MS 361 Review so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone that helped me on my 1st major saw purchase which I named "Big Brutus" The MS 361 is doing just great and has some hours behind him now:heart: Does this desease now grow to a MS 440...........then a 441 for Thall????? :hmm3grin2orange: then a MS 660? "Brutus" drinks quite a bit of oil and gas compared to my first saw........the almighty MS 180:biggrinbounce2: Does anyone else have any tips to offer me to keep Big Brutus running smoothly for years down the road :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
talon1189 said:
Just wanted to thank everyone that helped me on my 1st major saw purchase which I named "Big Brutus" The MS 361 is doing just great and has some hours behind him now:heart: Does this desease now grow to a MS 440...........then a 441 for Thall????? :hmm3grin2orange: then a MS 660? "Brutus" drinks quite a bit of oil and gas compared to my first saw........the almighty MS 180:biggrinbounce2: Does anyone else have any tips to offer me to keep Big Brutus running smoothly for years down the road :rockn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Like that 361 do ya, your not alone. Its a good saw. Sold many, still waiting for one to come back for something, anything but no luck yet,grrr,LOL

As for the saw itch yup it will grow on ya if you hang around the site too much. Go ahead and plan on a 440, Da Prince(441) or 460, all three are good and then get the King(660) and be done. You may consider a nice limbing/trim saw a step down from "Brutus" too.

Pointers on keeping "Brutus" going for years on in. First keep those filters clean. Secondly keep that fuel mix fresh as you can. Thirdly keep those chains sharp. Fourly and most importantly don't put "Brutus" out in the shed for months on in with fuel sitting in its tank. Lastly go over the saw every once and while and check it over and give a cleaning while your at it...

As for the saw itch yup it will grow on ya if you hang around the site too much. Go ahead and plan on a 440, Da Prince(441) or 460, all three are good and then get the King(660) and be done. You may consider a nice limbing/trim saw a step down from "Brutus" too.
Thanks Thall..........I just don't want the desease to get too bad and carry into Manuals favorite saws:chainsaw: the Husky........Hehehe! I figured that you "outhouse" monger thinkers know what's better :clap: :rock: LOL!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon :rock:

talon1189 said:
Thanks Thall..........I just don't want the desease to get too bad and carry into Manuals favorite saws:chainsaw: the Husky........Hehehe! I figured that you "outhouse" monger thinkers know what's better :clap: :rock: LOL!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon :rock:

haha, yup do most of my utmost serious thinking on the throne in the outhouse, a placed of peace and quiet, depending on beans of course,LOL

Now ya know Manual is going to see that post of yours and come at ya. He's a pretty decent ole cuss though. Don't yaw get to fueding too bad now, take it all in stride and remember always your right no matter what because he thinks he is too, LOLOL

Don't stop at the King (660), monarchy went out of fashion ages ago...go the whole way and get a "mans" saw - 880 Magnum and know that the rest are bowing :bowdown: to the real boss.:)

PS the 018 is a perfect match for an 880, trimming off the small bits that get in the way, the 361 is the perfect midrange for the small stuff the 880 would not stoop to.

stingray bay said:
Don't stop at the King (660), monarchy went out of fashion ages ago...go the whole way and get a "mans" saw - 880 Magnum and know that the rest are bowing :bowdown: to the real boss.:)

PS the 018 is a perfect match for an 880, trimming off the small bits that get in the way, the 361 is the perfect midrange for the small stuff the 880 would not stoop to.
Yea.............BUT...........Ya need to be the incredible hulk to be swinging an 880 as that damn saw weighs what? 21 + pounds :laugh: I would go with a modified MS 361 or a 440 before I would go that way :D "Big Brutus" has been eating some serious wood lately without even a hiccup here :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
Glad you are liking your 361, it is almost as smooth as the 441. Do as Thall said and it will last you for what seems like an eternity.:givebeer:

THALL10326 said:
Like that 361 do ya, your not alone. Its a good saw. Sold many, still waiting for one to come back for something, anything but no luck yet,grrr,LOL

Pointers on keeping "Brutus" going for years on in. First keep those filters clean. Secondly keep that fuel mix fresh as you can. Thirdly keep those chains sharp. Fourly and most importantly don't put "Brutus" out in the shed for months on in with fuel sitting in its tank. Lastly go over the saw every once and while and check it over and give a cleaning while your at it...

OR................. you could get with the good Doc. Freak and get ya an 046 with the BB kit tweaked out and out run the 066 with less weight:hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

talon1189 said:
Yea.............BUT...........Ya need to be the incredible hulk to be swinging an 880 as that damn saw weighs what? 21 + pounds :laugh: I would go with a modified MS 361 or a 440 before I would go that way :D "Big Brutus" has been eating some serious wood lately without even a hiccup here :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

NOOOOOOOO..... Try "a lot more than 21 lbs.." you forgot the 5 foot long 404 bar and chain!

talon1189 said:
... Does this desease now grow to a MS 440...........then a 441 for Thall????? ....

Great that you are happy with the 361!:biggrinbounce2:

I would consider stepping past the old 440 (and the 372xp), and go for the 441 or 460, when having a 361 already.;)

However, I would wait a year or so before thinking too hard about the 441, to get some real user rewiews, and let Stihl streighten out the bugs first (if there are any).....

My dream saw at the moment is the Husky 390xp, but it will probably be a lot more expencive than the MS 660 when it appears here....:bang:

"Brutus"? As in "Brutus Buckeye"? And you're from Michigan? Wow. Just "wow".

Go BUCKS!!

MMWWWHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAA!

Brutus"? As in "Brutus Buckeye"? And you're from Michigan? Wow. Just "wow".

Go BUCKS!!
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Go Wolverines here in Michigan :cheers: We gonna kick some Buckeye butt :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

sawinredneck said:
OR................. you could get with the good Doc. Freak and get ya an 046 with the BB kit tweaked out and out run the 066 with less weight:hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Orrrr, you can get educated and buy a 2171 port it and watch those guys with 066's tuck tail and run.:taped:

Spartans for me.

My 361 (little winky) lets just say I'm working on it.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Great that you are happy with the 361!:biggrinbounce2:

I would consider stepping past the old 440 (and the 372xp), and go for the 441 or 460, when having a 361 already.;)

However, I would wait a year or so before thinking too hard about the 441, to get some real user rewiews, and let Stihl streighten out the bugs first (if there are any).....

My dream saw at the moment is the Husky 390xp, but it will probably be a lot more expencive than the MS 660 when it appears here....:bang:

Wait a minute,
you tell the man to consider a sthil, But your dream saw is a Husky. Hmmmmm
The 372 is not dead it's Jonny Red.

I can tell you that if you hang around here for long you will have more saws! I got a 361 last December and a 441 2 weeks ago! LONG LIVE DA PRINCE! They are both great saws.

I have had my 361 about 10 weeks , used it a few times ,I started reading this web sit last spring , before that I thought my 25 year old 032 was the best thing going , I started reading more and more about the 361 and how people like it so much , I finally went out to my dealer , to look at one . well after I saw one I just had to have one , it is a great saw, also glad I found is web site , never had a wedge before I found this web site , now I have 3 , when you think you know all there is to know about something you fined out there is a lot more to learn . Thanks TedMI
000_0624.jpg

saxman said:
I can tell you that if you hang around here for long you will have more saws! I got a 361 last December and a 441 2 weeks ago! LONG LIVE DA PRINCE! They are both great saws.
Nice accumulation of saws so far.:clap:

Back