MS180C Driving me NUTS!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok this is the last saw that I have in my "Bed of Stihl" haul I posted a while back. Finally got it out a few weeks ago. The saw originally got the wrong spark plug put in it and poked a hole in the piston. Got a new oem piston installed in it and cleaned it up. Put it back together and tried firing it up. Fired on choke, flipped it to half choke and it fires right up but then a second later it will die. Ok cleaned the carb. Soaked the carb in some thinner for a week, blew it out with some carb cleaner, re-assembled, same thing. So I am thinking new fuel line and filter. Get those installed, same issue. I have a junk 017 that had a carb on it. Installed it on the ms180, still same issue. When I cleaned the saw I cleaned the muffler and spark arrester, air filter is clean, new spark plug in it.

:dizzy:

Sorry about your luck, Might want to try a leak down test sounds like it might be leaning out. Grab a vacuum tester and see if its holding the pressure. If its holding pressure, fatten up the low end on the carb I cant remember if that saw has a adjustable carb on it. Hope this helps.

Sorry about your luck, Might want to try a leak down test sounds like it might be leaning out. Grab a vacuum tester and see if its holding the pressure. If its holding pressure, fatten up the low end on the carb I cant remember if that saw has a adjustable carb on it. Hope this helps.

It does not have the adjustable carb. But yes I will have to press and vac test.

Anyone else? It just seems like it should be something basic. Are the ignitions on these known to fail? Could it be a sheared flywheel key? Last night I did press and vac test the fuel line and tank and it held pressure but did not hold vac.

A new carb. is 27 bucks. And they have been known problem causers. Did you do a pressure vac on the crank case?

I spoke to soon. I think I am just having some carb tuning problems now. This carb just has a LD screw adjustment. So if you turn it clockwise it is actually back the screw out and if you turn counterclockwise it runs it in. Any info about setting up these carbs? Thanks!

as reading the post i was thinking the carb is not adjusted right, cant remember for sure but i think it wants to be turned out 2 1/2 from seated. Try that if i i get time i will check mine. I went thew the same problem you are having:bang:

as reading the post i was thinking the carb is not adjusted right, cant remember for sure but i think it wants to be turned out 2 1/2 from seated. Try that if i i get time i will check mine. I went thew the same problem you are having:bang:

Well the saw ran good for a few cuts then just died. Then it seemed like it would start easy on choke, run at fast idle for 3 min or so then die. During the 3 min fast idle run time if I hit the gas it would bog and die. Loosed the fuel cap and it would start back up on high idle, hit the trigger and bog. So first I am thinking fuel tank vent. Replaced that and turned it counter clock as far as I could to let more fuel in, so I thought, and then it ran great. So I am like WTF? Then I looked at the carb screw and discovered it was backwards threads so I turned it counterclock to fully seated then tried one turn out and two turns out and the only thing it does now is start on choke and spit sputter and die on half choke fast idle. :bang:

Latest posts

Back