, come thursday, guy had forgot to order it!

It was not the garden store. It was the private Stihl Shop that was a family business. Only reason I am getting it here is because I save $35 on it. 10% is almost 10 gallons of gas or 4 gallons and a 30 rack of beer.

Congrats on the MS 250, we sell a ton of them, although it is being discontinued due to the EPA, there are still thousands in the distrobution chain. It is all the saw most people who cut their own wood need, for the guys cutting ten to twenty cord a year they are ideal as well as a trail clearing and general purpose farm saw. There are newer, lighter sexier designs available but it is yet to be seen whether or not they will hold up as long as this simple design has.
Parts will be available prolly for your lifetime due to the millions of of 025's and 250's that have been sold. With proper care, keeping the air filter clean, running good 89/91 octane and good mix in it and storing it properly, it should last you a lifetime, after running five gallon of mix thru it I'd have it checked with a tach and make sure it's still in the 13,800 to 14,000 rpm range. They tend to come from the factory a little on the lean side and after breaking in turn 14,200-14,400, we have customer's bring them back in after 2.5-3.0 gallon and go over the saw for free and make sure they are still within the factory spec,no more than 14k rpms.

It was not the garden store. It was the private Stihl Shop that was a family business. Only reason I am getting it here is because I save $35 on it. 10% is almost 10 gallons of gas or 4 gallons and a 30 rack of beer.

hey man, tomate-o, tom-ought-o....you know what they say, rome was built in a day, jack!

Congrats on the MS 250, we sell a ton of them, although it is being discontinued due to the EPA, there are still thousands in the distrobution chain. It is all the saw most people who cut their own wood need, for the guys cutting ten to twenty cord a year they are ideal as well as a trail clearing and general purpose farm saw. There are newer, lighter sexier designs available but it is yet to be seen whether or not they will hold up as long as this simple design has.
Parts will be available prolly for your lifetime due to the millions of of 025's and 250's that have been sold. With proper care, keeping the air filter clean, running good 89/91 octane and good mix in it and storing it properly, it should last you a lifetime, after running five gallon of mix thru it I'd have it checked with a tach and make sure it's still in the 13,800 to 14,000 rpm range. They tend to come from the factory a little on the lean side and after breaking in turn 14,200-14,400, we have customer's bring them back in after 2.5-3.0 gallon and go over the saw for free and make sure they are still within the factory spec,no more than 14k rpms.

Hey Thanks. I cant wait until the snow is gone so I can use it without falling on my but on the ice and cutting off my leg. I think it will be a good saw for me. I just picked up a MS390 that I could not beat the price on. I will use that once I feel comfortable with the MS250.

I just picked up a new MS 250 from the local hardware store today. I am replacing my MS 180 which I am going to sell to my friend and an old Poulan 2375 Wild Thing. I was trying to choose between the MS 270/280 and MS 250. The 270/280 have a great AV system but, were close to the 290 in performance and very expensive (new old stock MS 270 was 430 dollars).

The MS 251 will be replacing the MS 250 I liked the new pre-separation filtration system on the MS 251. I did not like the increased weight and the single bar nut, and higher price of the 251.

The 250 will be stable mate to my MS 290 which I picked up this time last year. The MS 290 will be the felling saw and big tree buck saw while the MS 250 will be my all around saw. MS180 was great but the wood is large on my 2 acre property and the saw was struggling.

Super hunter you should purchase chaps. I did people give me hell for wearing them but I do not like hospitals.

yea chaps are a good thing i think, i got bit by my little stihl 180 a few years ago, i got lucky. I was in the middle of cutting a little (approx. 12" dbh) birch tree down one weekend and the saw just quit, so after spending awhile trying to figure it out, I got it going...at 11pm. So I put on a headlamp and went back into the woods. After finishing the back cut I started off away from the falling birch with the chain still spinning (saw was still funky and took a little while to rev down, but I had it going and I couldnt be stopped from putting that tree on the ground!) and i slipped (pretty steep rocky terrain) and the chain grazed my thigh. Luckily the chain had slowed down quite a bit and i was wearing the double leg carhart britches. all it did was give me a little cut, drew a little blood, and I told myself not to do that again, cause next time it could be worse. I was wearing a hardhat ear plugs and glasses though, so at least I had some ppe on.

Latest posts

Back