MS200T or 3120Xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
all these saw comparisons lately have me thinking....I need a top handle and a big husky...On;y problem is I am only allowed one saw (from the two listed).

Take the saws out of my sig and throw them away. The two saw choices are 200T and the 3120xp. Which is my soon to be new saw and why?

Only things I can think of on the top of my head are:

200T- can use it one handed

3120xp, probably can't pick it up one handed....

Help I need help deciding.....:popcorn:

Well Freak, I know I might not be helping but if you don't own a 200T you don't know what you are missing. What an awesome saw.:givebeer:

Freakingstang said:
all these saw comparisons lately have me thinking....I need a top handle and a big husky...On;y problem is I am only allowed one saw (from the two listed).

Take the saws out of my sig and throw them away. The two saw choices are 200T and the 3120xp. Which is my soon to be new saw and why?

Only things I can think of on the top of my head are:

200T- can use it one handed

3120xp, probably can't pick it up one handed....

Help I need help deciding.....:popcorn:

I would get a Wildthingy That fast Poulan..

Here ya go Doc, get the 200, machine a big bore kit for it, add another bar stud and set it up for the midsize bar mount!!! Now you are running 70ccs on a top handle saw that weighs 13lbs and will run a 28" bar, what more do you need?:notrolls2: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

04ultra said:
I would get a Wildthingy That fast Poulan..

Red would have found a used Mac or Homey and did twenty five things to it until he found what was wrong and fixed it and then had himself a new saw which according to him would have been better than a 200T

Just Mow said:
Red would have found a used Mac or Homey and did twenty five things to it until he found what was wrong and fixed it and then had himself a new saw which according to him would have been better than a 200T

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :clap: :clap:

Just Mow said:

Until it broke again, latter that day:greenchainsaw:

sawinredneck said:
Here ya go Doc, get the 200, machine a big bore kit for it, add another bar stud and set it up for the midsize bar mount!!! Now you are running 70ccs on a top handle saw that weighs 13lbs and will run a 28" bar, what more do you need?:notrolls2: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

I was thinking more along the lines of a MS31200T. Big bore kit for a top handle that comes in just over 110cc...Set if up with a narrow kerf .325 20" ultra lite bar. I could use it on the small stuff and scare the big stuff over...

Hmmmm. the doc will have to think about that one more in depth...

Freakingstang said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a MS31200T. Big bore kit for a top handle that comes in just over 110cc...Set if up with a narrow kerf .325 20" ultra lite bar. I could use it on the small stuff and scare the big stuff over...

Hmmmm. the doc will have to think about that one more in depth...

You could call it Freakersourus..:hmm3grin2orange:

I dunno Doc, 110cc tophandle might be a bit tourqy, I was thinking of keeping it small enough to use, ya know, 70-80cc range:hmm3grin2orange:

sawinredneck said:
I dunno Doc, 110cc tophandle might be a bit tourqy, I was thinking of keeping it small enough to use, ya know, 70-80cc range:hmm3grin2orange:

That would suck if I blipped the throttle and it took my ear off. Might have to rethink that one......

C'mon guys, big or little? Go big, or stay home with the 200?

Freakingstang said:
That would suck if I blipped the throttle and it took my ear off. Might have to rethink that one......

C'mon guys, big or little? Go big, or stay home with the 200?

Seems to me I might know of a 3120....:cheers:

>

Well, I guess for the all around saw, get the 200 and run an 18 on it, might be slow, but will get it done and its light enough to use all day:hmm3grin2orange:

If I get the 200T with a 37" bar, what 2 stroke oil should I run for optimum performance?

or what if i get the 3120 with a 13" bar? I was thinking amsoil at 350:1 for this one, but am unsure of the propper oil and mix for the little monster....

Too many choices

AWWWW, you don't need none fo that fancy stuff!!! Just go to Wally world and get whats on sale that day, run it at 16:1 so you don't burn it up!!
I think I would try and find a 10" for the 3120 and go for the 48 on the 200, then bring on the big wood!!

I forgot to add, you need to run e-85 for fuel, it burns a lot cleaner and you're saw will run cooler and better:deadhorse:

Why are you looking at pro saws anyway??? Are you sure you need one? I mean you are paying a lot more money for a saw that you may not need to? The money you spent on either of those saws would easily buy several of the lesser model saws in the long run!!

You also need to look at the atributes of running veggie oil for bar oil, whatever is on sale that day, no need to get fancy with it!

Just get the saftey chain to, they make it for a reason!

Don't worry about sharpening it, just throw it away and buy new when it's dull, save a lot of time that way!

No, you don't need an saftey equiment, just run it until ya cut something off, tape it up and cut again!

I figured others would jump in, for the newbies, this is all in jest, DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THIS SERIOUS, YOU WILL GET HURT!!!!!
Saftey disclamer from AS!
Andy

Help I need help deciding.....:popcorn:[/QUOTE]

I know you are teasing with your initial post, but I thought I'd play along. This post is aimed more at non AS folks that are buying a first saw.

My brother and several friends are long time certified professional arborists. Lots and lots of saddlework. Most of them don't actually enjoy top handled saws, but of course they use them a TON because of how much time they spend in a tree where top handled saws are necessary due to the lack of space. Once on the ground they all prefer a saw with a tail.

When you ask them about top handles, they usually don't recommend them to non climbers. Top handle saws by nature give less control due to their lack of a tail, and for example most pro carvers run saws with a tail.

The top handle saws are fun at first, but since alot of what I do with small saws is fast and accurate trimming on big blocks of wood to size them for working them, I really prefer a tail as well. I feel it is a little safer as well as I have much better control of the bar with having my hands further apart and more in line with the saw--I can work much faster and more accurate.

So of the two I would take the 3120. I occasionally find myself fighting the urge to get one with a 50 inch bar, even though I seldom need more than my 42inch bar. But I suspect in a moment of weakness one will find it's way into my shed eventually.

Last edited:
Back