MS250 or MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkersh409

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Due to Ike and insurance I have the opportunity to buy a chainsaw at half price. Only thing is right now chainsaws in this area are very thin pickings. One dealer has a MS250 with an 18" bar that he wants $380. Another dealer has a MS290 with an 18" bar for $380 as well. Not being much difference in engine size but the 250 is 3 lbs lighter. Which would everyone go with and why?

We have alot of oak up to 20" that have fell and need to cut up.

A MS290 will handle big stuff much better, you'll burn up a 250 in that big 20" stuff. And a MS250 at 380$ is about 50$ OVER LIST, and a 290 at 380$ is right on with an 18" bar.

If those are the choices I would get in truck and drive till I found a store with more choices. If that is not an option get the 290. Not a bad saw but you can do better.

That is two saw models that I would stay a long way away from if I had a choice, but given the circumstances I would go with the 290.

Last edited:
Ms290

I was in a similar situation after Katrina. I bought the MS290 with a 20" bar. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have paid more and gotten a bigger saw...but that's just me.
The 290 has been a great saw and has cut Lots of firewood (and even milled some) over the last 3 yrs. with *NO* problems except a cracked air filter cover...my stupid fault.

It's not a Pro-saw, but still better than most any at the big box stores.

I am really glad I got the 20" bar though.

Good Luck....and be smart/safe by spending another $50 on some real chaps.

Michael

I have an MS 250 that I used and abused and it is still running decently. I bought it about four or so years ago. Stihl is going through a lot of changes right now. They have moved all of their production to Virginia Beach. So, I do not know how quality is on their new saws (Sorry Stihl heads). I would consider some of the suggestions from others here to check out other manufacturers, if at all possible.

I have an MS 250 that I used and abused and it is still running decently. I bought it about four or so years ago. Stihl is going through a lot of changes right now. They have moved all of their production to Virginia Beach. So, I do not know how quality is on their new saws (Sorry Stihl heads). I would consider some of the suggestions from others here to check out other manufacturers, if at all possible.

something wrong with "Made in USA"?
gotta be better than if it were made in china...
I know its not Germany... but still its a Stihl.

Yes it is better than made in China, but with extreme changes like that can cause quality control issues and other problems until the bugs are worked out. There is nothing wrong with made in the "U.S.A.", but the economy the way it is, more and more U.S. companies will be outsourcing production to shady Asian countries or go under all-together. I do not want to see that happen to Stihl.

2 poor choices

I own an MS250, its a nice saw as long as you never run a better one. For $380 you could do much better. Those 2 Stihl's will be harder to start, vibrate more, etc. than several from other manufacturers. I'm sure Stihl makes some great saws in their higher priced ones, but the 2 you mentioned are at the bottom of the heap. Consider a Jonsered, Husky, Echo, etc. They make saws in the same size/price range that are much easier to start, have better anti-vibe, and are just generally more pleasant to run.

I have owned and used both the 290 and the 250 saws for years. The 290 is far better, in size, shape and features for what you seem to have to cut. Run it with a 20 inch bar, you will not have any problems.

Amusing that the Troll recommended the 290!!!!!!!

Yeeeehaw!
Sorry Niko...

:welcome: ... Stihl has been in Virginia Beach for some time now... But you're right they make junk... with all the "changes" they are going through...

Gary

I have owned and used both the 290 and the 250 saws for years. The 290 is far better, in size, shape and features for what you seem to have to cut. Run it with a 20 inch bar, you will not have any problems.

Amusing that the Troll recommended the 290!!!!!!!

Yeeeehaw!
Sorry Niko...

I have done it before, when it felt appropriate.....:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Due to Ike and insurance I have the opportunity to buy a chainsaw at half price. Only thing is right now chainsaws in this area are very thin pickings. One dealer has a MS250 with an 18" bar that he wants $380. Another dealer has a MS290 with an 18" bar for $380 as well. Not being much difference in engine size but the 250 is 3 lbs lighter. Which would everyone go with and why?

We have alot of oak up to 20" that have fell and need to cut up.

The MS 290 would be the best choice and I think you will like the saw they are the best bang for the buck stihl offers in non pro saws and are real work horses. :)

290 with a .325 x 20". 3/8 will work but I like them with .325 better.

We don't have the 290 (or 310) here, but the 390 comes standard with a 15" .325 bar.

The Stihls we get here is all made in Germany, as far as I know and the power rating of the under 70cc ones are a tad higher than on the VB saws (mostly muffler related, I believe). :)

Latest posts

Back