MS260 vs. Dolmar5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused again. In a past thread I was trying to decide between the MS290 and 5100, but aren't the 260 and 5100 more comparable saws? They're both 50cc saws and the 260 is about a pound lighter. I know the 260 is a pro grade saw and the Dolmar is considered pro grade by some, so what's the scoop? I've visited the Dolmar dealer who is an awesome guy, but I've also got a really likeable Stihl dealer fairly close as well. Honestly, I'd love to have a 361, but I don't know if I can shell out $600 bones on a saw. For those of you I haven't irritated before and to recap my usage, I'm a firewood/farm cleanup user, anywhere between 5-10 cords a year depending on time, max. diameter is in the 24" range but mostly 12-16" hardwood (oak, hickory, walnut, locust). Would the 260 be another one to consider? I apologize for beating this thing to death, but I want to make a wise decision here. Thanks.

Those two saws will do you well. Goodluck with your new saw.

Enough

This about enough of this crap flying all around. I've run them all, and with considerable time behind me on all of them now... The 260 is a slight step up from the 510, that's about it. For like $150 more it damn well should be. THE 026 WILL NOT CUT WITH THE 5100... I hate to tell you, somebody had to break the news, might as well be me. The 5100 is just barely a step down from the 5100, but is faster for limbing and small bucking up to around the 12 inch or so range. The 026 is a saw, as far as I'm concerned, mostly made for limbing and small bucking. The 5100 is way more versatile, just as light, and quite a bit faster, IMO!!!! The 026 is a damn fine saw, very smooth, VERY good torque for it's size, a little better than the 510 IMO, built a little heavier duty than the 5100/510, and super reliable like the old 036's. I've Nothing bad to say about any of them, the 026 is just not what the 5100 is. For the money, the 5100 and the 510 are the BEST saws on the market in the 50cc class. And by that I mean, don't be mentioning all the nearly 60cc saws cause I'll break out the 6400 and squish them all, lmao...

:cheers: eh?:clap:

nuf said eh?

Yea OK if you say so............ I ran a 350 and a 353 yesterday and Ill Keep running the Dolmar PS5100 thank you. IMO the 350 was built like crap sheetmetal screws and jesus clips to hold it together and the air injection LOLOL what a joke that was espically with the one I ran I had to remove the 48 room mudwasp condo in the air injection path lol. I can see use for the 350 style saw in SOFT woods wearing a 13" bar the one I ran had NK .325 x 18" and when I set it on a 8" dry White Oak with a sharp chain I had to hold it up. If I let the weight of the saw do the cutting the chain would STOP. What a gutless wonder IMO

All I can say is I have MANY MANY happy PS5100 users.

My .02 Now the husky heads can bash me for the night LOL

Scott

attachment.php

Nice

I'd pay an extra $20 for that cause I could get them to make honey and I could sell if for some extra cash while I'm cutting wood, lmfao... 2 sources of income... heheheheheheheheheh

:cheers: eh?

Never used a 5100, but I do like my 260 Pro with 16" bar and RSC chain very much.
It is light and cuts great.

But, having a good, reliable dealer around is worth a lot too.
If you like the Dolmar dealer and you like the 5100, go for it.

The 026/ms260 has more torque and is more expensive, lighter. Pund for pound the husqvarna 353 is a much better saw than the 5100, weighing the same and with a lot more power. Just my .02

The 5100 you ran must have had a hole in the piston or something. The 5100 will whoop all over an 026, and the 353 also. The 353 has about the same amount of torque as a 5100, but the 5100 has a lot more zip and cuts faster in wood up to 12" easily.

The 026 is okay, but for $475, it costs the most and has the least performance per dollar of ANY 50cc saw anywhere.

The 5100 you ran must have had a hole in the piston or something. The 5100 will whoop all over an 026, and the 353 also. The 353 has about the same amount of torque as a 5100, but the 5100 has a lot more zip and cuts faster in wood up to 12" easily.

The 026 is okay, but for $475, it costs the most and has the least performance per dollar of ANY 50cc saw anywhere.

I know you musky guys are in the dark most of the time, but if you didn't know, Dean is a saw builder. He has to run saws before and after mods. He didn't say the 260 was faster, he said more torque. As you know Stihl has always had more torque over others. They were meant to cut wood, not race in cookies.......

Either a 260 or 5100 will do, but you are not going to beat a 260, it has proven itself for many years.:clap:

I know you musky guys are in the dark most of the time, but if you didn't know, Dean is a saw builder. He has to run saws before and after mods. He didn't say the 260 was faster, he said more torque. As you know Stihl has always had more torque over others. They were meant to cut wood, not race in cookies.......

Either a 260 or 5100 will do, but you are not going to beat a 260, it has proven itself for many years.:clap:

Saw builder or not, a 260 simply does not have more torque than a 5100 stock. This "all Stihls have more torque" excuse to make up poor performance has to stop.

If you run both saws and tell me the 260 has more torque I will buy you a case of Bud and a box of cigars

The 026/ms260 has more torque and is more expensive, lighter. Pund for pound the husqvarna 353 is a much better saw than the 5100, weighing the same and with a lot more power. Just my .02

Actually, according to the specs of both companies the 353 weighs in at 11.0 lbs. with 3.3 horsepower. The revs. are 13,000.

The 5100 weighs in at 11.2 lbs. with 3.8 horsepower. The revs on the 5100 are at 14,500.

I've never ran a 353, but according to specs, I respectfully say this statement just doesn't add up.

I've ran a lot of saws. Not as many as some on this site, but the 5100 has become just about our favorite saw. I thought it would be too small, but the more I lean on it, it just seems to beg for more. The saw just flat out screams. My uncle has been in the tree business for 35 years and is a HUGE Stihl fan. He likes Jonesereds too. He just recently ran my 5100. Now, everytime we come to a job, he says, "Get me the Dolmar." I saw him again today and he said his next saw will be a Dolmar 5100. He say he likes it a LOT better than his ms280 and ms290.

Time will tell if it is dependable as the 260, but I'll tell you this: the design on the 5100 is practically perfect. The feel, the balance (with an 18" bar) is just perfect. It's easy to get to the necessary parts and it's designed to let the chips and dust just slide off on the outside. And under the clutch cover, it is the easiest saw to clean that I've ever seen. I just wish it had a compression release.

Just two weeks ago we ran side-by-side a fairly new broke-in 260 pro and a 5100. It was embarrassing. It wasn't even close. Torque? No comparison, the 5100 was by FAR torquier. I felt kinda sorry for the new owner of the 260 pro. But he had a Stihl dealer close by and they are a tried and true saw.

My son and I have been big Stihl fans and we regrettably had to admit that Dolmar has really out done the competition with their 5100 and 7900 models. These saws just flat out have GUTS and the Power Bands to match..

FYI: Saws I've ran and/or owned. Stihl 200t (2) - ms 260 pro - ms 280 - ms 290 - ms 361 - ms 460 (2) - ms 066 - ms 660 - Husky 575xp - 338 xpt California Edition - Dolmar 5100 - 7900

For your work load, I'd say my choice would be the 5100. It's the KING of the 50 cc class, IMO. I try to really be unbiased when it comes to saws and I really like the Huskies I've ran as well. (I hate the darn switch on the 338 though.)

BTW, a GOOD dealer will let you try the saw out RUNNING. A saw in your hand running feels different than just holding it in the store. Try them both. The 'feel' of a saw in my hands is extremely important to me. The 5100 is just right. It's just a better saw. (I haven't even mentioned the vibration levels.)

All this was comparing the saws as the same price. As a matter of fact, if the prices were flipped, I'd still buy the 5100. For example: if a 260pro cost 390.00 (which is what I paid for the 5100) and a 5100 cost 480.00 (which is what a 260 pro goes for) I'd take the Dolmar every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Please don't tell anyone, I don't want the prices to go up.

Take this advice for what you paid for it, I hope it helps.

Actually, according to the specs of both companies the 353 weighs in at 11.0 lbs. with 3.3 horsepower. The revs. are 13,000.

The 5100 weighs in at 11.2 lbs. with 3.8 horsepower. The revs on the 5100 are at 14,500.

I've never ran a 353, but according to specs, I respectfully say this statement just doesn't add up.

I've ran a lot of saws. Not as many as some on this site, but the 5100 has become just about our favorite saw. I thought it would be too small, but the more I lean on it, it just seems to beg for more. The saw just flat out screams. My uncle has been in the tree business for 35 years and is a HUGE Stihl fan. He likes Jonesereds too. He just recently ran my 5100. Now, everytime we come to a job, he says, "Get me the Dolmar." I saw him again today and he said his next saw will be a Dolmar 5100. He say he likes it a LOT better than his ms280 and ms290.

Time will tell if it is dependable as the 260, but I'll tell you this: the design on the 5100 is practically perfect. The feel, the balance (with an 18" bar) is just perfect. It's easy to get to the necessary parts and it's designed to let the chips and dust just slide off on the outside. And under the clutch cover, it is the easiest saw to clean that I've ever seen. I just wish it had a compression release.

Just two weeks ago we ran side-by-side a fairly new broke-in 260 pro and a 5100. It was embarrassing. It wasn't even close. Torque? No comparison, the 5100 was by FAR torquier. I felt kinda sorry for the new owner of the 260 pro. But he had a Stihl dealer close by and they are a tried and true saw.

My son and I have been big Stihl fans and we regrettably had to admit that Dolmar has really out done the competition with their 5100 and 7900 models. These saws just flat out have GUTS and the Power Bands to match..

FYI: Saws I've ran and/or owned. Stihl 200t (2) - ms 260 pro - ms 280 - ms 290 - ms 361 - ms 460 (2) - ms 066 - ms 660 - Husky 575xp - 338 xpt California Edition - Dolmar 5100 - 7900

For your work load, I'd say my choice would be the 5100. It's the KING of the 50 cc class, IMO. I try to really be unbiased when it comes to saws and I really like the Huskies I've ran as well. (I hate the darn switch on the 338 though.)

BTW, a GOOD dealer will let you try the saw out RUNNING. A saw in your hand running feels different than just holding it in the store. Try them both. The 'feel' of a saw in my hands is extremely important to me. The 5100 is just right. It's just a better saw. (I haven't even mentioned the vibration levels.)

All this was comparing the saws as the same price. As a matter of fact, if the prices were flipped, I'd still buy the 5100. For example: if a 260pro cost 390.00 (which is what I paid for the 5100) and a 5100 cost 480.00 (which is what a 260 pro goes for) I'd take the Dolmar every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Please don't tell anyone, I don't want the prices to go up.

Take this advice for what you paid for it, I hope it helps.

Great Post........

Scott

Saw builder or not, a 260 simply does not have more torque than a 5100 stock. This "all Stihls have more torque" excuse to make up poor performance has to stop.

If you run both saws and tell me the 260 has more torque I will buy you a case of Bud and a box of cigars

Call it what you like but I know what I will grab everytime. I must say that a 5100, from what others have said are bad arse saws. Freak mentioned sending one down to our GTG so I might get to run one. I have a 026 stocker and semi stocker here to test out. So far the ss has been a ripper, needs a few more tanks though. I just know I can grab either one and cut all day, that is what matters the most to me. To each his own.:cheers:

Stihl makes in my opinion the best made saw out there. That being said, I really like my Dolmar 7900. It is a torquey grunty saw. I have a few issues with Dolmar's product development and marketing, as many others do. If they would actually TRY to establish a dealer support network and quit developing chainsaws as a weekend job they might just give Husqvarna and Stihl one helluva run for the money. The issues I hate about my 7900 are new and honest: 1: CHAIN ADJUSTER 2: Felling dawgs (I fixed that little problem) and of course the dealer/parts issue.

Stihl makes in my opinion the best made saw out there. That being said, I really like my Dolmar 7900. It is a torquey grunty saw. I have a few issues with Dolmar's product development and marketing, as many others do. If they would actually TRY to establish a dealer support network and quit developing chainsaws as a weekend job they might just give Husqvarna and Stihl one helluva run for the money. The issues I hate about my 7900 are new and honest: 1: CHAIN ADJUSTER 2: Felling dawgs (I fixed that little problem) and of course the dealer/parts issue.

It IS a runnin suna:censored: ch , cant be denied.

I think from the threads. You will be happy with ethier one. Get one and enjoy because if you stay around here one will never be enough.:cheers:

Gtg

Call it what you like but I know what I will grab everytime. I must say that a 5100, from what others have said are bad arse saws. Freak mentioned sending one down to our GTG so I might get to run one. I have a 026 stocker and semi stocker here to test out. So far the ss has been a ripper, needs a few more tanks though. I just know I can grab either one and cut all day, that is what matters the most to me. To each his own.:cheers:

If I could get SOMEONE to tell me when it was I guarantee there'd be at least a dozen or so to try out, including the 510/5100/7900 and some Stihls/huskys/homelites to boot... Any idea when it's going to be???

:popcorn:

Dealer

Sadly.... If you lived up here near Cuttinscott and 166, you'd NEVER complain about dealer support again buddy. NEVER have I been to a better dealer, hence why I drive the 100 miles to get to them...

:cheers:

:clap:

Yea OK if you say so............ I ran a 350 and a 353 yesterday and Ill Keep running the Dolmar PS5100 thank you. IMO the 350 was built like crap sheetmetal screws and jesus clips to hold it together and the air injection LOLOL what a joke that was espically with the one I ran I had to remove the 48 room mudwasp condo in the air injection path lol. I can see use for the 350 style saw in SOFT woods wearing a 13" bar the one I ran had NK .325 x 18" and when I set it on a 8" dry White Oak with a sharp chain I had to hold it up. If I let the weight of the saw do the cutting the chain would STOP. What a gutless wonder IMO

All I can say is I have MANY MANY happy PS5100 users.

My .02 Now the husky heads can bash me for the night LOL

Scott

Like the 48 mudwasp condo could never happen in a stihl or a dolmar. I have a couple of each. WTF is that LMAO.... It goes on and on.

This, the 681 thing. I think the funniest thing was when the whole 7900 P/C incident happened between YOU and Gregg from Bailey's. You said WE have it, Gregg from Bailey's says we have it also. YOU say we have it $8.80 cheaper. Then YOU make a big fuss about it when Bailey's lowers their price below yours. "My opinion only" To me this was like them giving YOU the middle finger. "Just my opinion" If it was, I can't say I blame them. They kept their mouth shut and took action. While YOU had to pick up the pieces of your shattered $8.80 cheaper comment. The balance of respect was shifted.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=6239

I haven't been on this site to long, but I'll tell you what, I like the way Bailey's handles themselves on this site.

Now your ripping Bailey's for the Univent saw. Does it ever end LMAO..... I'm not sure what it is sour grapes or a case of jealousy is the best form of flattery.

I have never heard any other sponsor ripping another sponsor as much YOU. It seems to me that regular Joe Blow on this site gets banned for lesser.

I've never used a 260. I'm sure it's a great saw, if it runs anything like the 361 or 460 I have. I do have a 5100 and love it. I'm willing to believe Dean about the 260 having more stones down low. I have read many of his posts and come to respect what he has to say.

Brock.....

Latest posts

Back