MS 260 Head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigiron

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a older MS 260 that I'm thinking of replacing the head with one that I can install a decompression button in. The saw just pulls too hard for me. I'm 72 and only weigh 130 lbs. Is this a pricey project or should I just get a different saw. I'm just a home owner not extended use.

It is an easy enough job to do but depends on what the parts will cost you. Stihl parts are not priced the same across the board and aftermarket parts are hit or miss on quality. Where are you located, there may be some active members in your area that can help you out.

It is an easy enough job to do but depends on what the parts will cost you. Stihl parts are not priced the same across the board and aftermarket parts are hit or miss on quality. Where are you located, there may be some active members in your area that can help you out.
Quick question. Does a P/C kit with decomp valve plug included in the kit at least have the option to install a decomp button valve? Seems like it should. If so, seems like lots of these kits are available. Just replace the decomp plug with a decomp button valve. Most are not too pricey, either.

Quick question. Does a P/C kit with decomp valve plug included in the kit at least have the option to install a decomp button valve? Seems like it should. If so, seems like lots of these kits are available. Just replace the decomp plug with a decomp button valve. Most are not too pricey, either.

If the cylinder has a plug it can just be removed and a decomp valve installed, same size and thread.

My 260 has no decomp plug. Its a straight no decomp cylinder. Have no idea what an oem 260 pro cylinder costs but if he can get some help to install it , it might be a reassonable option.

I live in Maine(Gray)

Go to a machine shop and ask them if they could drill and tap a hole for a decompression valve.

Chinese cylinder kits are hit or miss on quality like mentioned above but cost around $30.
Better quality kits like meteor and cross are around $100+

Latest posts

Back