MS180c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean.nickelson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used MS180c today for $20. It was at the saw shop. The kid who owned it, a part time mechanic at the shop, said he got it with a blown piston. He said honed the cylinder and replaced the piston after he got it. He said it would start but wouldn't run. I'm going to mess with it over the next few weeks to see exactly what's wrong with it.

I already know I don't really like the bar tensioning system. It probably needs the carb rebuilt. It needs a new chain. I'll probably need to buy a compression tester now. If I really dislike the saw I'll get it running and sell it.

I think I have CAD.

That is the one saw series I hate to work on and generally see as a waste of time and effort... if it's dead, there needs to be a dumpster in it's future. Save yourself dollars and aggravation! For the same money go find a Husqvarna 340-345-350 to build into a warmed up 350 or even a 346. Sorry if anyone happens to like those things. Everyone I have ever had to work on has been both a time and money sink pit.

i dont agree with weimerdog in this saw (the ms170-180) for the $20 you have into it even if you spend $50 more parts ( order the fully adjustable carb from china off a ms-250 off ebay for $20) and do a muffler mod you will have a lite good saw or rebuild it and say fuk it for the experence you will get .you will learn alot more spending the $80 rebuilding that saw because the 021,025,029,039 (and all top handle saws from stihl) are built the same as that 180.

I am doing carb and muff mod on one just for fun- got a cheap wt215- gonna sell it as a "hot saw" in the local CL when done!

i dont agree with weimerdog in this saw (the ms170-180) for the $20 you have into it even if you spend $50 more parts ( order the fully adjustable carb from china off a ms-250 off ebay for $20) and do a muffler mod you will have a lite good saw or rebuild it and say fuk it for the experence you will get .you will learn alot more spending the $80 rebuilding that saw because the 021,025,029,039 (and all top handle saws from stihl) are built the same as that 180.

I guess if you look at it from an educational stand point... LOL I won't go there but I was tempted. I did learn something.. :) And if you get it running well.... some one will certainly buy it. So from that perspective I can't argue... just I have nervous twitches and might be scarred for life from the educational experience! Also I guess if you run it.... everything you cut with it means less wear and tear on your good orange saw or pro orange & white saw... :)

I agree, only as a learner. Once you get to 100 you'll be at the resale value of a decent used one. That number May vary a bit from state to state.

Latest posts

Back