MS180 or MS192

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I'm afraid of. Can anyone confirm the RPMs of the 180 and 192?

Not sure why you care a lot about the WOT rpm - the rpm in the cut is what important. Stihls are limited by port design, not the coil, so you can "turn them up" if you desire.

RBtree has a ported 192T and loves it. Maybe he'll post his opinion.

I'll stay with my MS200... for the next 25 years. ;)

Last edited:
I went with the 170. Other than Easy Start and the quick chain adjust I don't think there is much difference between it and a 180? The dealer recommended the 170 over the 180 so that's what I bought. For the price I would buy the 180 and if you don't like it you can sell it and get most of your money back. I love my 170. With the micro kerf chain it rips through the small stuff faster than my 350. Its a handy little saw!
Dok

Formmost guys who are looking for a reliable little limbing saw I'd recommend the 180 all day long. But since you seem to enjoy modding and getting some extra perfomance out of your saws I'd got for the 192 atleast. Because I'd imagine you can get the hp out of the 192 to match the 200 for less than 300$.

I dont know about the other small saws but, I bought a MS180 just before x-mas. And I like that little saw. Cut 3/4 of a cord of wood with it wednesday. Everything was 5in and under.. Mostly all birch and some maple... It was through it in no time...... Like a hot knife through butter.:clap:

Had the 361 with me and didnt even break it out.... Like WoodJunkie said,,A good saw for a good price.

I made alot of cuts also.. Takes alot of those small trees to make a load for sure. The PMN Chain is still very sharp!!!!!

Last edited:
OK, add the Makita/Dolmar DCS401 to your short list. It has 10% higher power and 10% less weight then MS180.

Sure it is a very good "budget" candidate - but not if max rpms are important - and it is an old design...

How about the 420?
I understand it isn't as heavy as initially reported.....

Last edited:
rear handle MS200T

I've been looking for a rear handle MS200T on eBay. They all have top handles. Does anyone know why?

How about the 420?
I understand it isn't as heavy as initially reported.....

Interesting. I haven't stumbled across the 420 since it's not on Dolmar's USA web site. However it is listed on their international site. I suppose it'll be an EPA saw with cat.

It looks like they're going after the MS250 with this new model.

NO rear handled 200T's on Ebay?

Because the "T" means TOP handle...

The rear handle is not very common. Not sure I've ever seen one for sale used. I'll never sell mine.

Last edited:
I went with the 170. Other than Easy Start and the quick chain adjust I don't think there is much difference between it and a 180? The dealer recommended the 170 over the 180 so that's what I bought. For the price I would buy the 180 and if you don't like it you can sell it and get most of your money back. I love my 170. With the micro kerf chain it rips through the small stuff faster than my 350. Its a handy little saw!
Dok

My 170 has performed very well in the 3-4" stuff. They go for about $180+ tax around here.

Interesting. I haven't stumbled across the 420 since it's not on Dolmar's USA web site. However it is listed on their international site. I suppose it'll be an EPA saw with cat.

It is, and it was on the US site the last time I looked........

Dolmar - 2008.pdf

..but 2.0kW/2.9bhp dosn't add up, 2.7bhp fits better with 2.0kW - reminds me of the initial 4.0bhp ratings on the 5100S, just a tad worse.....GRRRRRRR

Last edited:
Formmost guys who are looking for a reliable little limbing saw I'd recommend the 180 all day long. But since you seem to enjoy modding and getting some extra perfomance out of your saws I'd got for the 192 atleast. Because I'd imagine you can get the hp out of the 192 to match the 200 for less than 300$.

I'd be curious to see if you can get the HP out a 192 to match the 200 for equal or less than the price of a 200. With the 192 weighing less...seems like it would make for a hot little set-up. However, if I were going to do something like this...I would seriously have to consider just going with the the 200 to start with in order to eleviate the hassle (there's nothing wrong exploratory tinkering, mind you). I sure would be interested in the outcome though...gains vs. $$$$ vs. time = worthwile????

Nope, he asked about alternatives - and that one is a winner......:givebeer:

Fantastic small saw to handle.....:rockn: :rockn:

Actually...you're right! He did mention alternatives; you saw that crack in the doorway didn't you! :hmm3grin2orange:

Actually...you're right! He did mention alternatives; you saw that crack in the doorway didn't you! :hmm3grin2orange:

The MS200 etc feels "cramped" in comparison, the 339 is just light, but with a "normal" distance between the handles - totally different feel....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back