ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersammy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do they make a stihl 180 without the easy chain adjustment thing? I had a similar setup on a craftsman and the chain would never stay tight.

I've got the quick adjuster on my 270 and have never had a problem with the chain loosening up. I'd think it'd loosen up a little as it warmed up and the chain expanded, but not much.

I have 2 MS180 and have never had a problem with the chain coming loose. When I use a new chain I have to tighten it a couple of times to adjust for the stretch.

My dad has the 180 with the quick adjust and he has never had a problem with it. I like it for cutting brush and grape vines and such.

Do they make a stihl 180 without the easy chain adjustment thing? I had a similar setup on a craftsman and the chain would never stay tight.

Catalog doesn't show one without.

May have to look at an alternate model. I have no idea, but one of the Stihl gurus may be able to tell you if it's possible to swap a MS170 cover and tensioner on to a MS180.

Take Care

The easy chain adjustment has never been a problem on my 180. I think with the locking 'nut' you have it firmly placed after adjustment.

Yep, never had a problem with mine, works great! Like said above a ms170 set-up might bolt up, but you'd probably have to have both side by side to tell.

I don't think so, you might look at the MS210, they have two models, one with, one without.

I love the easy adjuster on my ms 270, never a problem. I think you would like it.

I love the easy adjuster on my ms 270, never a problem. I think you would like it.

It is good to see so many like that new adjuster thingy. I saw it for the first time yesterday when looking at the MS 180/210/250 saws at a local dealer. The salesman has the new style on his personal 270 and really liked it also. I just don't trust it and thought it might be better to go 'old school' with the wrench nuts and screwdriver head, but maybe you'all will convince me otherwise :)

I had some problems with my ms180 staying tight. talked to a stihl guy and he said to keep pressure on the tip of the bar while tightening chain.

I had some problems with my ms180 staying tight. talked to a stihl guy and he said to keep pressure on the tip of the bar while tightening chain.
You have to lift the nose of the bar like every other saw otherwise as you are using the saw the bar wants to ride up reguardless of how tight you make it. I have never had an issue with my chain comming loose on my 180. I love that saw lightweight and poweful for its size...

MS 290 w/20"
MS 210 w/16" Easy2Start (Wife's)
MS 180 w/14"
020t w/16

Stang - how to compare your MS180 againist your wife's 210, other than the easy start? If you had to own one or the other, which would it be? I am trying to decide on 180/210/250 (230 no dealer around here seems to have).

What size bar are you looking for? I think that the 210 is overkill for the 14" bar but would run it with no problems. If you are looking for a 16" then I would go for the 210/250. The 180 handles the 14 inch bar with a picco chain beautifully. If you are looking for a good lightweight limbing saw I would go for the 180. I pickup mine up off of ebay as a non-runner. Changed the fuel filter in the tank and been off running ever since. I got $75 in it so far and got way more than that out of it.

I can get a 180 from my local dealer cheap because they have 3 that where ordered and never picked up. They all have a 14" bars and quick chain adjust thing, which from the other posts seem to work very well.

What size bar are you looking for?

I am not sure, seems like 14" would work for the downed limbs and trimming, but if I would go with a larger saw like the 250 I would go with a 16" bar. So many choices, even looked at a Echo 330T, no Dolmar dealer close, I really like the Stihl line up.

I've got the quick adjuster on my 210, never had any trouble out of it. I have a 170 & if i had to pick one over the other it would be the 170.

RD

Back