MS180 vs PS-401 vs G3800AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out and did a little testing today. I ran both the stock and ported MS180s with .043 and .050 guage chain. The PS-401 has .050 chain. I found it interesting that I got the fastest times on both the stock and ported 180s with the 0.050 chain. I was not expecting that. The 180 cuts best with a moderate amount of pressure. Not real light, but not pushing much either. The Dolmar was another story. It doesn't have the RPMs of the 180 but has a larger engine and more torque. It cuts best when you really lean on it and pull the RPMs down.

I'm just curious as to how many tanks of fuel you have through the 401 now?

Bought my Makita 401 the other day for a good price.
Works for me. Buzzed through everything I need it for being a once in a while user.:greenchainsaw:
Think It could use a adjustment on the low side for its bogging a bit right off the blurp but once it rolling rips real nice.

Question: What is the best way to pull the limit caps off???

I'm just curious as to how many tanks of fuel you have through the 401 now?

Not being a firewood burner or logger, this little saw won't likely see any more action until I'm back up at my BILs for Christmas. Lots of projects to work on between now and then anyway. I just finished up rebuilding a 064 for a friend and am putting the 038 Mag back together. I'm also antisipating the Lightning from Alaska. It was to be shipped today but got delayed a week. I hope to have it by Christmas.

No need to.......

420 test report

4.7kg = 10.4lbs.

I know, you've post this before but when I held those 2 saws (401 & 420), side by side, I just couldn't for the life of me feel 2lbs difference. The 420 is a very nice saw!......My 401 topped off with fuel, oil and 14" B&C......11lbs.

The Dolmar 401 has more power and more displacement; why is it slower to cut than the stock MS180?

:confused:

Because it has a lot less RPMs.

So it might be faster (than the 180) if you:

...put a bigger sprocket on it to get the chain speed up to the 180's?
...tested it in bigger diameter wood that would bog down the 180?
...tried it with a bigger chain (.325 narrow kerf?)

???

Do you still have the MS210? I'd love to see how it stacks up the the 401 and 180.

Last edited:
So it might be faster (than the 180) if you:

...put a bigger sprocket on it to get the chain speed up to the 180's?
...tested it in bigger diameter wood that would bog down the 180?
...tried it with a bigger chain (.325 narrow kerf?)

???

Perhaps. I've thought about the larger sprocket on the Dolmar. It cuts fastest when pushing on it and pulling the RPMs down. So its got the torque. Bigger wood? Not for this size saw. This is already pushing it IMHO.

Me thinks it's not broke/ran in yet. :)

It's turning 13,200 with a muffler mod. More breakin isn't going to make that much difference. I set it by ear before the muffler mod. I later checked it and it was right on 12,000, the factory spec. It's turning all the RPMs it's supposed to. It's a 20 year old design and wasn't made for speed. But it's a great little saw and you can't tell much difference when out using it.

Last edited:
Again, how many tanks of fuel have you run through the saw?...1-2?

Face it, the dolmar is slower. It isn't the end of the world. If you have ever used a 180, you know they are a potent little saw. They will smoke an old 012, which has more cc. The 180 has the rpm and the small chain helps a lot.

Well, I surely don't see it as the end of the world. :dizzy:

Just was wondering if the saw has been run in yet and apparently it hasn't been.....If a saw is at its peak performance after 1 or 2 tanks of fuel, that's news to me.

I feel the timed test runs would have been more credible if the saw had more time on it so face that. :)

Hey You Guys, you passed me right up..
What is the best way to get them limit caps off.
My Makita 401 is bogging as you mention...
I like to adjust it a bit.

Back