MS 290 Oil Pump Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to close this thread on a positive note because the new pump I installed did not fix the oiler problem. That drove me nuts because I had eventually replaced about every part in the oiler assembly. I decided to try compressed air through the inlet nipple and see if it made it to the port where oil enters the bar. Nothing doing, it was blocked somewhere. In fact, someone had driven a 3/4" machine screw from the front of the saw into the nipple and that screw completely blocked any oil flow from the pump, right at the elbow. Most of these saws have a small setscrew there.

I replaced that long screw with a much shorter screw and that opened up all the flow. Now the saw oils the chain as it should and it runs fine. In fact, I think all the parts I replaced were completely unnecessary. I had never run into this error before.

I would like to thank all who responded to this thread. The saw's owner was in the process of buying a new saw, and I at least saved him that trouble. This one now runs and oils the bar as it should.

Latest posts

Back