ms200t How to remove carb and clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfirew8

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi again,

Well, parts are arriving and I'm tearing down the saw further, that you saw in:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/198567-2.htm

It's starting to look a lot better... and cleaner! This is quite different from the lawn mower engines I'm used to working on, and I don't want to break anything (more parts $$). I'm taking my time and wire brushing, cleaning, and scrubbing as I go.

Anyway, I have two questions:

1. How to get the top handle & carb off. The top handle appears to be held on by the rubber intake manifold and some fuel lines. I'm not sure what's holding the carb down onto the top handle. Is there a procedure for this saw out there?

2. The clutch and brake drum. Is it reverse threaded? Is removing it as simple as putting a wrench on one side and a socket on the other? Or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance!
HF

There is a good video on youtube for MS200T carb removal - Stihl ms200t carb removal - YouTube

To get the clutch off put a piston stop in and unscrew CLOCKWISE. To put it back on either pull some slack in the starter cord or remove the starter then screw it up anticlockwise.

I've never had to take a handle off one of these so can't advise on that.

To take the handle off after the carb has been removed, remove the bolts that are screwed in to the front and rear AV mounts, the screw that holds the handle on to the lower front AV mount by the bottom of the recoil cover.

take out the tw metal flanges around the rubber inlet boot inside the airbox, push the intake boot through the hole in the back of the airbox.

Remove the impulse line from the underside of the airbox, remove the wires around the front AV mount and bingo, the handle is removed:rock:

Sensing a trend here...

Thanks, Zippy! You're always a big help.

To take the handle off after the carb has been removed, remove the bolts that are screwed in to the front and rear AV mounts, the screw that holds the handle on to the lower front AV mount by the bottom of the recoil cover.

Thanks... but I have complications... like the side cover, the carb is glued tight. Part of my confusion is that I thought it should just come off at this point in disassembly... now that I've seen the video Zippy pointed me at, I see that it really should just come off at this point! The broken handle seems secured only by the rubber intake manifold. The good news is that I picked up my new handle today, and I just ordered a like-new carb on a certain well-known auction site, so I'm going to see if I can strip off all the parts and move them over.

take out the tw metal flanges around the rubber inlet boot inside the airbox, push the intake boot through the hole in the back of the airbox.

Remove the impulse line from the underside of the airbox, remove the wires around the front AV mount and bingo, the handle is removed:rock:

Sorry, what do AV and TW mean?
HF

Thanks, Zippy! You're always a big help.
Sorry, what do AV and TW mean?
HF

Sorry - AV = Anti Vibration, Stihl call then "Annular Buffers", they are the steel/rubber mounts, one rear top, one front top and one front bottom by the recoil cover.

TW??????

The carb being stuck - have you removed the rubber side cover - Stihl call it a grommet, it is the rubber part you put the screw driver through to tune the carb,

It can be pushed through from the inside of the airbox with a screw driver.

Hope this helps.

I agree with spudulike about the rubber cover.

Only other thing I can think is you've got some binding between the studs and the carb - maybe bird poo enhanced corrosion - looking at your photo from before.

That could be challenging to deal with!

234493d1334883866-img_6431-jpg

Thanks guys, I solved the problem by slicing the rubber intake manifold in half. I have a new top handle and a new-ish carb, and an intake, gasket and some links on the way, so I'm just going to reassemble on the new handle and forget about the old one.

I agree with spudulike about the rubber cover.

Only other thing I can think is you've got some binding between the studs and the carb - maybe bird poo enhanced corrosion - looking at your photo from before.

That could be challenging to deal with!

234493d1334883866-img_6431-jpg

Yikes! That sure is one rough looking saw, but I bet it'll clean up nice. Its certainly worth the effort as they are great saws.
Post some "after pics" when you get a chance...:rock:

Love mine but have broken 2 brake handles on the thing riding in the back of the truck. Make sure they don't roll or you will have the same issue. They are a great saw. You'll love it once back together. Post the pics.

Latest posts

Back