Ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait one. Too lean and not oiling. You've taken it to the dealer (for the lean) and they said nothing is wrong. So you are going to make it a shelf queen because you don't want to wrench on it yourself and void the warranty? Putting the questionable compentency of the dealer aside for a moment, why would you put the saw up when you know how to fix it yourself? Put it on the shelf till when? The warrany expires and then fix it? What's the point

Not bustin your chops here, I just don't understand some people's approach to fixable equiment and fear of voiding warranties. What good are the warranties if they won't fix the issues? Fix the saw, sh!tcan the "warranty" and move on using your saw.

1 I have 40cc saws that run circles around it.
2 I have time right now to cut wood, not massage a new saw with issues.

My approach at this moment in time: I have reliable saws and wood to be cut. This one is not and since that warranty is a part of the price you pay for said saw I will see what happens and go from there.

Last edited:
Not any more, a friend bought a new MS290 from the one by the fairgrounds. Thing was screaming lean. I talked to the lady I know there and gave her the heads up. No change when he got it back. They said it was within specs. I do not trust the one north of me in K town they "May" be ok on saws but they suck on mowers. The one by Cherryland I have only used for parts. I just buy parts and spin my own wrenches.

Are you taking it to the dealer by the fairgrounds?

Yes

And 1 week later and I get the call "your saw is ready". So I ask what they found, "Nothing everything is oiling fine, oh that will be 33.75 since nothing was found therefore it is not under warranty."

Did I mention how much I love my Echo?:msp_biggrin:

Yes

And 1 week later and I get the call "your saw is ready". So I ask what they found, "Nothing everything is oiling fine, oh that will be 33.75 since nothing was found therefore it is not under warranty."

Did I mention how much I love my Echo?:msp_biggrin:
Wow. I would tell them to #### off.

This lack of good service from dealers is becoming more and more common. I don't like it one bit. I cringe when I have to take my saws to the dealer. Its come to the point where I will spend time here and search for possible solutions before I bring the saw in for the dealer to work on.

I would take the chain off and see if the sprocket on the bar tip is binding up some how. I was cutting in a field one day and touched the bar tip on the ground and picked up a ton of thick grass. It wound itself around the sprocket tip inside the bar guide and would heat up the bar quickly. I had plenty of oil coming off the end of the bar. See how easily the sprocket spins. Take your fingernail and try to spin it. The sprocket should spin very easily.

I did not see it in the thread but how easy is it for you to spin the chain on the bar while connected and tensioned correctly. Is it hard to spin??? maybe there are some bent "teeth" on the chain causing a lot of friction with that bar.

If you already spent 33+ at the dealer its time for a new bar and chain. Replace both and see what happens.
Mark

Last edited:
Then dealers cry about box stores, when you buy from the box store you know up front to fix it yourself.:censored:

My approach at this moment in time: I have reliable saws and wood to be cut. This one is not and since that warranty is a part of the price you pay for said saw I will see what happens and go from there.

"Time" as in you don't have 60 seconds to slightly enlarge the oul hole with a drill and small bit? You have more than that in posting here. And how long does it take to drive to the dealer, drop it off, and go back again?

New saws with paint in the oiler holes in the bars is a common occurrence, many threads here on this subject. And once in awhile, the deallers mismatch bar/saw/chain, it happens.

If that isn't it, swell, take it to the dealer, but it doesn't hurt to actually look at the hole, either.

I mean..if oil is coming out of the saw, but not going down the bar, one of two things, wrong bar, oiler hole doesn't line up, or the hole is blocked.

Nope checked bar # and it is correct, bar holes are fine no paint or other blockage.

Nope checked bar # and it is correct, bar holes are fine no paint or other blockage.

Well, down to if the bar oiler hole and the saw oiler hole line up, and the saw is pumping oil..the bar oiler hole is too small then to allow much flow. You have eliminated everything else.

Beyond that, I am officially stumped.

I have had a few bars didn't flow like I wanted, drilled them out a tad larger, as in not much, but it made a difference.

Good luck, those are decent saws, don't count it out yet.

Maybe It's Mine...

Well, down to if the bar oiler hole and the saw oiler hole line up, and the saw is pumping oil..the bar oiler hole is too small then to allow much flow. You have eliminated everything else.

I have had a few bars didn't flow like I wanted, drilled them out a tad larger, as in not much, but it made a difference.

I have the solution. I'll buy his MS 250 tomorrow and use it for the next 15 years. That will fix everything. :msp_wink:

I have a 3/8 lp bar, chain, drum and rim I might put on it.

I have a 3/8 lp bar, chain, drum and rim I might put on it.

Powerhead only to save on shipping, and only if you can include your avatar in person. :msp_biggrin:

Say, I just serviced an 025 with 13 years of service. Only thing wrong was a bad fuel line that had cracked right underneath the carb. After replacing that, the saw ran like a soldier. Even the pickup body was still good.

I got to work on my 025 oiler problem and after 2 pumps, checking every thing for passage I found no vent in the oil tank and some how it seems the pump pushes it through the hole where the vent should be. Oil must be taking the path of least resistance. It looks to me if the vent were there the oil would flow through the passage so I need to get a vent. Can't imagine what else it would be.
Your vent is to the left of the muffler, should be able to see it without removing the muffler. Might check after running the saw a while if any oil is being pushed out there.

That's what I thought about recent new saw. Boy, was I wrong?

One dealer monkey just set H mix by tach (apparently) to dead-stinky rich and ignored damaged fuel line in tank, or so said second dealer.

A second dealer insisted on billing me for a filter and carb cleaning, AND setting H & L mixtures about 1/2 turn too rich, besides idle speed around 5,000 rpm. (It would cut @idle.) He gave me a lecture about needing 93 octane, ethanol-free, and RedMax oil, since his x-ray vision found mine to be ng. Right. At least he left the 2 adjuster screws unlocked, however they try to lock you out.

From the performances of these prima-donna jerks, the only way I'd take a saw to a local dealer for any repairs, would be to launch it overhand at them. Way beyond a total waste of time.

Not to mention, the ms 250 is a gutless, plastic profit-source for stihl. Rated, per stihl, at 3 hp, honest. I want what they're smoking. Friend has one, sharpened per best advice I could give. He tried it side-by-side, against my 40cc RedMax, and PP4218. He was not pleased with the 250's performance. Only saving grace: the stihl name might induce some sucker to buy it, to cut his losses. (Yes, I showed him how to adjust mixture.)

He also bought a PP5020 after trying mine. 5cc more displacement than 250, and it will eat it for lunch. There are many reasons to unload the 250, if you can avoid probs with domestic politics.

Not any more, a friend bought a new MS290 from the one by the fairgrounds. Thing was screaming lean. I talked to the lady I know there and gave her the heads up. No change when he got it back. They said it was within specs. I do not trust the one north of me in K town they "May" be ok on saws but they suck on mowers. The one by Cherryland I have only used for parts. I just buy parts and spin my own wrenches.

The K Town dealer with the garbage shop next door lost my business. They didn't properly set up a brand new 372xp I purchased from them. Had a organizations brushcutter dropped off to them for a bearing or gear box replacement, called on it three weeks later and they hadn't even looked at it. Finally looked at it, part was on backorder and they never called to tell me. Get the unit back and fixed it for half the price with an ebay part.

Zero organization, poor customer service, not even apologetic.

Have you gone after the oil hole with a drill or air hose yet?

I always get my saws still in the box. I have great dealer support at the Husky dealer but i still put my own saws together,gas, and tune them myself.

Ebay and Craig's List are my fave chainsaw dealers. The more time I spend here the more wise a choice that seems.

I did pay a visit to my local Husky and Dolmar dealer yesterday, Marksman Equipment in Lawrenceburg, KY. Walking in I immediately knew it was my kind of place. The showroom was also a service bay and parts for many different machines lined the walls. There was no counter or anything, you could pick through their whole inventory yourself. There were two employees there, one was working on a huge chew of tobacco and the other looked to be straight out of Duck Dynasty. I poked around for a bit and asked the guy to order me a pack of Zama ZF-1 fuel filters which he did. I told them I like to fix up small engines and he said he would be happy to get anything I need, didn't try to sell me anything. Looks promising, I'm going to go back.

Latest posts

Back