MS241 C-M, B&C options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was just told my saw has came in. But Stihl regulations say it has to leave with a "green" chain on it.

This is flat out not true. It is a recommendation nothing more. The crazy **** dealers are saying these days is just amusing.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Not difficult

Have had a MS241 CM for several years. As a matter of fact I broke in my Stihl dealer's reps demo saw when it first came out on my treelength pile. It had 63PS3-55 on it.

Liked the saw so much I bought the saw from him as a demo when his new one came in 6 months later. Broke that one in for him too, with the supplied 63PS3-55 on it. Both had the spur drum sprocket.

My saw uses nothing but 63PS-55 since the original 63PS3 needed to be replaced. To be honest, unless you do a lot of bore cuts, the performance difference between the 63PS and 63PS3 is minimal. Both cut considerably faster than the old 63PM that was the gold standard chain for years on the MS200T.

To the OP, if the dealer wants to send your saw out with a "green chain, per Stihl's recommendation", just ask for 63PS3, run it and buy loops 63PS as needed when ready for replacement.

Take Care

Well, I was just told my saw has came in. But Stihl regulations say it has to leave with a "green" chain on it.

You guys were right, or the guy putting it together is wrong. It had a 6 tooth spur sprocket on it.

This is flat out not true. It is a recommendation nothing more. The crazy **** dealers are saying these days is just amusing.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
i'm thinking they say that to cover their butt.may be a legal thing. i guess if it was they would only sell green safety chain.
@Overkill338. i hope the purchase works out for you. if you dealer doesn't want to deal tell them to pound sand. plain and simple. tell them guys you know have not had a problem buying this saw. tell them you'll talk to Stihl management about "their" problem.

hi Duane. how's thing up norf?
All good! I really like the 241 for the type of wood I have to cut. Not much on our place over about 16". Hope you are good too...

Also OP, nothing wrong with the P6 Spur. Wear it out first, then upgrade to rim system

You guys were right, or the guy putting it together is wrong. It had a 6 tooth spur sprocket on it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, PS3 is fast cutting chain.

I feel sorry things so simple get mashed to hell and back on these forums and made to be 10x more confusing than they really are.

As far as 50 gauge picco chain goes on your 241 :

PS : (yellow label) full chisel chain - no safety raker

PS3 : ( green label) full chisel chain with an extra safety raker

PM : ( yellow label ) semi-chisel chain - no safety raker

PM3 : ( green label ) semi-chisel chain with an extra safety raker.

Upgrading to a rim system will require you to use a 56 driver chain with a 16" stihl bar , the 55 driver chain is too short for whatever reason...same goes for adding a driver on 18", with the other GB and Oregon bars I have adding a driver was not necessary.

I feel sorry things so simple get mashed to hell and back on these forums.

As far as 50 gauge picco chain goes on your 241 :

PS : (yellow label) full chisel chain - no safety raker

PS3 : ( green label) full chisel chain with an extra safety raker

PM : ( yellow label ) semi-chisel chain - no safety raker

PM3 : ( green label ) semi-chisel chain with an extra safety raker.

Thank you

I just hope I'm as happy as I think I should be and not be wishing I had got the 261.

Out of all these posts, I've gathered I should leave the 16" bar on it and enjoy the PS3 chain. Forget about.325 or the 18" bars, and the rim drive adds no useful feature.

251 Wood Boss
45.6cc - 2.95 hp - 16"-18" bars

241 C-M
42.6cc - 3.1 hp - 12"-16" bars

201 C-EM
35.2cc - 2.41HP - 12"-16" bars

Someone explain this logic to me lol

Thank you

I just hope I'm as happy as I think I should be and not be wishing I had got the 261.

Out of all these posts, I've gathered I should leave the 16" bar on it and enjoy the PS3 chain. Forget about.325 or the 18" bars, and the rim drive adds no useful feature.

The rim gives you a smidge more chain speed and adds the convenience of just swapping rims if you like..you can throw a .325 (stihl branded) rim on if you want to experiment or swap over.

The saw also has the balls to pull it..especially with a muffler mod or ported obviously.

It's a great saw.

Back