MS200T Early Model Fuel Tank air vent question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrafire2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My good neighbor has an early version model (I think) MS200T. He had a problem with the saw where it would not start any longer.

I immediately assumed it was a clogged carburetor, so I took it apart and to my surprise it looked very clean and had no gunk or gel residue. I cleaned it well just in case, put it back together and the saw would still not start.

I checked the plug and that looked good, I then checked for a spark and that was good as well. Then I started to realize that every time I opened the fuel cap i heard air rushing in, like the tank was air locked. I also realized that the spark plug was dry, even though the carburetor seemed to have fuel residue in it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I then suspected the fuel tank air vent. So looking at the air vent (located on top of the tank to the left of the carburetor), there was a plastic piece that broke off as soon as I touched it. Then looking inside the tank I saw the other piece of the air vent, it was an orange tank vent stem. When I removed it I then realized the issue with the saw not starting, it sure was an airlock issue, part of the stem broke and was blocking the opening. I then started the saw without the air vent valve, and the saw burped at first pull, and then started right up. Pretty impressive! Needless to say I was really happy I found the issue.

So, I did some searching and found out that most of the MS200T saws have a different type of air vent than this saw has. Most saws have the air vent as part of the fuel pickup line together as one piece, two tubes. This is when I started to realize that there may be two versions of this saw. I believe this saw is an early version MS200T model? To be honest portion of the model number has wore off, so all I can see is the first 3 digits of the model number MS2, but when searching I could not see any other model possibilities than MS200T.

The question I have is the following, all the searches I did, did not reveal the vent parts needed for this saw. Can someone please direct me to a place, or give me the part numbers so I can order it?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Bingo, thank you HarleyT! Now I understand everything. Doing the searches for the air vent I saw the new updated parts for sale. but could never find the original one, or an explanation on how to install the new vent version...
Thank you so much!

Just wanted to post a folloup conclusion of this thread. I ordered the new vent kit for this early model vent system, and $30 later and the saw works great!

Thank you for your help HarleyT!

Just wanted to post a folloup conclusion of this thread. I ordered the new vent kit for this early model vent system, and $30 later and the saw works great!

Thank you for your help HarleyT!
What part # was the new vent kit ?

Latest posts

Back