MS 260 vs 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the difference in these two saws? I understand the Pro has an adjustable oiler and a decomp valve. A dealer told my Dad that the Pro has a larger rod bearing. I've never heard this before.

I'd also like to know what's been changed from the older 026. Just anti-vibe stuff?

While I'm at it, what's changed from the 036 to the 360 to the 361? Anything besides anti-vibe improvements and tooless caps?

computeruser said:
Lots of differences between 036/360 and 361. Totally new design.

260 versus 260 Pro is only a matter of the decomp and the oiler, which is not only adjustable but does NOT pump oil at idle on the Pro.
My 260 doesn't pump oil at idle either. I don't know if thats new or not.
The parts on the 260 pro and the 260 are the same, otherwise.
Cant imagine why you need a decomp on a 50cc saw anyways, to be honest.

the 026 pro has a compression release and adjustable oil pump. to prove compatability heres some specs of the 026 Pro in my videos:

024 crankcase
026 crank
026 Pro cylinder & piston
026 non adjustable oil pump
026 crank bearings

the saw is also a woods port, not a race ported saw.

i do have one warning about using the 026 piston/cyl on an 024 case, the piston skirt will not fit in the crankcase unless you enlarge the hole for it. at the bottom of the stroke it will hit and try to destroy the piston skirt. that would be quite bad! especially since i used brand new genuine stihl parts.

Got my 361 today...

after reading this forum. I'd recommend it having it only one day. I was considering the 290 or 310, but the 361 is beyond my expectations.

I've got quite a bit to learn about it, but after owning several other saws, this one is in a league of its own.

Reading this forum did cost me some more $'s. But when I put it into perspective -- I'll probably use it for 10-15 years, or more -- the extra cost isn't really that much.

One thing I've learned over the years, paying for high quality tools is worth it. I waited a bit until I could afford it, and I am happy I did. :greenchainsaw:

what did the rock say to the new 260 pro sitting on the shelf?

Or what does a 260 pro have in common with 2006?

The rock said, DYAMN I'm as old as you!

Absolutely nothing. 260 and 1979 have more in common.. :laugh:

Freakingstang said:
what did the rock say to the new 260 pro sitting on the shelf?

Or what does a 260 pro have in common with 2006?

The rock said, DYAMN I'm as old as you!

Absolutely nothing. 260 and 1979 have more in common.. :laugh:

It just shows there must be something good about it :cheers:

Gary

Leroy said:
Reading this forum did cost me some more $'s. But when I put it into perspective -- I'll probably use it for 10-15 years, or more -- the extra cost isn't really that much.

One thing I've learned over the years, paying for high quality tools is worth it. I waited a bit until I could afford it, and I am happy I did. :greenchainsaw:
Now you're learning. When is the next purchase going to be.:ices_rofl:

I'm adding onto my house, so my next buy probably won't be another chainsaw. It'll probably be a good HVLP spray gun.

Maybe late next year I'll get a good limb saw to replace my trusty Homelite.

Hey man, you hang around here and you will be like me, started with a MS260, then and MS361 and last purchase was a MS441. This is an expensive place to play. But as they say, " If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch" The 361 is a fantastic saw and you won't regret the purchase!

Latest posts

Back