ms260 or ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawhoss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stopped at my local saw shop today to look at a new ms261. He didn't have one in stock, but did have an ms260 pro. I can get the 260 for $75.00 less than the 261.
What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I don't have a Stihl 261 but from the reviews I have read I would spend the extra 75 to get it over the 260

I guess the "right" answer is none of them, as the 260 was outdated before it came out, and the 261 isn't what a 50cc saw should be! :msp_rolleyes:

I've got both. Had my 261 for months. Approaching 20 tanks now and mostly in 14"-16" wood, just to see if it breaks. Runs better and better. This saw almost eliminates the market for a 362 IMO. The filtration is superb and is the cleanest saw I've ever ran, in terms of just staying clean. Mileage is great too. Mines stock w/18" RM 3/8ths chain.

With the added power and all the extra benefits over the 260 you soon will forget your $75. I paid $525 OTD, two chains. 260 was $50 less.

Have fun!

I've got both. Had my 261 for months. Approaching 20 tanks now and mostly in 14"-16" wood, just to see if it breaks. Runs better and better. This saw almost eliminates the market for a 362 IMO. The filtration is superb and is the cleanest saw I've ever ran, in terms of just staying clean. Mileage is great too. Mines stock w/18" RM 3/8ths chain.

With the added power and all the extra benefits over the 260 you soon will forget your $75. I paid $525 OTD, two chains. 260 was $50 less.

Have fun!

It looks like you totally miss the mark, 50cc saws aren't mainly about power, but about handling, unless you just want a saw to cut up firewood logs, and can't afford a larger one...:alien2:

It looks like you totally miss the mark, 50cc saws aren't mainly about power, but about handling, unless you just want a saw to cut up firewood logs, and can't afford a larger one...

Dang Troll someone pee in your cheerios

Dont rush.. Wait till he has both in stock then get the one that feels best.. I love the 260 with a muffler mod.. Haven't ran a 261 yet..

Dang Troll someone pee in your cheerios

Dont rush.. Wait till he has both in stock then get the one that feels best.. I love the 260 with a muffler mod.. Haven't ran a 261 yet..

Sure, but you still are wrong - there is no need to try the heavy 261.

The 241 is the replacement for the 260, if weight is a factor......

As a lighter, faster, better, alternative to the 290 for a small GP/firewood saw, the 261 is gonna be a GEM. The 260 was good in that role, so given better AV,filtration,and some extra grunt it will be better despite the weight gain.

For a specialized limbing saw? Troll is on the mark.

I suspect narrowly defined interpretations of utility are the cause of this quibble, and depending on individual perspective, both sides are right.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've ran both and own a 261, hands down buy the 261. Handles well, stronger than a 290, best air filtration on the market and a real gas sipper. As smooth as a chain saw gets. Absolutely worth the money. Mine came set up with a 18" bar.
I prefer it over the 346 husky I own, and it was my favorite 50cc saw until I bought the 261. Feature and performance wise it's well worth the extra cash.

Sure, but you still are wrong - there is no need to try the heavy 261.

The 241 is the replacement for the 260, if weight is a factor......

You are telling Oldsawnut he is wrong for telling the guy to try them both and see which one fits him best? Troll, you are getting more rediculous by the day, get real. This isnt about the 261, its about you talking about saws you know nothing about. Run one so you can give someone an educated opinion on a saw you know nothing about!

Thanks for all the input guys. It looks like I'll be buying the 261, with an 18" bar. Should be a great compliment to my 441, for firewood cutting. The old 025 has been a good saw, but it's seen it's better days. Thanks Again!

Congratulations!
I think you're making the right choice.

How bout some pics of that beauty when you get her?...:msp_thumbsup:

NO! Pics are bad! Makes me want one even more...

Sounds like the OP is going to make the right choice. I know for $75 more I would get the 261 for the air filtration upgrade, let alone the power everyone is talking about.

NO! Pics are bad! Makes me want one even more...
Sounds like the OP is going to make the right choice. I know for $75 more I would get the 261 for the air filtration upgrade, let alone the power everyone is talking about.

Yeah, what was I thinkn'?...
I'm desperately trying to NOT buy one myself...:cheers:

There's no decision to make here. I wouldn't even consider a 260 if the 261 is an option. It's light years ahead.

I would have to agree

Brother in law has a late model MS260 that I did muffler mod, squish, and light port cleanup on. Runs MUCH better than it ever did stock, but still not impressive. He also has a Poulan Forester 3400 that I did same mods to. He leaves the Stihl behind for the Poulan believe it or not. I really spoiled him the other day when I had him run my 346 which is still stock except for muff mod. I hope to line up with Brad's schedule some day (hint hint) and get this one done by an expert.

Went out and bought a new MS261 last Saturday and gave it a good workout that afternoon. I think I might have found a saw that I like better than my 028 super. I will never get rid of that 028 because it was my best friends fathers before he passed away, but it should take less abuse now as the 261 cuts rather well and handles great.

By the way, did I tell everyone how nice my wife is. I was debating on the saw while it was setting on the counter and all she said was, just do it! She is such a special woman. She has let me buy 2 new saws this year. MS660 and MS261. Wow, what a wife!!!!!!

Back