MS 360 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I rebuilt a 360 a couple months ago and its been running great until last night. When I go to start it, it pops with the choke with one or two pulls, I flip it up to the high idle and it will fire right up but die almost immediately and after that there's no more potential starts no matter how many times I pull on it with or without the choke or high idle. I've opened the muffler and everything looks good, took the carb apart and cleaned it out real good, just a visual on the impulse looks ok but I know I should pull it off to check (figured I'd get your opinions first). I have the H/L one turn out after I cleaned it but the saw ran great earlier in the day.
Also, this saw has a base gasket delete and muffler mod.

Did you check the fuel line and fuel filter? Stihl makes a new "green" fuel line that is supposed to be OK with the modern gas (with ethanol). I have seen fuel lines just shrivel right up. That may explain why it starts, but won't run, and won't start again till you leave it sit for a while. Clogged fuel filter may do the same.

If that is not it, I would check for spark.

[QUi TE="MustangMike, post: 4817240, member: 120204"]Did you check the fuel line and fuel filter? Stihl makes a new "green" fuel line that is supposed to be OK with the modern gas (with ethanol). I have seen fuel lines just shrivel right up. That may explain why it starts, but won't run, and won't start again till you leave it sit for a while. Clogged fuel filter may do the same.

If that is not it, I would check for spark.[/QUOTE]
No haven't checked those yet. It has a new aftermarket filter from the rebuild, maybe its the aftermarket fuel filter problems I read about here.

[QUOE="StihlFroling, post: 4817279, member: 120208"]Um, you have to put fuel in the gas tank you know.. Jk,,,,, hope you get it figured out easily[/QUOTE]
Its funny cause that's exactly how its acting. At first I thought "you idiot, you gotta put gas in it " but its got plenty. How embarrassing would that be after posting this and finding out that the tank is empty. Thank God I didn't do that

When I worked at my fathers shop as a kid it happened a lot. Amazing what you can look over while being frustrated. It almost sounds like the diaphram is shutting the fuel down.
Maybe you need a bigger fuel pump for those extra mods..........jokin kinda mood today, can ya tell

Well I checked the impulse, fuel filter and fuel line and everything seems fine so I took the carb apart just to double check and the inlet needle was sticking. I didn't see that the first time. Once the baby wakes from her nap I'll see if it was the problem. Thanks for the help everyone.

[QUOTstangMike, post: 4817357, member: 120204"]I see you are right below Meriden, we took our dog there last year for rehab. Great people, but it did not work out.[/QUOTE]
Well thats what was wrong with it, its running great again.
Sorry to hear about your dog.

Glad you got your saw running right. My 044 was acting up earlier this year, occasionally hard to start. Rebuilt the carb, no change. Was ready to rip it down and do seals, etc. and the problem completely went away. For the last month always fires between 2 and 5 pulls, idles great and runs strong. Likely something in the carb cleaned itself up. It is nice when they run right.

[QOTE="MustangMike, post: 4817536, member: 120204"]Glad you got your saw running right. My 044 was acting up earlier this year, occasionally hard to start. Rebuilt the carb, no change. Was ready to rip it down and do seals, etc. and the problem completely went away. For the last month always fires between 2 and 5 pulls, idles great and runs strong. Likely something in the carb cleaned itself up. It is nice when they run right.[/QUOTE]
A good running saw with a nice sharp chain, nothing beats it.

Back