MS 390 can it handle a bow bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well...after doing a lot of research here I have found a place where I can get a Stihl Bow NOS pretty cheap... yes I am aware of teh danger of using one and I will be cautious and use all the proper guards etc. And no I am nota novice woodcutter....my question is that I was told by one Stihl dealer that the MS390 cannot handle teh heat that a bow willgenerate due to its polymer crankcase...I currently(and will still for all operations except bucking felled timber) use a 25" straight bar... and it seems to do just fine with it. Does anyone think she is right? I know she hates the 390 anyway and says it is a piece of crap...but what does anyone else think? BTW I found out that Baileys DOES sell the guards separate from teh bows for $20 a set.
J.D.

The benefit...well I like collecting cool and interesting stuff especially if it's also useful. But as to it's utility...I cut reams of firewood each season and I hate to bend over...I'm about 6'2" and the bow helps with that. Also it is supposed to not pinch in teh wood very easily as a regular bar does when bucking felled timber. It has it's drawbacks that I am aware of...but it's a useful implementa nd a piece of logging history which I would like to have,
J.D.

I don't see why it couldn't handle a bow. A 25" bar can put more leverage than a bow since w/ a bow you're pushing into the saw and with a bar you're torquing the bar relative to the saw.

The guy I got my bow from had it on a 028WB and said that was his setup back when he cut firewood for income. He bought it new w/ the bow setup and that WB looks VERY used...

Again, the way a bow is used puts little torque on the powerhead, the bow foot holds the bow in place - not you and the powerhead.

Glad to know about the guards from Baileys - been meaning to call and ask 'em the same question since I've not fabbed any for my bow.

Chaser

Thanks for the comment Wagon...I have seen the 039 go one ebay with a bow and the 041 too...she was saying the crankcase and bottom end would get eaten up... I'm not sure I believe it. Maybe have to throw that bow on and give it a shot. Have you got yours running yet? And did you see where I said you could buy the guards separately if need be?

Diesel JD said:
Thanks for the comment Wagon...I have seen the 039 go one ebay with a bow and the 041 too...she was saying the crankcase and bottom end would get eaten up... I'm not sure I believe it. Maybe have to throw that bow on and give it a shot. Have you got yours running yet? And did you see where I said you could buy the guards separately if need be?

How does the bottom end know if there's a bow on there? If it's cutting happy then I see no foul. You'll know soon enough if there is too much load on it cause it'll bog down.

Hadn't bought chain for mine and I did see your comment on guards and plan to get some ordered instead of wasting time (that I don't have) braking some - since I dont' have a metal brake...

Thanks! And I'm only 2hrs up the road from ya here in Valdosta...3mi off 75.

Chaser

Diesel JD, I just have 1 question? What size bow do you have because I have 4. 1 is a 14" it will only cut 14" with the end of bow 2-16" 1-18". It seems to me that you'll put more stress on the saw with a 25" bar when your cutting big wood. The bow will not allow you to cut more than the end of the bow 14" 16" it's still less than 25". And I've had the 14" on my 036 Pro for 4yrs. with no problems. Sounds like she wants to sell you another saw

I don't know if she's trying to sell me another saw or if she just wants to discourage me from the bow guide...but I can't say for sure how big this bow is...it actually looks a lot like the 12" job that wagonwheeler posted on here last month. It may be bigger though...I don't have it in my hands yet just looking at pics. However I get what you're saying about cutting only wood as big as the bow and this putting less starin on teh saw. Makes sense. I never bury the 25" bar and rarely cut wood too big for even a 12" bow anyway.

Back