******MS 460 MS 660 Decisions******

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootjack Chris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lost a bunch of oaks this past winter and my 90cc orange Swede finally turned boat anchor. I have not bought a new saw in over 20 years. I am looking at the MS 460 for a property cleanup job that consists of several dozen 3,4 and a couple of 5 foot diameter oak trees and many large pines, firs, and cedars. I think I can borrow a 100cc saw for the big trees.

What saw here? MS 460 or MS 660??

What chain are you using for bucking oak? Some of it is seasoned.

I think I am settling on a 32 inch bar.

I have another saw with a 20 inch bar.

Tell me your thoughts please.

660 all the way IMHO. I think it will handle anything you have. Put a dual port muffler cover on her too.

As far as chain I'm using Oregon CL and filing it round. Full Comp.

32" bar??? 660..... Ain't no debating that... They don't interest me in the least, but they're a fine machine, and I think you get a little more bang for your buck with a 660 as opposed to a 460... "Using a 32" bar" :cheers:

Another +1 for the 660 if you want to run a 32" bar/chain.

The "I think" I can borrow a 100 cc saw..." seals the deal..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

After owning both and using them extensively in oak, for a stock saw, the 660 hands down if you plan on keeping a 32" bar on it. If one had plans on modding the saw, I'd go with a 460. The woods ported 460 I
have will eat a stock 660 alive and then some. 660's are a good saw, tough, reliable, dependable, they are also fuel hogs, and just a little heavy for what we do and we don't have any timber a 460/372/7900 won't handle.

Price quote from my dealer:

MS 460 with 32 inch bar and Stihl chain (3/8") $1000 OTD

MS 660 with 32 inch bar and Stihl chain (3/8") $1200 OTD

Are there any California emissions BS on these?

Thanks for the input so far.

The 460, with a 76.45cc, 6bhp motor can't handle a 32 inch bar...why not? I see that the 660 is right at two pounds heavier and makes 7 bhp and could run the 32 inch no problem. Not trying to be confrontational and I really don't have an opinion on the matter, I just want to learn.

This is a big purchase for me I want to consider all angles.

Thanks again

Last edited:

The 460, with a 76.45cc, 6bhp motor can't handle a 32 inch bar...why not? I see that the 660 is right at two pounds heavier and makes 7 bhp and could run the 32 inch no problem. Not trying to be confrontational and I really don't have an opinion on the matter, I just want to learn.

Thanks again

It can handle a 32" bar. But not near as good as a 660 IMO. Do yourself a favor and try to run both saws before you buy. You may well end up liking the 460 better. Or you may feel the difference in power when pulling the long bars with the 660.

After owning both and using them extensively in oak, for a stock saw, the 660 hands down if you plan on keeping a 32" bar on it. If one had plans on modding the saw, I'd go with a 460. The woods ported 460 I
have will eat a stock 660 alive and then some. 660's are a good saw, tough, reliable, dependable, they are also fuel hogs, and just a little heavy for what we do and we don't have any timber a 460/372/7900 won't handle.

Did you mod your own saw or did you send it off? I really like the idea of buying the saw and running it. But if I can have a lighter saw with the power of the larger saw, I think I might go for it.

How much did your mods cost?

Anyway, I started to buy a commercial Husky at a commercial Husky dealer it was an XP model saw. I opened the saws cover and looked at jug and looked at the carb....CHINA!! The carb had China written right on the top. Perhaps it stood for Cliff Heinz Industrial Needs Assiociation?? That sealed the deal for me right there. I don't care if it is solid gold now, I do not want to pay top dollar for a saw and have anything on it made in China. So I guess I am a Stihl man now. There aren't any parts on a Stihl made in China are there?

Thanks again

Torque... On larger bars it makes a difference. Take MacLaren's advice if you can, You'll see how a few more cc's can make a difference...

only stihl?

if not,
dolmar 7900
solo 681
husky 390 or 395

all very comparable alternatives.

believe it or not ALL of these saws are going to have parts from china one way or other including stihls.

Are there any competitors in your area? You should shop for a better deal.

For 200 bucks more I would definitely forget the 460 and go with the 660. If you have allot of old growth trees I'd look into an 084 as well.

Did you mod your own saw or did you send it off? I really like the idea of buying the saw and running it. But if I can have a lighter saw with the power of the larger saw, I think I might go for it.

Anyway, I started to buy a commercial Husky at a commercial Husky dealer it was an XP model saw. I opened the saws cover and looked at jug and looked at the carb....CHINA!! The carb had China written right on the top. Perhaps it stood for Cliff Heinz Industrial Needs Assiociation?? That sealed the deal for me right there. I don't care if it is solid gold now, I do not want to pay top dollar for a saw and have anything on it made in China. So I guess I am a Stihl man now. There aren't any parts on a Stihl made in China are there?

Yes... Don't be afraid of the big Husky's... But if you want a Stihl, by all means get one... But look for a little better price than 1250.00...

Every Husqvarna XP saw I've seen, the P/C was made by Mahle. They have a plant not too far from me at all in Greeneville,TN.
It's actually real close to mdavlee. And another thing, IMO, a 395 XP is dang hawg if there ever was one.

If you are not dead set on brand , Go with a husky 390xp, much smoother, better air filtration and a tad cheaper. I had simon do one up for me and it walks all over a 660. 660 is old technology at this point. After running newer husky's , I sold all my stihls. Grossly overrated saws . Thats just my opinion. You wouldn't regret a 390 one bit.

If you are not dead set on brand , Go with a husky 390xp, much smoother, better air filtration and a tad cheaper. I had simon do one up for me and it walks all over a 660. 660 is old technology at this point. After running newer husky's , I sold all my stihls. Grossly overrated saws . Thats just my opinion. You wouldn't regret a 390 one bit.

S'a great suggestion - but the 660's do have a bit of an edge on power over the 390xp. That's not to down play the 390 by any means though - they're badass no doubt about it.

You want a newer updated model, go with the 390. You want the saw with more grunt, 660 all the way.

Latest posts

Back