Ms251 or ms251c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodboss251

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Currently own an older ms210, looking to upgrade to the 251.

Is the easy start any good ?

I have heard some nightmare stories about the tool less adjuster.

Which one should I buy ?

Also, local dealer also has some ms250's still on the shelves.

Claim they sell better than the 251.

I just rebuilt my Dad's MS250C with the easy start. I have an easy start on one of my saws too, although I don't need it, but the Stihl one is better made. It's kind of funny that it's a metal casting on an otherwise plastic cased saw. This makes sense though because the large spring in these systems has a lot of force, and metal is a better material for a housing containing a big spring like that. Anyway, it works OK, and was a real benefit to my Dad when his shoulder was giving him trouble a couple of years ago.

One caution though - my easy start saw is modified and has more compression. The starter spring is barely able to overcome the increased compression at times. The starter on my Dad's Stihl felt about the same on that stock saw - there were times when it didn't pull over immediately.

The easy start is ok, the no tool chain adjust sucks balls. I am getting ready to convert mine to conventional. I read a post on here a while back that listed the needed parts needed but can't find it now.

Back