MS260 vs. Dolmar5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note

On a side note, my step-father works for Asplundh here. He's been clearing miles and miles of trees, powerline work is his main clearing, for over 3 yrs with his MS-260 and has had NOT ONE problem with. In the summer he clears as much as 3+miles of trees by 100' wide EVERY day. In the winters and fall he will work on cutting for 18 hours a day sometimes during storms and whatnot... Thats pretty friggin' reliable if you ask me... He has thousands of hours behind his 260, and when he ran my 5100 he couldn't believe the difference in the power. I couldn't get him to convert, kinda like me when I first came on AS, but he did love the saw and said if they did away with the 260 he'd try out a 5100 for sure... For him he said the weight was marginally different, with the 260 being a bit lighter, but the power band on the 5100 be MUCH stronger. Those the words from a man with THOUSANDS OF HOURS on a 260. What else to say dude???

:clap: for both of them eh?

I was assuming the 353 had about the same amount of torque as my 55, which is pretty close to the 5100. But the 5100 runs 2000 more rpms so it kicks my 55's ass every time. Of course my 55 is muffler modded, so that might be the reason for the torque difference...

NO, the 353 is WEAK in torque compared to the 55. The 351 is too (older 1mm smaller bore version) but they are more "nimble" as troll would say.

Guys that have run the 5100 know what is up with all the hype. It just flat out kicks the other 50cc saws out of the water in speed and torque out of the box. Some same it is heavy, bulky, etc. End of the day, I'll still take my 5100 as my little saw.

For a real firewood saw, I would be looking at 60cc saws for the minimum.

I have both a Dolmar 5100S, Stihl MS260 and two Husqvarna 346XP (45 ccm) and just recently got a NE 346XP (not yet started up). My use is soft wood (spruce and pine) and firewood production, cutting smaller dimensions than normal in the US. I think the 346XP (45 ccm) is a very fast saw, with the Dolmar 5100S just a tiny bit slower, but with more torque. Its a great saw for sure. This is a US import, the version here is the Dolmar 5000 without the extra 1k rews from the S type coil. The Stihl MS260 is a great all round saw, but lacks the speed and the force from the Dolmar. Still its a great contruction, well proven. I would recommend both saws, but go for the type you like the best. Dealer location and friendliness is also a thing to consider.

Greetings, Hans, Norway.

I agree if the 5100 over here turned 1K slower the new 346 would woop on it pretty bad. The 346 to me is more of a limbing saw whereas the 5100 is more of a firewood type utility saw.

Weight???

Some same it is heavy, bulky, etc. End of the day, I'll still take my 5100 as my little saw.

Whoever said that needs to stop cutting wood dude. Pansies, lmao... hehehehehehe... I'd think from running a 90cc saw all day the 5100 would be a treat. Prolly some husky girls whining about a little vibe or that they had to push down on the saw a little to get it to cut faster, lmao... heheheheheheheheh

:laugh:
I couldn't help that one... And i hope nobody takes that serious, lol... :jester:

Whoever said that needs to stop cutting wood dude. Pansies, lmao... hehehehehehe... I'd think from running a 90cc saw all day the 5100 would be a treat. Prolly some husky girls whining about a little vibe or that they had to push down on the saw a little to get it to cut faster, lmao... heheheheheheheheh

:laugh:
I couldn't help that one... And i hope nobody takes that serious, lol... :jester:

No I don't take it seriously because I know you drive a prius.:cheers: I will say though I must have gotton a couple of 5100 from a bad batch or something. They are good saws but, mine don't live up to the hype.

No I don't take it seriously because I know you drive a prius.:cheers: I will say though I must have gotton a couple of 5100 from a bad batch or something. They are good saws but, mine don't live up to the hype.

MAybe if you would use them and break them in, they would run.

I was really disappointed in mine for the first 15-20 tanks, seriously

Thats what I thought about the NE346 I got to run............I was kinda lucky..I got to run it with cat and two weeks later with out.......made some difference but not enough for me to run out and buy one........I guess you just cant lean on the NE346 stock.....

Last edited:
Thats what I thought about the NE346 I got to run............I was kinda lucky..I got to run it with cat and two weeks later with out.......made some difference but not enough for me to run out and buy one........I guess you just cant lean on the NE346 stock.....

Yes to me also the NE346 is not a killer also. With the cat that is for sure. Not saying the 5100 is a bad saw. I like them. Just not my favorite 50cc saw

Mine sucked at first, was running rich. I didnt mess with the carb, instead I drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the muffler and it leaned the saw out just right, plus gave me the muffler mod effect. Now on top of that my saw has about 30 tanks through it and is really kickin ass. I have cut a lot of wood with my 55, but that 5100 just KILLS it. I only run the 55 once in a while because it sounds good.:chainsaw:

Mine sucked at first, was running rich. I didnt mess with the carb, instead I drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the muffler and it leaned the saw out just right, plus gave me the muffler mod effect. Now on top of that my saw has about 30 tanks through it and is really kickin ass. I have cut a lot of wood with my 55, but that 5100 just KILLS it. I only run the 55 once in a while because it sounds good.:chainsaw:

Open that 55 up, or put a closed port p/c on in and then open it up. I like my 55 because it will eat a 55/5100/346 and the look on peoples faces is priceless....but I still use the 5100 as my go to little saw.

Last edited:
Open that 55 up, or put a closed port p/c on in and then open it up. I like my 55 because it will eat a 55/5100/346 and the look on peoples faces is priceless....but I still use the 5100 as my go to little saw.

Where do you get a closed port p/c that will fit the 55 chassis? 254XP? I have a modded muff already

No I really like the NE as long as there is some work done to them. I really like a modded Old edition I think that my favorite. Its only 45cc. Nothing better to me IMO limbing in a brushy enviroment. You coming up for the 3rd and 4th

Where do you get a closed port p/c that will fit the 55 chassis? 254XP? I have a modded muff already

There were some EPA versions in 97,98 and 2003 that I have ran across, but they have the bigger combustion chambers. the real performers are:

PSSST, any partner 5000, 5000+, 5500, Jonsered 490 and 590 will bolt onto the chassis, erh uhm so I have been told......:)

Latest posts

Back